State of Athletic Dept

I have an issue with the bold, I'm just not quite sure what it is yet.

You find fault with the grammatical construct?
Gruden reminds you of Luden, and you had a traumatic experience with cough drops as a child?

Describe for us only the good things you remember about your mother...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0[/youtube]

I agree, there is big money and egos at every top school, but the difference between them and Tennessee is they know when to get out of their own way and make decisions for the best of their program, we do not.

It's probably more like the interests of the elites at other schools are more closely aligned with each other. Nobody is going to bite the bullet and do something that is bad for them personally but good for the school. Everybody operates in their own self-interest. In and of itself, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. The key is to have a cohesive group of people whose own interests are roughly aligned both with each others' and with the school itself. Fulmer himself has talked about this before when asked why he had such a run of success in the late 90s/early 2000s. Tennessee used to have that but not anymore. What changed?

Tennessee seems to have a group of people whose interests are opposed to each other, which leads to the creation of factions and generally not being on the same page. That's a recipe for disaster for any organization.

Reactions: 1 person
Hamilton, booger eatin Gator, bammer dave, and the guy in the presidents office, thx for screwing UT and the fans, plus all the coaches

If you know basketball..... Donnie wasn't a bad coach. I think he would have won here as lookin at his X's and O's....and his team played well.

He was just like Bruce...... good coach but just dumb in a few decisions he made. But a heck of a coach.

Maybe I should have clarified myself more. You are right DT was not a bad coach but was a terrible hire! They did not do due diligence. Those allegations were out there. They could have found out, but they didn't, and it bit us in the butt! Bad hire. Kiffin was a bad hire, Raleigh was a bad hire, Holly is a bad hire, Dooley was a bad coach and a bad hire, etc, Time and space do not permit an exhaustive list! There's a pattern here, and it points back to the common place of origin. When are these people going to be held accountable?
I manage a staff, I make decisions for an organization, and if I had that track record I'd be gone.

People said it was too inbred.. So they hired outsiders. Outsiders see it as a job and nothing more. That's why they have to get this hire right or it's going to suck for a even longer time. It's really about paying the money.. They don't seem to want too do that. They want to win championships, but their actions say it isn't a priority. That's how you end up with coach LA Tech and Coach Cincinnati, back to back.

It was too inbred. Now it's not inbred enough. We need the right level of inbreeding of this thing's gonna get righted.

At some point you look around and say I guess we are who our record says we are. When is the last time we won the SEC in anything. We use to battle Florida and Alabama for supremacy. We had a good program in most everything. Football was great, women's basketball was the envy of the country, even our baseball team was going to the CWS every four or five years. Who are we better than now? No one. We have one of the worst programs collectively in the SEC. we are middle of the road in football, bottom of the heap in basketball, baseball, and our women's BB is a shell of its former self. We've hired some of the worst coaches in our history! Todd Raleigh, Vince Dooley, (that is not a typo. We thought we were getting Vince Dooley but we didn't!) Donnie Tyndall, heck the list goes on and on. Who hired those people? Those are the people who should be held responsible!! If this was the corporate world they would have been gone a long time ago! And the same people are now in charge of hiring the new AD. If they get it wrong you can just bank in another ten years of mediocrity. Let's pray for a miracle.

You really need to check your facts. For a lot of the sports other than football and basketball, the dominance was back in the 1970's with some in 1980's where there was dominance. It was never across the board in all sports. The last championship in baseball was 1995.

Folks always remember the good old days being much better than they really were. That is because our mind remembers what was good and forgets what was not so good.

Honestly the dominance for a lot of schools was when the rule around scholarships were not as stringent. Great teams could stoke pile the best players in many sports. Exposure via television and radio was only there for a handful of schools so those were the ones that good athletes tended to gravitate towards. Today that is not a barrier.

This is complete conjecture.

It's conjecture based on all available facts. He in all likelihood was the best candidate at the time.

JFreak is correct when he says that Butch wasn't some bargain basement cheapo hire. Especially when you consider the University's financials at the time he was hired.

You find fault with the grammatical construct?
Gruden reminds you of Luden, and you had a traumatic experience with cough drops as a child?

Describe for us only the good things you remember about your mother...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umc9ezAyJv0[/youtube]

Yes.
No.
Stfu.

:)

Last edited:
You really need to check your facts. For a lot of the sports other than football and basketball, the dominance was back in the 1970's with some in 1980's where there was dominance. It was never across the board in all sports. The last championship in baseball was 1995.

Folks always remember the good old days being much better than they really were. That is because our mind remembers what was good and forgets what was not so good.

Honestly the dominance for a lot of schools was when the rule around scholarships were not as stringent. Great teams could stoke pile the best players in many sports. Exposure via television and radio was only there for a handful of schools so those were the ones that good athletes tended to gravitate towards. Today that is not a barrier.

I agree. Oh the good old days. I remember them well and look forward for them again; very soon.

Well, I'll give you my problem with it.
I wanted Gruden here as badly as anyone. I lived in the Grumor threads constantly during that time mostly as a place to have hope during the most dismal time for Tennessee football in my life. Yes,I clung to every rumor and wanted to believe them despite the tiny voice in the back of my mind constantly telling me there's no way it's happening. Was I disappointed when it didn't happen and Jones was hired? Highly. Did I condemn Jones because of my disappointment? No. After listening to him and then seeing what he was doing he had my full support. My criticisms of Jones are based solely on Jones and has absolutely zero to do with Gruden or any other coach I may have wanted at the time.

Yea, some of that is part of it.

Another part is the grammatical structure, as Tin Man suggested. I have an issue, not a "problem". I think everyone should have an issue with the situation. I don't think "those" that wanted Gruden or someone else, have an issue or a problem just because of that. And "never gotten over it"?

Parts of that post could, and does describe posters from "both sides", and it confuses me, which sometimes is not hard to do.

I had forgotten I posted that, Tin Man reminded me. I'm still not sure how to better respond.

Edit: I don't know where that green emoji came from or how to get rid of it.

Last edited:
Yes.
No.
Stfu.

:)

1432294724-owl-funny-gif.gif

VN Store

Back