Tamarion McDonald is entering the transfer portal

Wow! So either Willie Martinez is very unpopular / about to get fired or we've told almost our entire secondary to take a hike. Who do we even have left at this point? Are we going to play a bunch of walk-ons in the bowl game?

Difficult to know what to think right now. Secondary obviously underachieved more than any other unit (O-line and WRs struggled too, but mostly due to injuries / lack of depth, more than outright underperformance), but weird to see this many DBs leave at the same time.

Wow! So either Willie Martinez is very unpopular / about to get fired or we've told almost our entire secondary to take a hike. Who do we even have left at this point? Are we going to play a bunch of walk-ons in the bowl game?

Difficult to know what to think right now. Secondary obviously underachieved more than any other unit (O-line and WRs struggled too, but mostly due to injuries / lack of depth, more than outright underperformance), but weird to see this many DBs leave at the same time.

It could be they know something about Martinez's future.

Just a team turning the page on some older players and some senior/covid seniors recognizing that change would be good for both sides...especially this secondary. Another year with play like we saw this year just can't be acceptable. I'd rather see our more talented athletes make mistakes while being aggressive and playing man than the usual 7-10 yard cushion and soft zone chasing from behind.

Deshawn Rucker too. This is a huge coincidence. I can't help but wonder if there's a scheme change coming and these guys just don't fit it, and they've been asked to move along.
I don't think they're capable of playing the way an SEC secondary needs to play and what you posted above is exactly what's taking place....or that's my hope.

Martinez has been in lame duck status all year with his contract.

Gotta think with this much movement among the DBs, something is coming down the pipe on a change.

Doesn't seem like there would be enough time given signing day is Dec 20, but it would be nice to grab a replacement for Martinez who could bring a couple of recruits with him.

All assuming Martinez is actually on his way out. Think LWS or someone was talking potential retirement.

Given the performance on the field, this team needs a change there no matter how's it's accomplished IMO.

Just a team turning the page on some older players and some senior/covid seniors recognizing that change would be good for both sides...especially this secondary. Another year with play like we saw this year just can't be acceptable. I'd rather see our more talented athletes make mistakes while being aggressive and playing man than the usual 7-10 yard cushion and soft zone chasing from behind.
Your cushion example is a Martinez problem, not a player problem.

By my count we have Rickey Gibson, Jordan Matthews, Christian Conyer, Wesley Walker (injured), Jaylen McCollough, Andre Turrentine, Jourdan Thomas, John Slaughter, Gabe Jeudy-Lally, and Christian Charles (also injured?) that are not in the portal. We do have 6 DBs in the portal though, and of those names I listed probably 3 are gone after that game.

This should be a great time to let the young guys get as many reps as possible, given bowl games don't count against any redshirt eligibility.

A lot behind the scenes, I believe the loyalty to players that stayed when he became coach has probably reached its in. I believe positions are up for grabs, now you will have to earn your spot and some of these guys see these players in practice and no they’re coming. I really like Taron McDonald thought he was pretty good physical player, but there was one thing that I always kept saying you’re always a step if not two steps late to stop the play or make a play on the ball. I believe he seen the play just didn’t have the speed to stop it. I also believe he had his best year yet this past year. Best of luck, Guys

By my count we have Rickey Gibson, Jordan Matthews, Christian Conyer, Wesley Walker (injured), Jaylen McCollough, Andre Turrentine, Jourdan Thomas, John Slaughter, Gabe Jeudy-Lally, and Christian Charles (also injured?) that are not in the portal. We do have 6 DBs in the portal though, and of those names I listed probably 3 are gone after that game.

This should be a great time to let the young guys get as many reps as possible, given bowl games don't count against any redshirt eligibility.
At worst, different names to curse. At best, tighter coverage and legitimate closing speed.

imho if you're in the portal no way in hades you are dressing for the bowl game. in fact, your time in our entire facility is over!

may be martinez is on the way out. may be getting rid of pruitt's defensive recruits and starting with their own!

we all agree that in the secondary it is definitely way past time for some changes, both player and coaching wise!

Reactions: Deebowbear
McDonald was a STAR position at best, but honestly probably should have moved to OLB in a 4-3 scheme 2 years ago. He's not a a play the ball safety.

I wish him well.

Give Thomas and Charles/ Jon Slaughter run at safety now. Especially Slaughter. Turrentine as well

VN Store

Back