Survivor - Edge Of Extinction

I enjoyed this season. The first 2-3 episodes were great from a train wreck perspective. Was also fun seeing them bring the auction back.

I agree that there are way too many idols and advantages at this point. Also, I think the game was better in the 39 day format that the current one. Not enough time to forge real relationships, and very rarely does it seem like there’s any real animosity at being blindsided or at the final Tribal Council. I liked it better when some of the jury members would show up with an axe to grind. I also miss when they’d fly family members in late in the game and have them participate in a reward challenge. The letters from home are boring by comparison.

Also, and I know this is a function of the show running for so many years, but it seems like the only people that play anymore are the “super fans” that seem to know every detail about every season. The way Jake remembered the combination to that lock by equating the number with a Survivor player and the season they won was wild to me. I didn’t even really remember some of those players, much less the number of the season they won.

I agree, fly the family members out.

I think the unsalty jury thing is just the result of contestants realizing fans usually won't like you as much if you are salty. I think Drew this season could have been an all-time favorite but he was the saltiest guy this season, even before he got the boot

I thought it was a really good season and Survivor has put together one of their best runs the last 2 years. I think that was the 4th great season in a row after I felt like the show was dropping off a bit.

I thought this season was one of the worst. The female lawyer from TN was about the only likeable player and she screwed herself by being dumb.

I thought this season was one of the worst. The female lawyer from TN was about the only likeable player and she screwed herself by being dumb.

I thought just about everybody was likable, TBH. Bruce drove me crazy, but even he was good TV and a good dude in his heart.

Weird that the only person you liked was the oldest contestant and from your exact cultural background 🤔 :D

I thought just about everybody was likable, TBH. Bruce drove me crazy, but even he was good TV and a good dude in his heart.

Weird that the only person you liked was the oldest contestant and from your exact cultural background 🤔

The black lady lawyer was starting to grow on me (then she made an idiot play) and I liked the black guy from Canada.

Sorry Huff, they need some bad guys (not being gender specific). Enough of the kumbaya BS the game needs some cutthroats.

Reactions: n_huffhines
The black lady lawyer was starting to grow on me (then she made an idiot play) and I liked the black guy from Canada.

Sorry Huff, they need some bad guys (not being gender specific). Enough of the kumbaya BS the game needs some cutthroats.

I was just giving you crap.

I think Dee was a lot more cut throat than she let on. She surrounded it in smiles and hugs, but if she wanted a vote to go a certain way, she didn't yield. I wouldn't be surprised if Dee was playing Austin some too. Maybe they do have some personal interests, but she played the game to win. Austin played too soft. Dummy should have gotten his idol back from Julie right after that vote. Shouldn't have told Dee either. He gave her the ammo to win at the final jury. If he hadn't told her about Julie being voted out, I think he could have ended up winning.

Maybe it was the way the show was edited, but Katurah didn't do much game wise. I liked her as well and you can never tell with a jury, but I didn't think she had that strong of a game compared to Dee/Austin.

I wonder if future shows will have another alliance sticking together this well. Seems like the past few seasons alliances don't last long while this one got 4 people to the final 6, and 2 in the final 3.

I'd rather see them go back to the two tribe starting format. You get the wrong people together like Lulu this year and they get stomped. IIRC there were previous seasons where 1 of 3 tribes were easily the worst.

Maybe it's because it rains a lot in Fiji?, but in past seasons contestants didn't rely on flint and steel for fire. They practiced making it on their own before and came somewhat prepared. You get a team like Lulu that doesn't have fire the first week and they're complaining, and I'm thinking why didn't you practice before you came on the show?

Last edited:
I think Dee was a lot more cut throat than she let on. She surrounded it in smiles and hugs, but if she wanted a vote to go a certain way, she didn't yield. I wouldn't be surprised if Dee was playing Austin some too. Maybe they do have some personal interests, but she played the game to win. Austin played too soft. Dummy should have gotten his idol back from Julie right after that vote. Shouldn't have told Dee either. He gave her the ammo to win at the final jury. If he hadn't told her about Julie being voted out, I think he could have ended up winning.

Maybe it was the way the show was edited, but Katurah didn't do much game wise. I liked her as well and you can never tell with a jury, but I didn't think she had that strong of a game compared to Dee/Austin.

I wonder if future shows will have another alliance sticking together this well. Seems like the past few seasons alliances don't last long while this one got 4 people to the final 6, and 2 in the final 3.

I'd rather see them go back to the two tribe starting format. You get the wrong people together like Lulu this year and they get stomped. IIRC there were previous seasons where 1 of 3 tribes were easily the worst.

Maybe it's because it rains a lot in Fiji?, but in past seasons contestants didn't rely on flint and steel for fire. They practiced making it on their own before and came somewhat prepared. You get a team like Lulu that doesn't have fire the first week and they're complaining, and I'm thinking why didn't you practice before you came on the show?

