Ten Thoughts (Another Coaching Search Edition

If you find a guy (take Brad Underwood for example) that is young and believe is going to be a top 10 coach, then give him the money upfront. Make the commitment.

Thanks for the post- good thoughts. I disagree with this point though because, one, it is simply too risky, and, two, this doesn't usually happen. In other words, the market doesn't require it.

You get your guy at the right price. When it's a proven winner from a big-time program that already commands a premium, then, and only then, is it the right price. When it's someone whose only sticking point is the number and there aren't 3 other suitors beating down the door, then most likely it's time to move on.

But when you do the right things and get the right guy, THIS is the time to keep him. It's the contract renegotiating that becomes critical. Now that you have more evidence that you got the right guy, keep him.

Archie signed an extension. He is staying at Dayton.

I'll never understand the belief that this somehow realistically removes him from consideration. All it does is provide him security and possibly up his buyout. In some cases, this takes coaches out of consideration, but it isn't an automatic.

You all that think UT won't pay big money for a basketball coach are crazy. Of course the premium will be paid as a buyout, but make no mistake some mediocre mid-major coach is about to hit the UT lottery...

You all that think UT won't pay big money for a basketball coach are crazy. Of course the premium will be paid as a buyout, but make no mistake some mediocre mid-major coach is about to hit the UT lottery...
If we're so crazy, what big-name coach is out there, who has a great track record of success and is even on the market not named Gregg Marshall? Rick Barnes track record is debatable, he's an underachiever, if you hated Cuonzo for not getting the most out of his talent, you'll hate Rick Barnes.

If we're so crazy, what big-name coach is out there, who has a great track record of success and is even on the market not named Gregg Marshall? Rick Barnes track record is debatable, he's an underachiever, if you hated Cuonzo for not getting the most out of his talent, you'll hate Rick Barnes.

My apologies, the iPhone won't allow me to select blue font... I figured the irony and sarcasm would speak for itself.

VN Store

Back