Tennessee 7th best SEC job according to Athlon

Tennessee may be the 7 best SEC job as of recently, but all time rankings would have to be at least 3rd or 4th or that's the way I see it and that's being conservative.

UT did hire the General to beat Vandy

they could be,but there admin and fans aren't behind the football program these days

it is a shame,for them,when UT colors there home field Orange and White :)

Your second paragraph is exactly why UT is in the boat we are in

No way Auburn is a better job than UT, for the simple fact that you have to deal with the Iron
Bowl 24/7/365. Its ridiculous. And LSU was a crap job before Saban arrived, and it will be a
crap job again when Miles is fired
LSU is historically one of the upper tier programs in the SEC. They went through a phase similar to what we're coming out of now in the 90s. They have 11 SEC championships all time.

Im saying he doesn't win games like he should. He had to have a Heisman to win what he did three years ago. Two years ago they lost more than they should have with Johnny Drinks. Last year, they were average. Winning s bowl game doesn't make you good. It means you won a bowl game. I wouldn't say we were good because we won our bowl game. I hope they are good on defense because if not, several folks are going to want someone else in there due to his lack of being a complete HC.

When has Chavis not fielded a decent to good defense?

His record percentage wise is better than Butch's. He coaches in the hardest division in college football in the SEC west.
Ta&M wasn't exactly a powerhouse when he got the job. So no i dont think anyone is going to be calling for another guy anytime soon if he keeps his percentage up.
The dude beat Bama in Tuscaloosa with a less talented team.

A&M was relatively young last year and have been hit with injury bug as well.

Complete head coach? Hes as as complete as any coach in the conference. Even great coaches need good cooridinators as well.

When has Chavis not fielded a decent to good defense?

His record percentage wise is better than Butch's. He coaches in the hardest division in college football in the SEC west.
Ta&M wasn't exactly a powerhouse when he got the job. So no i dont think anyone is going to be calling for another guy anytime soon if he keeps his percentage up.
The dude beat Bama in Tuscaloosa with a less talented team.

A&M was relatively young last year and have been hit with injury bug as well.

Complete head coach? Hes as as complete as any coach in the conference. Even great coaches need good cooridinators as well.
All his defenses have sucked. Seems to be pretty incomplete to me. I have to see what chief does before I say that this year's defense is good. You can't say he's done a good job before they've played a game. Comparing sumlin to Jones is stupid. Different cirmstances for each one. Jones followed Fooley and Sumlin simply did not.

Last edited:
Georgia and Florida are better jobs recruiting base wise. Those states have better players than Texas.

Not even close. Texas is far and away the best individual talent for one state in the nation, then California, then Florida, then Georgia. Just a much wider pool to choose from, and most will agree to that.

All his defenses have sucked. Seems to be pretty incomplete to me. I have to see what chief does before I say that this year's defense is good. You can't say he's done a good job before they've played a game. Comparing sumlin to Jones is stupid. Different cirmstances for each one. Jones followed Fooley and Sumlin simply did not.

Your mom is stupid...

Now that statement is stupid! To say something about a woman I don't even know. So you should be more careful with your words is where i'm getting at...

It's a statistical fact that Sumlin coaches in a harder division yet has a higher winning percentage than Butch.
But is Butch an incomplete coach?? I think not.

If you're going to criticize the defense then give credit to his great offenses who have been ringing up points on some of the toughest defenses in CFB.

I "ASKED" when has Chavis ever not fielded a decent to good defense.
Of course we can't judge him on this year, because this year hasn't happened yet, Captain Obvious.

Last edited:
Not even close. Texas is far and away the best individual talent for one state in the nation, then California, then Florida, then Georgia. Just a much wider pool to choose from, and most will agree to that.

I disagree. The top talent in Texas doesn't match Georgia, Florida or even California.

Your mom is stupid...

Now that statement is stupid! To say something about a woman I don't even know. So you should be more careful with your words is where i'm getting at...

It's a statistical fact that Sumlin coaches in a harder division yet has a higher winning percentage than Butch.
But is Butch an incomplete coach?? I think not.

