Tenn absent from Creme's Bracketology

I think you have to have a certain amount of wins to get in.........I don't know if replacing Holly is good or bad........who would want to come to a University that has a legend like Pat Summit and play under that shadow?

I think this is a real issue with replacing Holly.

Pat's shadow is not an issue for the next coach, but it is for the current one. And for Holly, it was from day 1.

In two or three years after getting "their" recruits in, and we are still not making the tournament? Then, she might start haunting that coach. But since many feel Holly has brought the program low, the next coach would be given some time before firewood is gathered and pitchforks are brought outta toolsheds.

Largely true, but I think a lot of people would be surprised at the coaches that would turn the other way if this job were open simply due to some of the "extras" that come with this program. For lack of a better terminology there are a lot of potentially problematic entrenched personalities both inside and outside of the program and UT that many people--especially the up and coming generation of coaches do not want to do deal with. Inside the program we are talking both general and sport specific administrative and support personnel. Outside we are talking journalists, boosters, people of special interest who've had unfiltered access going back to the 1980's, and former employees. Many of them now take it upon themselves to defend all things Pat Summit. In some cases that's good. At other times it can drive people away.

As an example, Jeff Walz of Louisville will never be the coach at UT. You will see Jeff Walz at Tennessee Tech before he is ever at UT. Why? If you recall back when Holly was under a lot heat last year certain individuals with fairly significant profiles linked to the LV program took to social media attacking his character and labeling him a cheater. Should these people matter? Probably not, but anyone coaching at UT will have to minimize their influence and deal with them constantly digging around your program if they don't like something you are doing because "its not what Pat would have done".

I'm not sure what you mean by "individuals with significant profiles linked to the basketball program"--but I'm quite sure nobody with the basketball program attacked Walz. If you are talking about an individual who covers the team and has been with another site for a long time, well, that person is not going to keep Walz or any other coach from joining the program. (If Walz were not to be interested in coaching UT, the most logical reason might be that his program is in better shape that ours at the moment, and so why leave a good thing?) As for Summitt defenders, she's been gone a long time now and so PS is not relevant to the current state of the program. Plenty of excellent coaches WOULD be interested in UT--and to think otherwise is absurd.

Also absurd is the idea that replacing an assistant will solve our problems. Seriously? Our problems start at the top, and replacing an assistant would only extend the program's time in the wilderness. As for HW's feelings, they are not relevant, either. Her job is to win games and make us a power program again and instead we are becoming more irrelevant with each passing year.

Reactions: 1 person
Arm--

Yes you are correct no one on the staff did--nor would they. We do a lot of things wrong but class is not one of them. You on the right track with the individuals but there are more than just one. Known individuals in both the sport and college athletics who are a phone call away from a story lead for Sally Jenkins or Mechelle Voepel.

You are correct that these individuals can't prevent a coach from coming here but that's not the question. The question is whether the harassment and nit picking from those quarters is worth it? For many that answer will be no.

From my point of view Dunbar is just as good a defender as Reynolds and a much better scorer. Reynolds is giving us less than five points from the point guard position and Middleton playing there is a lot of turnovers. I think if were going to win this season may have to let Diamond play the point and put Dunbar and Middleton at the shooting guard with Nared at the three. I think we need Nunn inside for rebounding with Russell. Reynolds gets a few minutes relieving Diamond at the point.
I don't see any other option except keeping a three point threat in the lineup at all times. Reynolds has been a big failure as a scorer if she can't come around we'll keep losing.
She has to be able to average 10 to 12 points on less than 10 shots if she can't do that and we can't find someone who can the losses with keep coming in SEC play.

KD is not a scorer she's an inconsistent shooter that has to be open to get a shot. Diamond game would suffer at pg spot and Reynolds is better equipped at the 2 guard but unfortunately our best option at 1 spot. diamond should go to the wing Middleton and meme the 2 spot and nared to the 4 with Russell at center. Kd can get time at the wing and power foward positions to stretch the defense.

Good points on Jordan!

