Swine Flu Outbreak

This is getting worse by the hour it seems.

Not sure if this one has been posted:

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Fears of a global swine flu pandemic grew with new infections in the United States and Canada on Sunday, and millions of Mexicans hid indoors to avoid a virus that has already killed up to 81 people.

While the only deaths have been in Mexico, the flu is spreading with 20 cases in the United States and six in Canada, and possible cases as far afield as Europe, Israel and New Zealand.

Offering a glimmer of hope in Mexico, President Felipe Calderon said most of the roughly 1,300 people in the country suspected of having the flu have been given a clean bill of health.

World flu epidemic fear rises | Reuters

You will be happy to note that the World Bank has made an emergency loan in the amount of $200 million to the Mexican government to combat the situation.

No doubt something is rotten in Denmark.

Seriously?

Serial rhetorical??

No one takes lg seriously. :no:

I am hearing more and more that this particular strain or strains appears to some to have been genetically engineered, I'm not sure I believe it, just wanted to hear your thoughts.

People like to have someone to blame for things. It's possible it's genetically engineered, but I don't see why anyone would choose Mexico as a place to deploy it. The truth is the genetic manipulation of flue viruses is pretty easy. So easy that this could have quite possibly occurred naturally.

So far it has been far more deadly in Mexico than anywhere else. They are not sure why, as some of the populations suffering are relatively affluent and live at or near the typical American standard of life.

EDIT:

Things I have heard were genetically engineered/manipulated: AIDS, meningitis, Lymes Disease (but that one may be true), the common cold, hanta virus, and tuberculosis. At a certain point, it becomes clear that people haven't changed much in the last 700 years since the Black plague, and are still looking for the witches in their midst.

Last edited:
As they have said before, never let a crisis go to waste.

Just listened to Obama on the radio, and he is giving a big spiel on how we don't properly fund science. Looks like it is time for a science bailout.

I love science. That's what I hope to do for a living. But why is it up to the government to fund EVERYTHING? This economy is going to be strangled until its dead if this crap continues, and then there won't be any funding whatsoever.

Seriously?

No, just poking the bear.

I am hearing more and more that this particular strain or strains appears to some to have been genetically engineered, I'm not sure I believe it, just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Who is saying that? You say you keep "hearing" it. What does that mean?

As they have said before, never let a crisis go to waste.

Just listened to Obama on the radio, and he is giving a big spiel on how we don't properly fund science. Looks like it is time for a science bailout.

LOL @ you, allvol. Driving in, I was listening to the conservative radio hosts and, to a one, they are using this to talk about border security with Mexico. Talk about not letting a crisis go to waste.

And if its science getting better funding versus the lunatic fringe getting their gingoistic jollies off while people actually die, well, I guess you can count me a liberal.

No, just poking the bear.

Who is saying that? You say you keep "hearing" it. What does that mean?

LOL @ you, allvol. Driving in, I was listening to the conservative radio hosts and, to a one, they are using this to talk about border security with Mexico. Talk about not letting a crisis go to waste.

And if its science getting better funding versus the lunatic fringe getting their gingoistic jollies off while people actually die, well, I guess you can count me a liberal.

Mostly blogs, I have seen it mentioned in a couple of news articles but they were referencing the same type of source it seems. I don't know enough about infections and diseases to comment on the validity or the speculation, which is why I posed the question in hopes that those with more knowledge might be able to shed some light.

1) What exactly do talk radio hosts have the power to do? Can you answer that one?
2) I already count you a liberal. Your nonsensical scenario is not necessary for me to do so.
3) When aren't you listening to conservative talk radio?

This is getting worse by the hour it seems.

Not sure if this one has been posted:

MEXICO CITY (Reuters) - Fears of a global swine flu pandemic grew with new infections in the United States and Canada on Sunday, and millions of Mexicans hid indoors to avoid a virus that has already killed up to 81 people.

While the only deaths have been in Mexico, the flu is spreading with 20 cases in the United States and six in Canada, and possible cases as far afield as Europe, Israel and New Zealand.

Offering a glimmer of hope in Mexico, President Felipe Calderon said most of the roughly 1,300 people in the country suspected of having the flu have been given a clean bill of health.