If you're going to criticize the defense then give credit to his great offenses who have been ringing up points on some of the toughest defenses in CFB.

I "ASKED" when has Chavis ever not fielded a decent to good defense.
Of course we can't judge him on this year, because this year hasn't happened yet, Captain Obvious.

It took a kid coming out of nowhere for Sumlin to win like he did 3 years ago. He wins in spite of his defense. I consider a coach that has a quality defense and a quality offense a complete coach. Sumlin has never had that. Thus the incomplete coach statement that I made.
To judge Jones and compare him to Sumlin is, what you called, stupid. Jones has had to deal with Dooley's mess of Sun Belt talent, therefore deeming any comparison ridiculous or as you might spell it redicilous. Sumlin had more talent when he started and still does given his head start that he's got on Jones. My point is he should win more given his talent, but he doesn't. Reminds me of Zook and until he corrects that defense, he will continue to under achieve given the roster talent.
I want to clarify, finishing middle of the pack the past two years in any division is not acceptable if you are bringing in championship quality players. After the next two years for Jones to recruit, if Jones is finishing 3Rd or 4th in the east then we won't like it. But, if he makes it a habit then he won't last. If Sumlin doesn't win the west in the next few years he will feel his seat warm as well. Lastly on this topic, Sumlin finished 3-5 in the SEC. You have to be kidding me if you think that gets him job security. You want win percentage, thats below par my friend. Lets not act like 3-5 isn't on par for Zook's career at Florida.
Lastly, I feel you are giving him a pass for always having a not so hot defense. He's the coach, he's responsible for both sides of the ball I believe. I feel like I'm stating common sense here, but come on back and call me stupid again and win the name calling war.
I reread your post and you are absurd. In rebuttal to your he's as complete a coach statement, try Saban, Richt, and with the exception of last year Spurrier just to name a few.
You mentioned he beat a more talented Bammer team, well he lost to a less talented Missouri team. Mizzou ran plays where Aggies avoided tackling people. Actual play, a safety could have pushed him out of bounds but it looked as if he tried to avoid contact. But, you don't think Sumlin should be held accountable for that side of the ball. Also, he lost to a bad LSU team that was also young. Hard to play the young card, when you play another young team. I must be arguing with a youngster, can't be more than college student.

Last edited:
Florida, Bama, A&M, UGA, and LSU are all better jobs from an ease of recruiting point of view. But Tennessee is willing to spend a lot of money to offset that, so it's not like there's some giant gap between any of those jobs and UT.

People always say the ''lack of instate talent'' thing. I think it really began with Fulmer. The reality is that's not really a huge disadvantage. Though tn doesn't have quite as man blue chippers as Georgia per say...when you go in a three hundred mile radius around Knoxville, there are millions of people. Metro Atlanta is as close to ut as it is Uga. Also, UT doesn't have to compete with anyone else for the tip is state players such as Florida with several major universities.

I'll say that ut could be as high as no.2 behind only Bama. And Bama is there primarily because of tradition. We are right on par with lsu, Uga.

People always say the ''lack of instate talent'' thing. I think it really began with Fulmer. The reality is that's not really a huge disadvantage. Though tn doesn't have quite as man blue chippers as Georgia per say...when you go in a three hundred mile radius around Knoxville, there are millions of people. Metro Atlanta is as close to ut as it is Uga. Also, UT doesn't have to compete with anyone else for the tip is state players such as Florida with several major universities.

I'll say that ut could be as high as no.2 behind only Bama. And Bama is there primarily because of tradition. We are right on par with lsu, Uga.

I absolutely agree with your general premise. Knoxville is a very nice hub for college football recruitment. Just one correction: Knoxville is about 210 miles from Atlanta ... Athens is only about 70 miles from Atlanta. Otherwise, I agree entirely!

Florida making the top 5 with it's current and recent condition?

Florida making the top 5 with it's current and recent condition?

It's still the land of milk and honey as far as recruiting is concerned. A little momentum goes a long, long way in that state. Just look at FSU's class. If this were the Urban days, all those kids would be headed to UF.

VN Store

Back