Tamarion McDonald is entering the transfer portal

Wow! So either Willie Martinez is very unpopular / about to get fired or we've told almost our entire secondary to take a hike. Who do we even have left at this point? Are we going to play a bunch of walk-ons in the bowl game?

Difficult to know what to think right now. Secondary obviously underachieved more than any other unit (O-line and WRs struggled too, but mostly due to injuries / lack of depth, more than outright underperformance), but weird to see this many DBs leave at the same time.
They got tired of reading how bad they were on Volnation. Blue/Font

McDonald was a STAR position at best, but honestly probably should have moved to OLB in a 4-3 scheme 2 years ago. He's not a a play the ball safety.

I wish him well.

Give Thomas and Charles/ Jon Slaughter run at safety now. Especially Slaughter. Turrentine as well
Yeah this seems like an opportunity to upgrade the athleticism in our secondary. This years model isn’t going to get it done.

Boo Carter is going to push some folks for a starting job and (clutch your pearls everyone) Jaren Sensabaugh might too.

That's too bad. He's been a very good player for the Vols. If Rucker is right... and I suspect he is... then there will be a lot of shuffling this off season.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
I mean people can hate it. It is a business now. Kid wants to hit the portal to get paid he can and should if he thinks he can get paid. There’s no reason Tennessee can’t replace these players with other players via the portal. Basically if you enter the portal better be sure you don’t want your spot back or that you’re a big enough value to the team for them to pay what you want

McDonald was a STAR position at best, but honestly probably should have moved to OLB in a 4-3 scheme 2 years ago. He's not a a play the ball safety.

I wish him well.

Give Thomas and Charles/ Jon Slaughter run at safety now. Especially Slaughter. Turrentine as well
well then you'd have 2 because mccullough isnt a cover guy either.

It sounds like they could be changing defensive coaches and/or scheme? This is almost the entire starting defensive backfield at this point isn't it?

Wow, I understand kids wanting to get paid but none of these guys are stars and only stars are getting money, right? I don't see walking away from a 2 year starting position to compete somewhere else. I have a feeling some rules will be put into place within the portal with 1-2 years where it isn't the wild, wild west. How can we field a defensive backfield for the bowl game? What happens if you lose all your QBs, do you run wildcat the whole game? I won't be surprised if we start seeing teams back out of bowl games over this.

Last edited:
Wow, I understand kids wanting to get paid but none of these guys are stars and only stars are getting money, right? I don't see walking away from a 2 year starting position to compete somewhere else. I have a feeling some rules will be put into place with the portal with 1-2 years where it isn't the wild, wild west. How can we field a defensive backfield for the bowl game? What happens if you lose all your QBs, do you run wildcat the whole game? I won't be surprised if we start seeing teams back out of bowl games over this.
I don’t see how rules can be put into place on NIL unless Congress were to carve out an antitrust exemption for the NCAA. Any attempt without it would result in an immediate lawsuit with a high chance of success. And the NCAA knows that

Wow! So either Willie Martinez is very unpopular / about to get fired or we've told almost our entire secondary to take a hike. Who do we even have left at this point? Are we going to play a bunch of walk-ons in the bowl game?

Difficult to know what to think right now. Secondary obviously underachieved more than any other unit (O-line and WRs struggled too, but mostly due to injuries / lack of depth, more than outright underperformance), but weird to see this many DBs leave at the same time.

Good luck to McDonald at his next destination.

VN Store

Back