World flu epidemic fear rises | Reuters

Just curious, but does Mexico have socialized medicine? Seriously, I would like to know.

Mostly blogs, I have seen it mentioned in a couple of news articles but they were referencing the same type of source it seems. I don't know enough about infections and diseases to comment on the validity or the speculation, which is why I posed the question in hopes that those with more knowledge might be able to shed some light.

Wel, when someone who knows what they are talking about suggests it, let me know. Until then, seems to me that you are now going to be someone else's "source" for "hearing" that it might have been man-made.

Ugh.

1) What exactly do talk radio hosts have the power to do? Can you answer that one?
2) I already count you a liberal. Your nonsensical scenario is not necessary for me to do so.
3) When aren't you listening to conservative talk radio?

1) They have the power to frighten people into making really horrible policy choices. In fact, they excel at it.

2) I am more moderate than you think, relative to the rest of the citizenry. Its just when I have to come on here and deal with the gullible and naive that I seem to be so far left.

3) When Steely Dan is on.

1) They have the power to frighten people into making really horrible policy choices. In fact, they excel at it.

yet the current admin is able to do it all on their own. Maybe the fairness doctrine is just a way to lay the blame off

And how would the federal government be any different except for the fact that they can actually spend money and create policy off this fear?

I don't see you on here ever worried about that so much. At least not since mid/late January.

Wel, when someone who knows what they are talking about suggests it, let me know. Until then, seems to me that you are now going to be someone else's "source" for "hearing" that it might have been man-made.

Ugh.

2) I am more moderate than you think, relative to the rest of the citizenry. Its just when I have to come on here and deal with the gullible and naive that I seem to be so far left.

3) When Steely Dan is on.

Yeah, someone is going to use me as a source when i specifically state that I don't really believe it?

How could anybody take my question on a topic and turn me into a source? And you talk about others fear mongering?

yet the current admin is able to do it all on their own. Maybe the fairness doctrine is just a way to lay the blame off

I oppose the fairness doctrine.

And how would the federal government be any different except for the fact that they can actually spend money and create policy off this fear?

I don't see you on here ever worried about that so much. At least not since mid/late January.

Oh, I agree that the government does that all the time, see e.g. post-9/11 Iraq.

Yeah, someone is going to use me as a source when i specifically state that I don't really believe it?

How could anybody take my question on a topic and turn me into a source? And you talk about others fear mongering?

First, that is not what you said. You said you aren't sure you believe it, suggesting you give it at least some credibility.

Second, you invite people on here -- many of whom you know are all too willing to jump to the irrational conclusion that this was terrorism -- to comment on what they think. As if you don't know what some on here are going to say in response.

If you're stated purpose in posting your thought was to gather responsible, well-informed opinion on the subject, I say a) you are nuts if you think you are going to get it on the Volnation politics board; and b) that's not really what you wanted to find out anyway.

I oppose the fairness doctrine.

Oh, I agree that the government does that all the time, see e.g. post-9/11 Iraq.

First, that is not what you said. You said you aren't sure you believe it, suggesting you give it at least some credibility.

Second, you invite people on here -- many of whom you know are all too willing to jump to the irrational conclusion that this was terrorism -- to comment on what they think. As if you don't know what some on here are going to say in response.

If you're stated purpose in posting your thought was to gather responsible, well-informed opinion on the subject, I say a) you are nuts if you think you are going to get it on the Volnation politics board; and b) that's not really what you wanted to find out anyway.

When I say "not really sure I believe it" there is a good indication that I am unsure about the validity, further I asked for other opinions, of which there are a few people I would trust to give quality information. You and I both know who the people are that would use this to push their agenda, I do not lend much credence to anything they have to say.

Actually there are a couple of posters who frequent here that I would trust on this topic. Thank you for spelling out to me what my intent was, but once again you jumped to the wrong conclusion. My intent was to spark some debate, nothing more nothing less.

What exactly did I want to find out (in your estimation)?

