Status of Coach Willie Martinez

I believe final decision on all staffing should be run past a 99-member panel of Vol Nation members to approve or reject Heupel's recommendation.

Only requirements are that no panel member can ever have played football before, and all supporting information must be hearsay. Also, we need to debate it for at least 20 pages COMPLETELY SEPERATE THREADS, even if we all agree from the outset (unlikely, admittedly).

I think this will really help our program.
FYP bud

A big red flag has just went up regarding Heupel. This is not good. Especially when Bamas DB coach may be on the market soon.
NOPE, the red flags are and have been the intelligence and loyalty of FANS that make pronouncements on this situation with their stands and living room perspectives instead of accepting that our AD, HC, and DC get to see every player, and every rep and decide the responsibility for the generally accepted unacceptable level of on field performance and the best solution path.

Arrogance is what it is and has it’s costs on fields and boards. Changing a position coach WITH the level of turnover they orchestrated in those rooms COULD have been assessed a bad risk with worse odds AT THIS TIME.

REDUNDANCY does not really change the questions or the facts. Repackaging a message to attain a status of if you say it enough it must be true ALSO is what it is.

If such a great recruiter why has our backfield look so bad since he’s been here
Because it was filled with players recruited by the previous coach. Have you not watched Gibson, Thomas and Matthew’s?? All players recruited by Martinez. It was also reported that Carter had great bowl practices.

Some of you guys amaze me you either make it up in your head and chose to ignore the situation this staff inherited.

I guess we won't see secondary covering any receivers within 5 yards and when they do, they will have their backs to the QB and not see the ball until after it is caught. I guess we will see ZERO proper tackling technique out of the secondary group as well. No man coverage, lax zone with people literally running wide open. Yay, I can't wait.....

Because it was filled with players recruited by the previous coach. Have you not watched Gibson, Thomas and Matthew’s?? All players recruited by Martinez. It was also reported that Carter had great bowl practices.

Some of you guys amaze me you either make it up in your head and chose to ignore the situation this staff inherited.
Name one really good secondary he coached at any of his 73 coaching stents. I guarantee that even if he was on staff with teams that had success, the secondary was the weak link.

Reactions: Deebowbear
Name one really good secondary he coached at any of his 73 coaching stents. I guarantee that even if he was on staff with teams that had success, the secondary was the weak link.
You name a bad one that was loaded with his players.

I don’t care enough to research his teams but the fact remains he was coaching a secondary that didn’t have SEC caliber players up until this upcoming season.

You know, I put the obvious trolls on ignore. It is bliss.

[at least one of those is in this thread; can't see him, but see folks replying to him occasionally]

But for some reason, I keep holding out hope that BOT isn't really one, that he will eventually get his act together.

Maybe it's time to give in. He doesn't seem to be getting better.

Anyway, it always astounds me the hubris of people who think they can judge coaching talent better than a professional, and one with all the insider information, like Josh Heupel. Dunning-Kruger, maybe? idk.

Thanks for the news, LWS.

Go Vols!

I've never been real impressed with Willie, except for his recruiting ability...he does do pretty well there. Since he's still going to be hanging around I guess, it will be interesting to see what he can do with the better talent that he's going to have this upcoming year. He hasn't had much to work with to be fair. Hopefully this isn't another year of me screaming "Turn around!" at the T.V. as a pass doinks off one of our corners helmets.
If only it boinked off their helmets. Usually, it is the CB looking the ball into the hands of the receiver then slapping at it.......

Reactions: norrislakevol
Stop the worry..

He has signed a new contract. Announcement to be made in the coming weeks. Likely waiting on the rest of the staff to finalize deals.

For all of those still wondering about Willie.
Well hell Larry, why don't you just kick us in the nads...... 😳

Reactions: perico
Have to believe this came down to recruiting.
Not really. Doesn’t hurt though. A lot of our fans are completely clueless is what it comes down to. We’re just now starting to actually restock the kind talent to be competitive with elite programs. We’ve gone from dumpster fire to being competitive hell even beating Bama. Defense has improved every year as well even though we haven’t had much back there. I’m not saying Martinez is fantastic but he’s much better than ppl think.

Stop the worry..

He has signed a new contract. Announcement to be made in the coming weeks. Likely waiting on the rest of the staff to finalize deals.

No. Just make him go away

Stop the worry..

Not really worried that he leaves. Worried that he stays

So in your opinion fans shouldn’t have opinions. Got it. We all have to like every move our head coach makes without question right?
NOT SO FAST, MY FRIEND!

I'm saying the opposite. I was actually hoping you would agree to chair this important panel. I can think of nobody better qualified here - your posts speak for themselves. 👍

Reactions: Volatile.33
I guess we won't see secondary covering any receivers within 5 yards and when they do, they will have their backs to the QB and not see the ball until after it is caught. I guess we will see ZERO proper tackling technique out of the secondary group as well. No man coverage, lax zone with people literally running wide open. Yay, I can't wait.....
You obviously missed the fact that the perpetrators of those tendencies used up their eligibility or hit the portal en mass SO NOW we can see what the younger guys who signed on as the NCAA hammer became less of a potential and our portal additions play it the same way. If they don't all your assumptions are worthless and an unredeemable pox on your VOL soul.

This arrogant judgmental game can be fun huh.

I think I am supposed to repackage this message multiple times to make it true. So stay tuned.

Not really. Martinez is a great recruiter. All of the staff was given time to get some players in place. Obviously you think we had top tier talent already though.

Sorry but I’m not buying that. Being a great recruiter means little when you can’t coach the kids up to SEC-quality DBs. Also, why the mass exodus of our secondary players in the last few weeks? They voted with their feet. Martinez has had three years to build an SEC-quality secondary. We don’t have one. And now it seems we are starting over in Martinez’s fourth year. We may be looking at another year of our DBs getting burned frequently.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
You know Bama's DBs were not that good. Their front 7 was good. Yall just say stuff, and it's stupid.
Yep the deep ball killed them this year, if Auburn had a QB with a pulse they'd won that game + the lucky 4th & 31. Bama had just one real good cover guy, I think Saban knew he was lucky to make the F4 this year he had to coach his A off to squeak in, was time to exit.
We will see if the players picked up can be formed into a better D backfiel. Some of you should know its not the law you have to turn your head around every time, sometimes DBs turn head just as WRs make a cut and TD, then ppl are on here why was that guy so wide open. If you turn your head the likelihood of getting a PI goes down when hand fighting for the ball and chance for interception. Sometimes you just have to keep the eye on receiver and play and knock the ball as it arrives. It is taught both ways its circumstantial. The talking points on a PI by announcers are, he would not have got a PI if he'd turned his head. So the casual fans thinks on every pass DB has to turn his head because they heard their favorite TV guy Gary Danielson say "well probably a PI because guy didn't get his head around". I've just seen on here that was one of the most talked about banes of DB haters post.

NOPE, the red flags are and have been the intelligence and loyalty of FANS that make pronouncements on this situation with their stands and living room perspectives instead of accepting that our AD, HC, and DC get to see every player, and every rep and decide the responsibility for the generally accepted unacceptable level of on field performance and the best solution path.

Arrogance is what it is and has it’s costs on fields and boards. Changing a position coach WITH the level of turnover they orchestrated in those rooms COULD have been assessed a bad risk with worse odds AT THIS TIME.

REDUNDANCY does not really change the questions or the facts. Repackaging a message to attain a status of if you say it enough it must be true ALSO is what it is.
Or you just watch the games from the past times he was Coaching here and the last 3 years. Secondary is a glaring weak spot and he’s either good at recruiting the wrong players or good at making good recruits play bad.

VN Store

Back