I don't get her at all. She's a basketball player wearing a Lady Vol uniform. As a kid she must had watched Candace Parker, Shannon Bobbitt, Alexis Hornbuckle et al play the game?! Why wouldn't she not want to hunt for her shots to score? I don't get it. She's a big guard. She should be given her team at least 10 pts a game AT LEAST! She's actually taken up space and doing the team a disservice by not being offensive minded. I could see if her scoring is down but her assists numbers were up but their not so there is that.

I had such high hopes for Jordan but you are correct. J.R. is a senior and if she's not producing sit her down and put Kortney Dunbar into the game.
Starting 5
Diamond
Jaime
Kortney
Shaquilla
Mercedes
Might as well?
This team would be worse with her at the point and kd hasnt shown any reason to why she would start over Middleton or meme. Nunn should come off the bench and put nared at the 4 with diamond at the 3 and Middleton and Reynolds at the 1 and 2. I truly feel that if Reynolds was running off more screens versus setting up every1 else's shot or creating her own her game would be more productive. Unfortunately, we have had to force players play different positions than what they should due to injuries and lack of depth.

This team would be worse with her at the point and kd hasnt shown any reason to why she would start over Middleton or meme. Nunn should come off the bench and put nared at the 4 with diamond at the 3 and Middleton and Reynolds at the 1 and 2. I truly feel that if Reynolds was running off more screens versus setting up every1 else's shot or creating her own her game would be more productive. Unfortunately, we have had to force players play different positions than what they should due to injuries and lack of depth.

Pure fantasy. Jordan doesn't set anyone up because she doesn't drive and dish on a consistent basis, and even if she does occasionally attack the paint, her poor jumper makes her not even worth the second defender. Chances are she will miss the shot. This whole idea that Jordan is playing out of position is nothing more than an excuse. She was recruited to be a PG. Here's a writeup of her recruitment:

Central Catholic's Jordan Reynolds on choosing Tennessee: "It's been my dream school" - OregonLive.com

Key excerpts:

Reynolds, considered one of the country's top point guard prospects, selected the Volunteers over her two other finalists, Ohio State and Louisville.

Reynolds says she's been told that she would probably play both guard positions during her first year in college, and eventually move into the team's point guard role.

The problem isn't that she is playing out of position. The problem is that she never became a good college player.

...Reynolds is better equipped at the 2 guard but unfortunately our best option at 1 spot. diamond should go to the wing Middleton and meme the 2 spot and nared to the 4 with Russell at center...

I must be missing something in your meaning. Isn't your lineup the lineup that has been run most of the season after Nunn went out of the starting lineup?

Reactions: 1 person
Pure fantasy. Jordan doesn't set anyone up because she doesn't drive and dish on a consistent basis, and even if she does occasionally attack the paint, her poor jumper makes her not even worth the second defender. Chances are she will miss the shot. This whole idea that Jordan is playing out of position is nothing more than an excuse. She was recruited to be a PG. Here's a writeup of her recruitment:

Central Catholic's Jordan Reynolds on choosing Tennessee: "It's been my dream school" - OregonLive.com

Key excerpts:

Reynolds, considered one of the country's top point guard prospects, selected the Volunteers over her two other finalists, Ohio State and Louisville.

Reynolds says she's been told that she would probably play both guard positions during her first year in college, and eventually move into the team's point guard role.

The problem isn't that she is playing out of position. The problem is that she never became a good college player.
Dont care what she was recruited as. Once she is on campus as a coach you put her in the best positions for her to help the team. Unfortunately inquiries has hindered her to be the 2. Its hard to do anything when the players around you just stand around. And a lot of the shots she would take would be at the end of shot clocks with no other option. I saw that article already so u wasted your energy and time on that 1. But I respect your opinion, you are entitled to it.. And so am I with mine

I must be missing something in your meaning. Isn't your lineup the lineup that has been run most of the season after Nunn went out of the starting lineup?

Mostly the line up that was getting majority of the time was JR at the point Diamond at the 2 and nared or meme at the 3 spot with nunn and Russell. Maybe i shouldve said the line up that should start and play the most with it throughout the game. I did on another post so my bad. But my lineup starting was JR Alexa diamond Nared Russell. Which i felt shouldve been the line up the whole season thus far. (imo)

VN Store

Back