[/b]

When I say "not really sure I believe it" there is a good indication that I am unsure about the validity, further I asked for other opinions, of which there are a few people I would trust to give quality information. You and I both know who the people are that would use this to push their agenda, I do not lend much credence to anything they have to say.

Actually there are a couple of posters who frequent here that I would trust on this topic. Thank you for spelling out to me what my intent was, but once again you jumped to the wrong conclusion. My intent was to spark some debate, nothing more nothing less.

What exactly did I want to find out (in your estimation)?

Oh, please. Spark debate? Who is it on here, exactly, that you think has some sort of high level security clearance with the federal government that is going to tell you whether this was man-made? What person on here has a background in bio-terror or genetics.

Just admit you were trolling for conspiracy theorists to join up and we can move on.

I, for one, have absolutely no clue if the swine flu virus is man made. Seems like sort of an odd place to start it and/or use it. And there doesn;t seem much point to it, but what do I know?

Still, its not that big of a leap from insinuating that it was man made or terrorism to advocating a giant air-proof wall between the U.S. and Mexico.

Not that having such a wall is necessarily a bad idea. There are plenty of reasons for that and its a legitimate debate. Just not on the back of swine flu.

Who in fact has jumped to say it was a conspiracy (other than him throwing out the wall thing that only he has mentioned)? I thought IP orange gave a pretty good response to the question. I hope law is just testing out his ability to argue when he knows has a poor/hard argument to attempt to make.

Oh, please. Spark debate? Who is it on here, exactly, that you think has some sort of high level security clearance with the federal government that is going to tell you whether this was man-made? What person on here has a background in bio-terror or genetics.
Nobody that I am aware of, but is a degree in genetics or a background in bio terror needed to comment intelligently? As I said I don't know or understand much so those with more knowledge would offer me some insight.
Just admit you were trolling for conspiracy theorists to join up and we can move on.
I have no doubt the conspiracy theorists would comment but they were not who my post was directed at.
I, for one, have absolutely no clue if the swine flu virus is man made. Seems like sort of an odd place to start it and/or use it. And there doesn;t seem much point to it, but what do I know?
This is in line with how I was thinking.
Still, its not that big of a leap from insinuating that it was man made or terrorism to advocating a giant air-proof wall between the U.S. and Mexico.
This is just silly, no other way to describe it.
Not that having such a wall is necessarily a bad idea. There are plenty of reasons for that and its a legitimate debate. Just not on the back of swine flu.
And here you go jumping to conclusions as to my intent.

See bold and underlined.

Last edited:

so without expertise like you describe we should not be able to discuss much on this board. I hope you hold yourself to the same high standard and only enter threads that discuss the law.

Personally I think it was a planned attack by Al Queda. You know how they hate pork so they engineered a virus that would kill both those dirty infidels and the swine they hate at the same time. Since they don't keep pigs they would not be subject to the effects. Perfectly reasonable IMO but I'm no expert...

Who in fact has jumped to say it was a conspiracy (other than him throwing out the wall thing that only he has mentioned)? I thought IP orange gave a pretty good response to the question. I hope law is just testing out his ability to argue when he knows has a poor/hard argument to attempt to make.

I did too, he obviously has a better grasp of viruses than I do, it was exactly the kind of response I was hoping for because it put it into perspective for me.

And here you go jumping to conclusions as to my intent.

See bold and underlined.

so without expertise like you describe we should not be able to discuss much on this board. I hope you hold yourself to the same high standard and only enter threads that discuss the law.

Personally I think it was a planned attack by Al Queda. You know how they hate pork so they engineered a virus that would kill both those dirty infidels and the swine they hate at the same time. Since they don't keep pigs they would not be subject to the effects. Perfectly reasonable IMO but I'm no expert...

I am sorry if I jumped on you kb. I just know how this thing is going to get twisted and become a vehicle for things it should NOT be a vehicle for. Its coming, guaranteed.

Last edited:
I am sorry if I jumped on you kb. I just know how this thing is going to get twisted and become a vehicle for things it should be a vehicle for. Its coming, guaranteed.

It already has, those that would say it is man made are exactly the type that would try to twist it.

Not a problem, you just misinterpreted my intent.

VN Store

Back