Tennessee 7th best SEC job according to Athlon

1.Georgia
2.Florida
3.LSU
4.Alabammy
5.Vols, b
6.Auburn
7.A&M

I think some of you are really under estimating the A&M job, they truly are a "sleeping giant". I couldn't imagine if they had a Saban type coach in College Station. They basically have the rivals 150 in their back yard and the play in the SEC.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow Yank! 5th? Maybe over the past several years but not taken as a whole with a long term view.

How far back to you want to go? We are in season 16 of the new century with no hardware in the trophy case.

Winning is the only thing that helps. Hopefully soon we'll be back in the mix as the top team in the SEC.

the number of coaches we have been through in the past few years can't help our cases that alone is enough to drop us to 7th if not worse. a year or 2 from now it will be a different story. but until we have a coach more than 3 years its a scary place to take a job. expectation by the fanbase almost always diverge from reality.

It's just so funny how a little time changes everyone's prospective. It was just a few years ago that Bama had fired their fourth coach in about 10 years. They went hard after rich rod, who chose Michigan over Bama. They waited several more weeks before eventually landing in Satan. That was 8 years ago. Now, of course Bama is the greatest institution in the history of time and we suck.
The reality is that we are a top 3-4. There's not much that separates us from Florida, Georgia, and lsu.

No they won't. Miles and Saban have built LSU into a national powerhouse, even to this day. Yes, they've had a few down years, but for them that's like losing 4 games a year. They have won recent championships and have produced the most NFL talent in the last 10 years, along with Alabama. Also, sit in a recruiting hot bed in Louisiana and can get almost anyone from Texas and Mississippi. They also have one of the biggest and loudest stadiums. Because of the standards that Saban and Miles have set there, LSU is still sitting pretty if Miles leaves.

I do agree with your first point though. I think UT is better than Auburn, simply because we have a much bigger fanbase, better facilities, and we're not competing with another major SEC school in our own state (Vandy sucks crap).

How many examples do you want me to give you of a program that was "built into a national power" that
went to complete crap? I might break VN's server if I post a comprehensive list.

It's just so funny how a little time changes everyone's prospective. It was just a few years ago that Bama had fired their fourth coach in about 10 years. They went hard after rich rod, who chose Michigan over Bama. They waited several more weeks before eventually landing in Satan. That was 8 years ago. Now, of course Bama is the greatest institution in the history of time and we suck.
The reality is that we are a top 3-4. There's not much that separates us from Florida, Georgia, and lsu.

Agreed.

1) Alabama
2) Florida
3) Tennessee
4) Georgia
5) A & M
6) LSU
7) USC
8) Arkansas
9) AUB
10) Ole Miss
11) Miss St.
12) Georgia Tech
13) Tulane
14) Kentucky
15) Vandy

Florida, Bama, A&M, UGA, and LSU are all better jobs from an ease of recruiting point of view. But Tennessee is willing to spend a lot of money to offset that, so it's not like there's some giant gap between any of those jobs and UT.

Florida, Bama, A&M, UGA, and LSU are all better jobs from an ease of recruiting point of view. But Tennessee is willing to spend a lot of money to offset that, so it's not like there's some giant gap between any of those jobs and UT.

Solid take.

And being relevant makes the recruiting easier given the geography setback.

First of all, Athlon has always been a half-ass operation. They kick out their preseason commentary, and then what? Personally, I don't mind his perspective. My problem is- his level of investigation to make these statements was very shallow.

It's not all about in-state talent or proximity to talent. It doesn't hurt, but there are always options for good recruits. For most recruits, it's about coaches/scheme, facilities, proximity, competition, success and education.

Now that UT has the right Head Coach and staff, UT has a great balance of all those elements to offer recruits. One poster mentioned it earlier- UT is in easy driving distance to a lot of places. I grew up North of Detroit and it was only an 8 hour drive to get there. The truth is that Tennessee is one of a handful of programs that provides a coaching staff with every possible advantage to be the best possible program in the country. The rest of them we all know. There are 7 or 8 of them in the SEC, and 2 or 3 of them in each of the other big conferences.

