Survivor - Edge Of Extinction

The guy with the shoulder separation seems promising. He's shown toughness, the ability to build trust, and cunning.

Idk his name, but he's kinda nerdy and out of shape but his looks are deceiving. The firefighter told him about the idol clue he found, and he immediately used that info to turn on him, but this storyline hadn't played out yet. I imagine it will come back this week or next.

Idk his name, but he's kinda nerdy and out of shape but his looks are deceiving. The firefighter told him about the idol clue he found, and he immediately used that info to turn on him, but this storyline hadn't played out yet. I imagine it will come back this week or next.

Well, that homey exploded his game. That was entertaining.

Jonathan totally beasting that comp made me a fan. He was literally carrying his team to complete an obstacle no other team could complete.

Didn't like the episode yesterday. It's not a race game. Jeremy and Wendell were great players. And all eliminations have a reason. It's not always consistent, but it's not race.

Didn't like the episode yesterday. It's not a race game. Jeremy and Wendell were great players. And all eliminations have a reason. It's not always consistent, but it's not race.
Agreed.

Maryanne is a dumbass to waste her idol. After the people are subconsciously racist against black people cryfest nobody was going to vote for her.

The shot in the dark needs to go. I know the producers like it because it introduces an extra level of drama but imo it corrupts the foundation of the show.

Although I was glad to see Tori go.

Last edited:
Agreed.

Maryanne is a dumbass to waste her idol. After the people are subconsciously racist against black people cryfest nobody was going to vote for her.

The shot in the dark needs to go. I know the producers like it because it introduces an extra level of drama but imo it corrupts the foundation of the show.

Although I was glad to see Tori go.
I get their arguments that their may be some subconscious bias against minorities within the game. In fact, there almost certainly are. However, subconsciously minorities may also be more prone to form alliances with one another and therefore if their alliance finds itself on the wrong end of the numbers, then they are likely going to get picked off in succession. That's not subconscious racism, that's just Survivor. They were basically arguing that when a minority player is voted off, then the remaining minority players in the game should receive immunity at the subsequent tribal council. Obviously that's not fair to anyone.

I get their arguments that their may be some subconscious bias against minorities within the game. In fact, there almost certainly are. However, subconsciously minorities may also be more prone to form alliances with one another and therefore if their alliance finds itself on the wrong end of the numbers, then they are likely going to get picked off in succession. That's not subconscious racism, that's just Survivor. They were basically arguing that when a minority player is voted off, then the remaining minority players in the game should receive immunity at the subsequent tribal council. Obviously that's not fair to anyone.

The hard part for me is last season it was all about minorities banding together and winning it, despite a white guy probably deserving it. Whatever. I'm not going to complain about any of that because like you say, implicit biases probably impacted the past 38 seasons, so crying because the white guy lost is pretty ridiculous to me...but this cast didn't see last season and so they're talking about this unfair Survivor world and we're all watching it knowing clearly that's not how it is anymore.

IDK if anybody watched, but this season (43) was pretty awesome. It was one of the most competent casts ever. When we got down to final 10 or so, I was looking at everybody like I'd be fine with them winning.

Reactions: volsarelife1
IDK if anybody watched, but this season (43) was pretty awesome. It was one of the most competent casts ever. When we got down to final 10 or so, I was looking at everybody like I'd be fine with them winning.

Probably one of my favorite seasons ever. Some great players who knew how to play, awesome blind sides, and they actually seemed to like each other as well. Well done season

It was a good season. I wonder if they’re not getting many applicants as the show has gotten older. I think they ran more “apply to compete on survivor” spots this year than all previous years.

The Yellow tribe on this new season may be one of the worst tribes the show has ever assembled. Makes me wonder if it was an intentional choice by casting.

Brandon can’t climb a simple ladder and has a panic attack within the literal first 15 minutes (game time, not airtime). Hannah quits the show after the first day because apparently she thought she could just handle playing Survivor and giving up nicotine cold-turkey at the same time.
Then there’s Emily, who came across in this episode as one of the most annoying cast members of all time. I saw someone on Reddit describe her as if they’d cast a real life Sheldon Cooper, which seems accurate.

Reactions: flint
The Yellow tribe on this new season may be one of the worst tribes the show has ever assembled. Makes me wonder if it was an intentional choice by casting.

Brandon can’t climb a simple ladder and has a panic attack within the literal first 15 minutes (game time, not airtime). Hannah quits the show after the first day because apparently she thought she could just handle playing Survivor and giving up nicotine cold-turkey at the same time.
Then there’s Emily, who came across in this episode as one of the most annoying cast members of all time. I saw someone on Reddit describe her as if they’d cast a real life Sheldon Cooper, which seems accurate.

