Subaru

Before accusing people of ignorance you might want to know that the 911 is not a traditional automatic transmission. It is a dual clutch which operates essentially like two manual transmissions, for a supreme level of responsiveness. However the chevy corvette uses a traditional automatic transmission, so you are wrong on your statement again.

Cvt's are fine so long as you don't mind an unresponsive and disconnected driving experience.

You can stick to educating us on Mazdas but you can teach me nothing on Porche. Not trying to be a dick, but I've been a devoted Porche guy since I was in highschool.

Corvette uses an automatic because its demographic wants an automatic. It's still inferior to a manual for performance.

Porche took away the clutch on the new turbo because no one is skilled enough to drive that car 0-60 under 3 seconds.

It's not whining to point out that the engine in a CVT equipped car has a peculiar drone to it that is not present in a car equipped with a real automatic.

Even the program Motor Week kvetches about CVTs. It's not ignorance, it's a personal preference.

There's your problem, you're letting Motor Week form your opinion.

CVT trannies are reliable. They're not as responsive as a traditional automatics, true, but just barely. Vast majority of all drivers could never tell you the difference after driving both though.

It's ignorant to caution someone about a car purchase over a non issue. He's buying a family car, not a sports car.

You can stick to educating us on Mazdas but you can teach me nothing on Porche. Not trying to be a dick, but I've been a devoted Porche guy since I was in highschool.

Corvette uses an automatic because its demographic wants an automatic. It's still inferior to a manual for performance.

Porche took away the clutch on the new turbo because no one is skilled enough to drive that car 0-60 under 3 seconds.

I could teach you to how spell the name of the company properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Anyway, we've really derailed here.

To the OP Subaru makes a great vehicle, they are dependable and the friends I have who have owned them swear by. My friends have had very little trouble with them. Parts prices are in line with their competitors. The cvt issues are real in terms of the everyday driving experience. The cvt is simply not as responsive to driver inputs as you might be used to.

I also encourage you to test drive some of the Subaru's competitors. This is an investment and it's always worth doing your due diligence.

Last edited:
Meh. Not 100% on board with calling it "success".

Carlos Ghosn (Nerd check my spelling) signed off on it. He's not going to put something in a Maxima unless its solid. Most manufacturers are using them now in varying configurations. Very few drivers can get behind the wheel and tell a difference, only the car buffs. And car buffs don't drive automatics anyway.

Carlos Ghosn (Nerd check my spelling) signed off on it. He's not going to put something in a Maxima unless its solid. Most manufacturers are using them now in varying configurations. Very few drivers can get behind the wheel and tell a difference, only the car buffs. And car buffs don't drive automatics anyway.

Admittedly, I'm primarily basing it on a friend that's a 25 year Nissan/Datsun tech. He's been less than rosy about how they've performed (and he says that they don't exactly score high in customer satisfaction). Add to that the majority of the automotive press has been far from kind about them (even frigging Consumer Reports takes shots here and there).

Not the worst thing ever, but far from a true success.

I will say Nissan's CVTs are ahead of where they where when they first introduced them.

But honestly, I'm not a fan of where Nissan in general has gone in the last 5-10 years.

There's your problem, you're letting Motor Week form your opinion.

CVT trannies are reliable. They're not as responsive as a traditional automatics, true, but just barely. Vast majority of all drivers could never tell you the difference after driving both though.

It's ignorant to caution someone about a car purchase over a non issue. He's buying a family car, not a sports car.

sigh

I haven't liked CVTs since I first drove a Subaru Justy nearly 30 years ago. I used Motor Week as an example of the near universal opinion of the automotive press that CVTs suck.

Reactions: 1 person
Admittedly, I'm primarily basing it on a friend that's a 25 year Nissan/Datsun tech. He's been less than rosy about how they've performed (and he says that they don't exactly score high in customer satisfaction). Add to that the majority of the automotive press has been far from kind about them (even frigging Consumer Reports takes shots here and there).

Not the worst thing ever, but far from a true success.

I will say Nissan's CVTs are ahead of where they where when they first introduced them.

But honestly, I'm not a fan of where Nissan in general has gone in the last 5-10 years.

I think Nissan has rebounded nicely compared to the garbage they were churning out a decade ago. I agree though that I consider them last among the Jap automakers.

I think CVT's will eventually be phased out as technology advances, but I just don't agree that someone should avoid buying a family car for that reason. Most families just want a D and an R on the shifter.

I think Nissan has rebounded nicely compared to the garbage they were churning out a decade ago. I agree though that I consider them last among the Jap automakers.

I think CVT's will eventually be phased out as technology advances, but I just don't agree that someone should avoid buying a family car for that reason. Most families just want a D and an R on the shifter.

I think that's fair. Its not something I would vouch for by any means, but, like you said most people don't care in the slightest.

90% of car buyers only check to see that its not a manual and move on to things like Nav, backup cameras, etc.

I think that's fair. Its not something I would vouch for by any means, but, like you said most people don't care in the slightest.

90% of car buyers only check to see that its not a manual and move on to things like Nav, backup cameras, etc.

I'm happy to be part of the 10% that would look for a manual first and prefer a car without all the electronic nannies and aids, especially nav.

I'm happy to be part of the 10% that would look for a manual first and prefer a car without all the electronic nannies and aids, especially nav.

I hate factory nav. systems. HATE.

Speaking of manuals...

I started about a month ago teaching my wife how to drive a manual (she kept saying she couldn't understand why I prefer them, so I wanted her to learn).

I called her Dad after the first try and told him he owes me a steak. Several steaks.

I want it all. I wan't to be able to buy a manual transmission car without having to forgo modern conveniences such as heated seats, back up cameras, touch screen displays, and the like.

I have an '08 accord v6, would give anything if it was manual. Looking to trade it in for something, and 99% of the cars out there are automatic, that blows

I'm not sure that even 10% of people look for manuals any more. I'd think its more around 3%. If that.

It's getting near impossible to even find a manual truck.

I'm not sure that even 10% of people look for manuals any more. I'd think its more around 3%. If that.

It's getting near impossible to even find a manual truck.

Last I checked it was around 7%. I think that may hold steady for the next 4-5 years then drop off again.

Small sample size, but of the 9 or 10, 2014 Mazda 3s I've sold 2 have been manual. I think of our current inventory maybe 5-7% are manual.

Last edited:
Last I checked it was around 7%. I think that may hold steady for the next 4-5 years then drop off again.

Small sample size, but of the 9 or 10, 2014 Mazda 3s I've sold 2 have been manual. I think of our current inventory maybe 5-7% are manual.

I drive a Ridgeline. Wish manual was an option. Most versatile vehicle I've owned. Love it other than the auto.

If Mazda would produce another truck in the states I'd trade tomorrow. B2300 4x4 is one of my favorite vehicles of all time.

I drive a Ridgeline. Wish manual was an option. Most versatile vehicle I've owned. Love it other than the auto.

If Mazda would produce another truck in the states I'd trade tomorrow. B2300 4x4 is one of my favorite vehicles of all time.

I'm seriously thinking of looking at a Ridgeline if I ever get a gig closer to home. My uncle had one that I loved. Like you said, ridiculously versatile.

Haven't heard a B2300 mentioned in a while! We had one Dad was given, saying the motor was bad since it smoked like a freight train. I forget now what was wrong (it was something incredibly minor), but we ended up putting 25k more miles on the 'bad' motor.

VN Store

Back