I think its really funny just how sensitive some of you really are. You guys get this butt hurt over some article written in April 5 months away from kick off. I would have ranked Tennessee 12 best job in the SEC after dick Dooley left but now I'd say the 7 hole is a good place.

If A&M starts winning, they should be top 3. Better recruiting than any school on this list and they can out recruit the little UT at this point just by saying SEC. If they get the best recruits in Texas they can compete every year.

Athlon is STUPID!! :blink:

chilmonty-albums-my+pics-picture5119-ron-white-2jpg-569e1c2127814c6f.jpg

That ranking us bull crap

Without some pretty specifically defined criteria, the whole notion is kind of silly.

There are a few advantages that some schools my have in terms of recruiting base, financial support/reserves and such, but for the most part a coaching job is as good as coach makes it.

If CBJ (or any other SEC coach for that matter) bangs out a championship or two and strings together a few 10+ win seasons, he creates his own national prominence, exposure, financial strength, etc.

There's really no SEC school that couldn't do that with prolonged success on the field. Arguably, there's one or two schools that are not likely at all to be able to generate that success, but otherwise they're all great jobs. It's almost like attempting to argue which NFL HFC job is best. The answer to that is "the one not owned by Jerry Jones."

or Dan Snyder...

I agree . Sumlin should be doing better than what he is. Maybe The Chief can turn it around for him. Having said that, he kinda reminds me of Zook. Great recruiter but not so much on the coaching front.

He's won all 3 of his Bowl games. Their problem has been defense.
Well... they just got Chief like you said.

They've been recruiting top notch for 3 years now.

Watch out this year. I think we end up playing A&M...

Talented QB. Strong OL and talented DL. SupeR talented skill players.

They sound like us when you lay it out like that

He's won all 3 of his Bowl games. Their problem has been defense.
Well... they just got Chief like you said.

They've been recruiting top notch for 3 years now.

Watch out this year. I think we end up playing A&M...

Talented QB. Strong OL and talented DL. SupeR talented skill players.

They sound like us when you lay it out like that

Im saying he doesn't win games like he should. He had to have a Heisman to win what he did three years ago. Two years ago they lost more than they should have with Johnny Drinks. Last year, they were average. Winning s bowl game doesn't make you good. It means you won a bowl game. I wouldn't say we were good because we won our bowl game. I hope they are good on defense because if not, several folks are going to want someone else in there due to his lack of being a complete HC.

If A&M starts winning, they should be top 3. Better recruiting than any school on this list and they can out recruit the little UT at this point just by saying SEC. If they get the best recruits in Texas they can compete every year.

Georgia and Florida are better jobs recruiting base wise. Those states have better players than Texas.

Heck, LSU should be higher. There's no competition for them in a state full of talent. There's no reason for LSU to not be competing for championships every year.

I think it's a fair ranking considering the absolute mess the program became since the firing of Fulmer. It just screamed incompetence from top to bottom. Butch is turning it around but we aren't there yet.

No they won't. Miles and Saban have built LSU into a national powerhouse, even to this day. Yes, they've had a few down years, but for them that's like losing 4 games a year. They have won recent championships and have produced the most NFL talent in the last 10 years, along with Alabama. Also, sit in a recruiting hot bed in Louisiana and can get almost anyone from Texas and Mississippi. They also have one of the biggest and loudest stadiums. Because of the standards that Saban and Miles have set there, LSU is still sitting pretty if Miles leaves.

I do agree with your first point though. I think UT is better than Auburn, simply because we have a much bigger fanbase, better facilities, and we're not competing with another major SEC school in our own state (Vandy sucks crap).

I agree, it reminds me of when Spurrier left Florida. Before Spurrier, Florida was a mediocre job at best and seemed unable to overcome the recruiting disadvantage of sharing the state of Miami and Florida State. Since then they have recruited elite players with three different coaches, only the second of which produced elite results. I assume that the fourth one will also recruit very well beginning next year, but time will tell I guess...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back