Survivalists

Besides water, food and shelter, what is the next most essential item you would take on a long distance hunt/hike?

Cover the four big ones: food, water, shelter, security.

Food: Mix of easy to eat items and sustainment foods.

Water: Both carried and a means of purification.

Shelter: Includes clothing for foul and cold weather along with the ability and tools to create a makeshift shelter in case of emergency.

Security: Whether that be a weapon of some sort or even a means of communication. Also includes a means of navigation. Security is a great many things and kind of a catch all for things not listed above.

Everything you carry tends to fit into these four categories. Justify each one and redundancy is key. Two is one and one is none kind of mentality. Waterproofing some items is critical (lighter and matches, spare socks or spare batteries for example) and ensure each piece of kit is tested well in advance and works as advertised. It does you no good to take out your flashy Katadyn Mini only to find the filter leaks.

Water proof matches.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nqAQlw1_Ro[/youtube]

For fire, other than steel wool and dryer lint carried with you, always remember that pine sap is natures napalm. It doesn't start as easy, but it is hard to put out once lit.

Reactions: 1 person
Cover the four big ones: food, water, shelter, security.

Food: Mix of easy to eat items and sustainment foods.

Water: Both carried and a means of purification.

Shelter: Includes clothing for foul and cold weather along with the ability and tools to create a makeshift shelter in case of emergency.

Security: Whether that be a weapon of some sort or even a means of communication. Also includes a means of navigation. Security is a great many things and kind of a catch all for things not listed above.

Everything you carry tends to fit into these four categories. Justify each one and redundancy is key. Two is one and one is none kind of mentality. Waterproofing some items is critical (lighter and matches, spare socks or spare batteries for example) and ensure each piece of kit is tested well in advance and works as advertised. It does you no good to take out your flashy Katadyn Mini only to find the filter leaks.
Yes but can you do all that in under 30 lbs?

For fire, other than steel wool and dryer lint carried with you, always remember that pine sap is natures napalm. It doesn't start as easy, but it is hard to put out once lit.

Lighter knot otherwise known as swamp Cyprus saved my life at Florida camp.

Update- cut down on weight. 21" survival finger saw , 14' of 10lb test fishing line, 12' of 550 orange paracord, 2 fishing hooks and a link with lighter and additional cordage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 0

Hard to do honestly. Keeping it under 30 pounds for that length of time that is. But it also depends on how available water would be and the type of environment you are in. More water sources available, less water one needs to pack away. Dryer climate, more water. I know you know this already.

And the environmental conditions are a factor as well. Take where I'm at for example. During the summer, I can get by with a poncho shelter or even a sil-nylon tarp. No sleeping bag, lightweight rain jacket and silkweight thermal top. I have decent water available so no more than a gallon carried for the most part.

But ten days with 30 pounds? I won't say it's impossible, but the food alone will be at least half to 2/3s that weight. You've done this before I take it?

Hard to do honestly. Keeping it under 30 pounds for that length of time that is. But it also depends on how available water would be and the type of environment you are in. More water sources available, less water one needs to pack away. Dryer climate, more water. I know you know this already.

And the environmental conditions are a factor as well. Take where I'm at for example. During the summer, I can get by with a poncho shelter or even a sil-nylon tarp. No sleeping bag, lightweight rain jacket and silkweight thermal top. I have decent water available so no more than a gallon carried for the most part.

But ten days with 30 pounds? I won't say it's impossible, but the food alone will be at least half to 2/3s that weight. You've done this before I take it?

My load is at 35lbs but that is because my ruck is heavy and I carry some army gear that isn't ultralite. I keep my food to 1.5lbs per day and count on finding water along the way. I generally carry 3 liters while walking. I sleep in a hammock with my woobie.

My load is at 35lbs but that is because my ruck is heavy and I carry some army gear that isn't ultralite. I keep my food to 1.5lbs per day and count on finding water along the way. I generally carry 3 liters while walking. I sleep in a hammock with my woobie.

Have you tested it at 10 days?

Yes. I Don't take much with me. My luxury item is the third pair of socks. Before i got the hammock i didn't carry a tent. People say I'm not fun to hike with.

A lot of folks don't test their stuff. That certainly sets you apart from the crowd.

VN Store

Back