I agree Dee was cutthroat, she just managed people really well. I mean, she betrayed Austin 2x and they're gonna get married, LOL.

I think if Austin had found out before the final chairs at finale night, the editors could've done a lot more with it. Especially if he's heartbroken about it. In that world, they could have easily given her a villain edit. That's not the way things shook out, but the pieces were there to consider her a villain.

I agree Dee was cutthroat, she just managed people really well. I mean, she betrayed Austin 2x and they're gonna get married, LOL.

I think if Austin had found out before the final chairs at finale night, the editors could've done a lot more with it. Especially if he's heartbroken about it. In that world, they could have easily given her a villain edit. That's not the way things shook out, but the pieces were there to consider her a villain.
Yea, I saw on a reddit that she admitted on a podcast that she intentionally didn't tell Austin. Not just to keep him from knowing and potentially breaking their trust while the game was still going, but also that would be a big credit to her if it was revealed in the final tribal and that was when he first found out. And she waited till the end of the final jury so it would be fresh in their minds instead of that coming out at the beginning, then being lost or forgotten. Supposedly the final jury is actually a several hour process and she wanted that to come out at the very end.

Certainly made Austin look like a schlub. Dee orchestrated the idol he gave to Julie was turned around and used to blow up their Julie vote and get Emily voted out instead, who I think Dee wanted from the start of that episode. And it was Austin's own fault that happened.

This season started out completely awful and could barely manage to tune in each week. Then it picked up and became one of my favorite seasons. Watching how Dee was able to control different things without it being too noticeable was pretty good.

I do agree with @hog88 need some more cutthroat types. Need another Johnny Fairplay type on there.

Reactions: hog88
New season premiered last night.

Impressive body of work for the first player eliminated. I can’t ever recall seeing someone fail so completely, so consistently and so often in such a short time on the island.

I haven't watched survivor in a decade+ so take this with a grain of salt but my gf loves australian survivor and says it's 10x better than the American series

I haven't watched survivor in a decade+ so take this with a grain of salt but my gf loves australian survivor and says it's 10x better than the American series

My Aussie friends say the same thing. Consensus is ours is rigged and too soft.

My Aussie friends say the same thing. Consensus is ours is rigged and too soft.

Yea she said they actually have physical challenges and either they cast way more interesting contestants or the show is edited so much better than ours that it just seems like they are

That being said I'd recommend checking out Alone if you're more interested in real survival and not reality show drama. I must have outgrown the latter

That being said I'd recommend checking out Alone if you're more interested in real survival and not reality show drama. I must have outgrown the latter

The social part is much more interesting to me than the survival and competition parts. A lot of the time I half-watch the comps. The show is all about tribal council.

The social part is much more interesting to me than the survival and competition parts. A lot of the time I half-watch the comps. The show is all about tribal council.

That's fair. I just haven't been able to muster the excitement to watch those type of shows anymore

That's fair. I just haven't been able to muster the excitement to watch those type of shows anymore

I think it depends on the season. Sometimes the show doesn't have any teeth because everybody gets along but it's had a really good run the last couple years. It's usually not interpersonal drama. I'm talking game drama and cunning. Not sure about this season. It's been interesting because people are so stupid, but I'm ready to see people make good moves.

Holy crap Bahnu may be the worst single contestant to ever be on the show. No ideal how he can he's watched every season. No clue what he's doing

Reactions: ATCVolinmn
Holy crap Bahnu may be the worst single contestant to ever be on the show. No ideal how he can he's watched every season. No clue what he's doing
He really took it to another level on his last episode. Pointing at the sky while cursing god. Down on the ground begging Tiffany to help him look for an idol, which led to the funniest line of the episode where she gave an exasperated sigh and said, “Bahnu, get up. I’m not going to talk to you if you’re on your knees.”

For my money he still wasn’t worse than that girl last season who quit after two days because she was a chain smoker who made no effort to quit prior to going to the island and couldn’t handle the nicotine withdrawals.

Survivor has really gone downhill this season is awful, none of the players are in the least bit interesting. I would guess Q (think that's his name, former 'ol Miss player) is the only one I can pull for.

Survivor has really gone downhill this season is awful, none of the players are in the least bit interesting. I would guess Q (think that's his name, former 'ol Miss player) is the only one I can pull for.
Difficult to know that just yet because Bhanu ate up so much screen time the first few episodes. The other two tribes feel like they’ve barely featured at all since neither have even been to TC.

I think when you watch these type shows, it's hard to stay interested. I use to watch hells kitchen and after a while, it gets old. Especially if you binge watch them or watch multiple epides in a row.

VN Store

Back