Tennessee Is 1-0 Against Creighton In The Series

looking at Creighton and their reputation of not fouling, should Barnes gameplan to pound the paint and make them foul or get easy drives? We do what we did against Texas and shoot badly like that and we lose if they shoot their normal game.
We have to work it inside. We should have an advantage there for sure. If we work the ball inside and it gets kicked out for a good 3 that’s fine but if we’re jacking 30+ 3s then it likely won’t go well for us. We better not over help too much on D either or they will find a ton of open 3s and we will lose. They’re a very good team but I think we pull it off 68-59. It won’t be a high scoring game.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
They play more like Bama than A&M or Miss St. if we slow down their 3s we win. Of course we can’t have a shooting night like last night.

I have been worried about Creighton since the season started. They were one of the teams i said to myself i hope we dont see in our bracket in March. They are dangerous shooters when hot. I just hope we can pressure them into rushed shots and we are making at least 8 three pointers Friday night. Dalton doesnt have to go off for 40. We need a steady dose of every player pulling their weight. I think we are a better team when Dalton is passing the ball more like a decoy. So many times there is a dump off pass available to an open man. Quit forcing stuff and take what the defense gives us a trust the other guys to do their job. Tennessee 73 Creighton 68
Why does DK get criticized for taking shots and Barnes saying he needs to get his teammates involved? It was clear last night that no one could hit the broad side of a barn. Vescovi doesn’t even shoot and that’s a problem for our offense. At some point DK just has to take over. Survive and advance.

Why such low scores? Were FG worth only 1 pt back then? Were games shorter?
Edit: before the shot clock (1980's), games were lower scoring -- was that all?
Until 1938, the rules required a jump ball at center court after every made basket!

It was (between jump balls) a game of intricate movement and passing. But this was before the one-handed jump shot, so most scoring came off of layups or big, winding hook shots.

Watch and daydream of going back in time and being the star of your high school team...

Last edited:
Why does DK get criticized for taking shots and Barnes saying he needs to get his teammates involved? It was clear last night that no one could hit the broad side of a barn. Vescovi doesn’t even shoot and that’s a problem for our offense. At some point DK just has to take over. Survive and advance.
There are times he forces shots where he could have dumped it off. Most times he gets bailed out with a foul call. If he is making shots he should put up as many as he can. But he has to be a facilitator also. His ability to drive can lead to open shots for teammates. They just have to hit their shots also. Last night was a dumpster fire for everyone shooting.

My own rough impression, not being all that familiar with Creighton other than in the last week really, is that UT has better talent, Creighton has better coaching.

looking at Creighton and their reputation of not fouling, should Barnes gameplan to pound the paint and make them foul or get easy drives? We do what we did against Texas and shoot badly like that and we lose if they shoot their normal game.
Probably lose badly too

My own rough impression, not being all that familiar with Creighton other than in the last week really, is that UT has better talent, Creighton has better coaching.

If that's your opinion on coaching then you got to have a reason(s). Based on what?

Last edited:
Not really. They don’t try to push pace like Bama. They’re 227th nationally in tempo. They get their threes by running half court action.
If they get their shots via half court action, that would encourage me. That would allow our depth and tenacity on defense to be a greater factor.

If we're effective and take them deep into the shot clock, we might end up closer to that 1937 score than anyone would expect.

If they get their shots via half court action, that would encourage me. That would allow our depth and tenacity on defense to be a greater factor.

If we're effective and take them deep into the shot clock, we might end up closer to that 1937 score than anyone would expect.
They walked the ball up the floor every trip against Oregon. They don’t play fast at all.

If they try to start a track meet with us, we’ll blow them out. We are much more athletic

They have to outshoot us to win.

Attachments

• who-da-fook-conor-mcgregor.gif
    who-da-fook-conor-mcgregor.gif
    311.5 KB · Views: 2
After watching the Creighton game last night I worry that Aidoo and Awaka won't be able to shoot over him but the pick and roll game and anything fast break should be in our favor because is pretty slow getting up and down the court. It also seems like they don't have the dudes to beat us off the dribble and hurt us going to the basket like A&M and North Carolina did. Their best chance to win is probably being hot from 3-pt range which can absolutely happen, but our defense is really good and since there prob won't be a ton of drive and kick type shots I feel pretty good about it.

I like our chances against Creighton if we at least shoot decently from 3 and the defense remains solid.

I was looking through the box scores of most of Creighton’s games and I found something interesting. Their starting five plays about 95% of the minutes. Two of their starters logged 50 minutes of gameplay against Oregon. They do not sub many guys into the game which makes sense why they don’t foul much. It’s because they can’t afford to. They’ll give up baskets before the get in foul trouble because they ride with their starting 5 most of the game.

VN Store

Back