Swine Flu Outbreak

I couldn't resist posting this.

3004_164824160276_163907835276_6682363_1008509_n.jpg

I know I am probably over reacting here but my daughter has been running a fever since last night and has not eaten anything since lunch yesterday. I told my wife she needed to go to the doctor. You never know, better safe than sorry!

Hope she feels a lot better today and that its just a cold.

Hope she feels a lot better today and that its just a cold.

We found out last week she was allergic to certain bug bites, she was bitten a few times by something while swimming in the kiddie pools at my fathers house last weekend. Well apparently she has a secondary infection from those bites now. The infection isn't as bad as staff or MRSA but it spreads quickly, she is on a more powerful antibiotic and we have some prescribed ointment for the bite wounds. She still isn't eating much but should come around in a few days. She had lost a pound and a half (a lot for a child that weighs 28#'s) in just two days, the last time she was at the doctors office.

Thank you all for asking about her and your concern.

We found out last week she was allergic to certain bug bites, she was bitten a few times by something while swimming in the kiddie pools at my fathers house last weekend. Well apparently she has a secondary infection from those bites now. The infection isn't as bad as staff or MRSA but it spreads quickly, she is on a more powerful antibiotic and we have some prescribed ointment for the bite wounds. She still isn't eating much but should come around in a few days. She had lost a pound and a half (a lot for a child that weighs 28#'s) in just two days, the last time she was at the doctors office.

Thank you all for asking about her and your concern.

I imagine they are having you keep her away from public places just because her immune system is down.

Will include her in prayers. Keep us posted.

I imagine they are having you keep her away from public places just because her immune system is down.

Will include her in prayers. Keep us posted.

Absolutely, my wife and i are taking half days from work so we can keep her home. My mother usually watches her but she is with my grandmother in the hospital today. Thank you.

Absolutely, my wife and i are taking half days from work so we can keep her home. My mother usually watches her but she is with my grandmother in the hospital today. Thank you.

Wow, you got a lot on your plate.

I understand the importance of commerce, but why not close the border? Seems like every case is related to someone with direct contact to Mexico.

Gator, I know you are going to chime in on this, but if this had happened on W's watch the press would be squarley blaming him for allowing the swine flu into the US. I would bet the house on it.

BTW, sorry to hear about your recent trials and tribulations KB. Glad to hear that you have a handle on the situation.

I understand the importance of commerce, but why not close the border? Seems like every case is related to someone with direct contact to Mexico.

Gator, I know you are going to chime in on this, but if this had happened on W's watch the press would be squarley blaming him for allowing the swine flu into the US. I would bet the house on it.

BTW, sorry to hear about your recent trials and tribulations KB. Glad to hear that you have a handle on the situation.

I think the reality is that its probably too late to do anything to try to stop it. If those kids from South Carolina really picked it up after visiting Disney World here in Orlando, then there would be no way to avoid massive spreading of the bug worldwide.

I heard on the news that this strain of flu doesn't have the same characteristics as the 1918 Spanish Flu. Something about this strain not having an acid in it that the Spanish Flu had, therefore, making it less of a killer virus.

I think the reality is that its probably too late to do anything to try to stop it. If those kids from South Carolina really picked it up after visiting Disney World here in Orlando, then there would be no way to avoid massive spreading of the bug worldwide.

There should be some discussion about how and why we didn't pick up on this a little quicker and take a little more of a proactive approach...just to play devil's advocate. Again, if W was in charge this is what we would hear non stop.

There should be some discussion about how and why we didn't pick up on this a little quicker and take a little more of a proactive approach...just to play devil's advocate. Again, if W was in charge this is what we would hear non stop.

If blame starts getting thrown around you'll hear it anyway.

No doubt, the border should be under control for a myriad of reasons. The swine flu really isn't one of them. This bugger got here almost as soon as we knew it existed, by returning tourists. Closing it down now probably won't affect the spread of the swine flu.

I haven't thought about it but it does seem that a good number of these cases have come from those were either in Mexico at some point recently or have been in direct contact with someone who has.

Thank you Lex, given a few days my daughter should be back to her usual self.

as i said earlier 1 in 20,000 people in mexico city has it which is the epicenter of the outbreak. it's hardly anything worth freaking out about at this point.

as i said earlier 1 in 20,000 people in mexico city has it which is the epicenter of the outbreak. it's hardly anything worth freaking out about at this point.

Exactly. I know its better to be safe than sorry, but shutting down at work, closing schools and what not...just seems a little overboard at this point. If your sick, stay home. If your kid is sick, keep them home from school. Has there even been a confirmed death from it in the U.S. yet?

Exactly. I know its better to be safe than sorry, but shutting down at work, closing schools and what not...just seems a little overboard at this point. If your sick, stay home. If your kid is sick, keep them home from school. Has there even been a confirmed death from it in the U.S. yet?

One, an infant visiting from Mexico.

William B. Cassidy | Apr 30, 2009 4:21PM GMT

The Journal of Commerce Online - News Story

Efforts to contain swine flu threaten global supply chains, cross-border business

The Mexican government will shut down private business, including factories and transportation operations, for five days starting Friday as the country tries to halt the spread of the swine flu virus.

The action also will shut down nonessential government activity May 1-5 as the country struggles to contain a virus that has killed 170 people in the country and spread to other continents.

someone once said, "we'll have an african american president when pigs fly"......

100 days into the presidency.... swine flu

I thought this was dead, but the they are now comparing to the 1918 flu:

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The new H1N1 influenza virus bears a disturbing resemblance to the virus strain that caused the 1918 flu pandemic, with a greater ability to infect the lungs than common seasonal flu viruses, researchers reported on Monday.

Tests in several animals confirmed other studies that have shown the new swine flu strain can spread beyond the upper respiratory tract to go deep into the lungs -- making it more likely to cause pneumonia, the international team said.

In addition, they found that people who survived the 1918 pandemic seem to have extra immune protection against the virus, again confirming the work of other researchers.

New flu resembles feared 1918 virus: study | Health | Reuters

No, just poking the bear.

Who is saying that? You say you keep "hearing" it. What does that mean?

LOL @ you, allvol. Driving in, I was listening to the conservative radio hosts and, to a one, they are using this to talk about border security with Mexico. Talk about not letting a crisis go to waste.

And if its science getting better funding versus the lunatic fringe getting their gingoistic jollies off while people actually die, well, I guess you can count me a liberal.

That is so rich coming from you.

VN Store

Back