Syracuse vs. Cal (merged)

Dude you make the most uninformed post sometimes. Bruce went to auburn way before we even knew cuonzo was gone. I mean before the tourney Bruce was going to be a tiger

I quoted you but this is a reply to the other person too. I never said he was available. But mid season when a petition was made, they never even thought about rehiring him. Everyone said there's no way we could bring him back.

I hope everyone that started that petition and ran Cuonzo out of town is happy with themselves. Cal is off to a great start after beating Syracuse and going onto the 2K finals to play Texas. If anyone knows anything about basketball they know Syracuse does not lose often and that is an impressive win. I was not happy with our fanbase when I found out about the petition and now it is coming back to bite us in the butt. If they make a sweet 16 run and we are left out what will everyone be saying then? We should have kept the guy that got us back there because even though he may not have recruited as well as many wanted he did have us in contention for the tournament every year which is a heck of a lot more than Peterson did before Pearl. I'm not saying that Tynall can't get it done because I think he can. He is a proven winner and has a track record of raising programs from the ground up. So I want everyone to know I'm not bashing him but we should have been happy with finally pushing through and getting back to the tournament instead of trying to force a coach out for someone we knew we weren't going to get back. With all this being said I'm sorry for my rant but I feel something needs to be said to those "fans". So thank you "fans" for setting us back another 3 yrs. Lastly I hope we can have a magical season and make a run to the tournament. Go Vols! :rock:

Get over yourself.
P.S. who is Tynall?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I hope everyone that started that petition and ran Cuonzo out of town is happy with themselves. Cal is off to a great start after beating Syracuse and going onto the 2K finals to play Texas. If anyone knows anything about basketball they know Syracuse does not lose often and that is an impressive win. I was not happy with our fanbase when I found out about the petition and now it is coming back to bite us in the butt. If they make a sweet 16 run and we are left out what will everyone be saying then? We should have kept the guy that got us back there because even though he may not have recruited as well as many wanted he did have us in contention for the tournament every year which is a heck of a lot more than Peterson did before Pearl. I'm not saying that Tynall can't get it done because I think he can. He is a proven winner and has a track record of raising programs from the ground up. So I want everyone to know I'm not bashing him but we should have been happy with finally pushing through and getting back to the tournament instead of trying to force a coach out for someone we knew we weren't going to get back. With all this being said I'm sorry for my rant but I feel something needs to be said to those "fans". So thank you "fans" for setting us back another 3 yrs. Lastly I hope we can have a magical season and make a run to the tournament. Go Vols! :rock:

winning at Cal vs UT - Cal's talent is ten fold what UT has here. It's not taking some miracle to win there right now.

wtf does Peterson have anything to do with it.

if anyone knows anything about basketball, they know how wrong your are.

Reactions: 2 people
pretty sure cuonzo ran himself out of town.

i mean, lets just ignore the fact that cuonzo said tonight that he left because of Hart and his lack of support, not the fans.

but please, keep spewing this garbage.

Reactions: 4 people
You got your wish and seems he is doing good things at Cal so far. Hope this Donny Tyndall experiment works out. Pathetic our fanbase runs a coach out of town.

We do understand...you loved him but he didn't love you back. You can be mad at whoever does actually want to coach here, but it won't change Zo's lack of desire. I don't hate him, but he wasted my time when I gave him the support I afford every coach. Love or hate him, Bruce Pearl loved this place so much they had to fire him to make him leave.

OP, CDT and Martin would have the same w-l record at this point of the season and Syracuse is overrated.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion so no reason to flame you OP but if you think the petition ran Martin out of town than you need to re look. The fans never warmed up to Martin and I don't think Martin warmed up to Tennessee so it was mutual IMO. At the end of the day, he still left on his own and what a smart move that was. His lack or interest in recruiting was the writing on the wall. Last years team was a sweet 16 team all along. They shouldn't have had to sweat it out on Selection Sunday and should have never been in a play in game. Why reward a coach that underachieves during the season and meets expectations, not exceeding them, in post season play?

As for this year, Syracuse is only an impressive win because of the name across their chest. And Cal is not that bad of a team. Time will tell and I don't think Martin is a coach that elevates your program to the next level but good luck to him.

Reactions: 4 people

Perhaps you should consider moving to California. Sounds like you'd be happier there.

pretty sure cuonzo ran himself out of town.

i mean, lets just ignore the fact that cuonzo said tonight that he left because of Hart and his lack of support, not the fans.

but please, keep spewing this garbage.

Dave Hart is awful. Regardless of whether you wanted Cuonzo back or not, Hart handled that horribly, as we've come to expect.

What I hate the most is the whole "you'll be sorry you ran him out of town, you crappy fans you!" charade from fans of other teams (and some UT fans too). Everyone was happy once we made the sweet 16, were we not? And our complaints were valid before then, were they not? The team should have been better more consistently throughout the year.

I maintain that I'm not really going to miss him. Cal might do well, and it's looking like it'll be a rough few years for us, but I stick by these thoughts.

Last edited:

You Cuonzone people just won't stop will you? Same thing with the Pearlanistas...Look the bottom line is he left, yes there was a petition, but in the end he left on his own.This job was too high pressure for him and his family and he was not a good fit here. You know it, I know it, and the american people know it. UT fans like a certain sytle of basketball and the Kevin O'Neal/Cuonzo Martin style does not fit this fan base. Hopefully, the guy we have know will overcome this NCAA stuff and we'll move on forward. If he doesn't, I'm sure those with an agenda will say we got what we deserve. In my opinion, we deserve better as a fan base and hopefully that day is coming soon. Go Vols!

You see the talent cuonzo left us with...

Also this. How do we think Cuonzo would be doing with this year's UT roster? Remember, almost half (or is it more than half?) the guys we play are DT's guys... Pretty sure JRich is the only plus player Zo left behind (with Moore/Hubbs looking like maybes for now).

Point is, this roster is depleted (or should I say young), and with Zo's known recruiting struggles, the roster might be worse than it is now had we kept him. I feel like DT will rebuild quicker than CM would've... But that's a meaningless prediction. Haha

Last edited:
These posts are a reason to stop coming to Volnation, OP just doesn't get it. When will this narrative stop? Cuonzo was a bad fit from go and we all knew it. I was pulling for him, and BTW, he was offered an extension and took the first bus out of here when he got the chance. The fans didn't fire him, we showed up, watched a lot of slop ball games in TBA and he ended up bolting. How many games, OP, did you attend? Well, his style of ball was a not a good fit for UT and neither was Kevin O'Neal which was a similar type. I would submit that last years team completely under achieved, backed into the NCAA tourney, played well and could have made to Elite 8. If it wasn't for the petition, I don't think this team would have made the tourney, they were lifeless before the public outcry. To a player, each one had mentioned it as a motivator for both them and the coach. I'm moving on from this but just tired of this narrative. Go Vols!

Season just started. We'll see how it pans out down the stretch.

However, it's obviously gotten off to a better start for our former coach

Martin hated being at Tennessee from just about the very beginning. He was already job hunting in year 2. Glad for Coach Martin I hope he's very happy in Berkley, but dont come on here spewing that crap when the feeling was mutual between most of the fanbase and Coach Martin.

Martin inherited a better roster at Cal than he left at UT. If Martin brings the same blah attitude to Cal, expect similar results.

VN Store

Back