The worst. The first words that came out of Emily's mouth indicated she would be a problem, but that was just for the home audience. Then the 2nd words and the 3rd words that came out of her mouth indicated as much, and she said them in front of the entire cast as a first impression. Then they have 2 quitters on the same team. I feel so bad for the other 3.

Pretty sad for Survivor to be your boyhood dream and you can't even climb a ladder or stop crying. Brandon must've cried 7x this premier.

I honestly got second hand embarrassment from this episode. Felt like most of the yellow tribe has never stepped foot in grass or dirt before. How do you cry have a breakdown within a few hours? How can an actual adult not climb a ladder. It was pitiful

The worst. The first words that came out of Emily's mouth indicated she would be a problem, but that was just for the home audience. Then the 2nd words and the 3rd words that came out of her mouth indicated as much, and she said them in front of the entire cast as a first impression. Then they have 2 quitters on the same team. I feel so bad for the other 3.

Pretty sad for Survivor to be your boyhood dream and you can't even climb a ladder or stop crying. Brandon must've cried 7x this premier.
Brandon and Hannah walking through the camp endlessly repeating "We can do hard things!" while team-lifting single pieces of bamboo was ridiculous and hilarious all at once. Oddly the only thing that apparently didn't make Brandon cry was the one thing that maybe should have, which was free falling the better part of ten feet trying to get up that ledge.

I just can't get my head around Hannah coming out there so completely unprepared for nicotine withdrawals. It was as if she never even considered it prior to the game starting. I can't remember any cast member having issues with it in the past, so either they've always cast non-smokers, or people have the good sense to kick the habit before the game starts.

Brandon and Hannah walking through the camp endlessly repeating "We can do hard things!" while team-lifting single pieces of bamboo was ridiculous and hilarious all at once. Oddly the only thing that apparently didn't make Brandon cry was the one thing that maybe should have, which was free falling the better part of ten feet trying to get up that ledge.

I just can't get my head around Hannah coming out there so completely unprepared for nicotine withdrawals. It was as if she never even considered it prior to the game starting. I can't remember any cast member having issues with it in the past, so either they've always cast non-smokers, or people have the good sense to kick the habit before the game starts.
Nah, I think she's just weak. Other smokers just dealt with it.

Nah, I think she's just weak. Other smokers just dealt with it.
I’m sure that’s it. If I were a smoker and had they chance to play a game for $1M, I know I’d be working pretty hard in the lead up to kick the habit.

One other thought…I hate that one of the tribes is called Reba. Every time Jeff yells it during the challenges, I think he’s actually yelling at an individual player, not an entire tribe.

And the fact Hannah is a therapist is very concerning. How do you council people when you may be the most mentally weak person on the planet

I honestly got second hand embarrassment from this episode. Felt like most of the yellow tribe has never stepped foot in grass or dirt before. How do you cry have a breakdown within a few hours? How can an actual adult not climb a ladder. It was pitiful
When it was happening I thought he was just out of shape, physically exhausted after swimming, and that was why he was struggling with the ladder. And then he passed out of the boat too I think he said.

i liked the 1.5 hour format. I’m sure it was due to the writers/actors strike and a way for them to fill time, but it felt like they added more of the inter tribe dynamics and vote strategy.

Still too many idols and advantages imo.

Last edited:
When it was happening I thought he was just out of shape, physically exhausted after swimming, and that was why he was struggling with the ladder. And then he passed out of the boat too I think he said.

i liked the 1.5 hour format. I’m sure it was due to the writers/actors strike and a way for them to fill time, but it felt like they added more of the inter tribe dynamics and vote strategy.

Still too many idols and advantages imo.
I enjoyed this season. The first 2-3 episodes were great from a train wreck perspective. Was also fun seeing them bring the auction back.

I agree that there are way too many idols and advantages at this point. Also, I think the game was better in the 39 day format that the current one. Not enough time to forge real relationships, and very rarely does it seem like there’s any real animosity at being blindsided or at the final Tribal Council. I liked it better when some of the jury members would show up with an axe to grind. I also miss when they’d fly family members in late in the game and have them participate in a reward challenge. The letters from home are boring by comparison.

Also, and I know this is a function of the show running for so many years, but it seems like the only people that play anymore are the “super fans” that seem to know every detail about every season. The way Jake remembered the combination to that lock by equating the number with a Survivor player and the season they won was wild to me. I didn’t even really remember some of those players, much less the number of the season they won.

I thought it was a really good season and Survivor has put together one of their best runs the last 2 years. I think that was the 4th great season in a row after I felt like the show was dropping off a bit.

VN Store

Back