Super Hot Peppers

It's my understanding that once they mature a little and the roots get established, they can handle cooler temps, just not below mid 50's.

Mine experienced 47 at night and mid 70's during the day for several days when they were young. The cold and the extreme change in temp, evidently stressed them to the max.

Something else I just remembered. I read that they don't need much nitrogen and not to use a fertilizer with nitrogen but once when you first plant them and once before wintering them. They say it will make them healthy and lush, but would effect the production of fruit. Another thing I could have done wrong.

It's my understanding that once they mature a little and the roots get established, they can handle cooler temps, just not below mid 50's.

Mine experienced 47 at night and mid 70's during the day for several days when they were young. The cold and the extreme change in temp, evidently stressed them to the max.

Something else I just remembered. I read that they don't need much nitrogen and not to use a fertilizer with nitrogen but once when you first plant them and once before wintering them. They say it will make them healthy and lush, but would effect the production of fruit. Another thing I could have done wrong.

Good to know. I'll stop using the nitrogen based fertilizer going forward. Did it recommend anything else? The nutrients in the pots become scarce over the course of the summer.

Dandridge

Yes, don't remember how many they produced just that it didn't seem worth the trouble compared to market price

'They gone'

Tennessee I assume? Plan on trying to grow any again?

I'm going to start several different ones in December. I came across a new strain the other day that will be available by then, I hope. It's a Caramel Scorpion. Looks really cool.

I had the same issue with temps dropping below 50 for a few days. It didn't effect my Hhabs last year but they are a bit more tolerant.

Good to know. I'll stop using the nitrogen based fertilizer going forward. Did it recommend anything else? The nutrients in the pots become scarce over the course of the summer.

Epsom salt. It's recommended to mix 1 tbsp to a gallon of water. Spray directly on the leaves and give the base a good drink twice during season. I did this about 3 weeks ago and going to do it again in about 2 weeks. Evidently they need and like the magnesium.

I had the same issue with temps dropping below 50 for a few days. It didn't effect my Hhabs last year but they are a bit more tolerant.

Yea, that's the one thing everyone I've read and watched all agree on and I understand. These are different than other peppers.

The one that's not doing well is a mystery. It was right next to the other one, touching. Both have been treated the same, exactly. One morning about a week ago, over half the leaves had fallen off and the ones left were wilted and fell off before the day ended. WTF.

Yea, that's the one thing everyone I've read and watched all agree on and I understand. These are different than other peppers.

The one that's not doing well is a mystery. It was right next to the other one, touching. Both have been treated the same, exactly. One morning about a week ago, over half the leaves had fallen off and the ones left were wilted and fell off before the day ended. WTF.

That sucks. I lost a few to slugs and snails then some peppers due to some insects. Some sluggo and lady bugs did the trick.

Something else cali, on the watering. Like you I think I was overwatering mine because the soil just looked so dry now that it's getting hotter. I put a thin layer of coffee grounds with the filters on top of the grounds around the base then a thick layer of compost (leaves and dried pine needles.) That has definitely helped.

That sucks. I lost a few to slugs and snails then some peppers due to some insects. Some sluggo and lady bugs did the trick.

I pruned the other down to just stem and base, gonna just see what happens.

I haven't had any insect or slug problems, yet.

*flair ups

gay-couple.jpg

9k=

*flare ups

Psoriasis1.jpg

Reactions: 4 people
So overnight I finally got pepper pods on my super hots. Up till now just flowers...but today I'm seeing quite a few habs, ghosts and scorpions! I could have a bumper crop...fingers crossed. :dance2:

Last edited:
I don't have anything major hot like scorpion or ghosts but I would love to try them.

Growing this year.
Jalapenos
Dragon Cayenne
Habaneros

Reactions: 2 people
I don't have anything major hot like scorpion or ghosts but I would love to try them.

Growing this year.
Jalapenos
Dragon Cayenne
Habaneros

Take a look at chocolate hananeros too. 3 x the heat of a hab (so not as bad as a ghost or scorpion) but much easier to grow. I grew them last year and loved them. I just couldn't find the plants this year. I'll probably grow from seed or order plants next year.

So overnight I finally got pepper pods on my super hots. Up till now just flowers...but today I'm seeing quite a few habs, ghosts and scorpions! I could have a bumper crop...fingers crossed. :dance2:

Awesome! I actually have a new one today too! It's crazy how excited I get when I see a new one.:)

When you start thinking about getting some seeds, let me know. I might be able to help you with it.

Take a look at chocolate hananeros too. 3 x the heat of a hab (so not as bad as a ghost or scorpion) but much easier to grow. I grew them last year and loved them. I just couldn't find the plants this year. I'll probably grow from seed or order plants next year.

Yeah, I'll have to look into ordering. I usually just grow what I can find locally. I should have some peppers ready to pick in the next couple weeks. Nothing like picking peppers fresh to make poppers for the grill.

Loooong story short.

I ordered 8 different types of pepper seeds on April 23rd. Including chocolate Habs. Still haven't received them. Since then I ordered 5 seeds each of Carolina Reaper and Chocolate Scorpions from a different place. Received them 4 days later. They've been germinating 7 days. Should know pretty soon if they are quality.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Wow.
Didn't even make it halfway through your thread Behr. Obvious was just obvious. What a great idea, reminds me of the big recruit threads were certain people never show and the ones who do, well. I will finish it in just a bit.

Going to try to get you a pic of my golden retriever posted later. Probably just do it in this thread. She's gone now also and ironically, her name was Bear.

Wow.
Didn't even make it halfway through your thread Behr. Obvious was just obvious. What a great idea, reminds me of the big recruit threads were certain people never show and the ones who do, well. I will finish it in just a bit.

Going to try to get you a pic of my golden retriever posted later. Probably just do it in this thread. She's gone now also and ironically, her name was Bear.

Thought you would be interested in that. It's been hard not to respond to some in there, the way I'd like to, but soon enough I will. I also wanted to give JP a heads up, I know you and him both notice some of the same stuff I do. If you want to troll it some, in a non malicious way, have at it. :)

I look forward to it. Behr has been gone a little over 3 years now, he was 9.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back