State of Athletic Dept

Yes, Manning approved of Jones.

And Jones has been a good hire. Those that have a problem wanted Gruden or someone else who wasn't interested in the job - and they have never gotten over that.

Bad hire = need to replace in year 2 or 3 because team is still losing badly with no bowl games and is not competitive on the field.

The truth is 3 successive winning seasons, 3 bowl games, 2 years in a row ranked at the end in the top 25. Season ticket sales last season were highest ever .... etc.

Yes I know some are going to point out who we lost to and what should have been - but there is no way to dispute that progress has been made and that Jones has re-established the football program to a level way above where it was when the down trend started.

I have an issue with the bold, I'm just not quite sure what it is yet.

Reactions: 1 person
I believe it is true. When one refuses to look at the improvements made in every facet of the football program, they often make statements which are difficult for most people to comprehend. Keep trying.

Well, at the time, Jones was offering his services to any job perceived to be better than UC. With that said, I feel he's done a great job of steadying the ship and getting it back on track. Can he get us to the destination? That's the question.

Simply, a severe lack of strength and leadership at the highest levels of administration..

Well, at the time, Jones was offering his services to any job perceived to be better than UC. With that said, I feel he's done a great job of steadying the ship and getting it back on track. Can he get us to the destination? That's the question.

The track of the football program is directly tied to the thread title.

The state of the athletic dept. (and some of the power players involved) is how you go from Fulmer, to Kiffin, to Dooley, and now Jones. They have yet to hire a guy as good (much less better) than the one originally fired. Jones landed here because of the state of the program. He was a megaphone guy that gets everybody excited and sells tickets. (A "Carnival Barker" as one ex player and booster tagged him) His only shot at this job was UT hiring Dooley and having to replace him. That situation fits his abilities. Now that the situation is different his liabilities are under a microscope. Recruiting has fallen off from his 2 corner stone classes now that early playing time and legacy players are not readily available which is a pretty good tell for where you are headed.

Reactions: 2 people
The track of the football program is directly tied to the thread title.

The state of the athletic dept. (and some of the power players involved) is how you go from Fulmer, to Kiffin, to Dooley, and now Jones. They have yet to hire a guy as good (much less better) than the one originally fired. Jones landed here because of the state of the program. He was a megaphone guy that gets everybody excited and sells tickets. (A "Carnival Barker" as one ex player and booster tagged him) His only shot at this job was UT hiring Dooley and having to replace him. That situation fits his abilities. Now that the situation is different his liabilities are under a microscope. Recruiting has fallen off from his 2 corner stone classes now that early playing time and legacy players are not readily available which is a pretty good tell for where you are headed.

Heck of a post, Beecher. :good!:

It amazes me the amount of people that are a fan of Jones, more so than a fan of UT. IMO, Jones seems like he will always be looking for the opportunity to jump.

Two words:
Mike Hamilton

How long can you keep putting the blame on him.. He sucked, no doubt but at some point the blame falls on the current administration..

We are past that point IMO...

Reactions: 3 people
My humble summation is for most of us on the board life is about Orange & White. We care enough I believe that if the average Joe on here was assigned a task in the Athletic Dept we'd make it top priority to get it done. The current administration just puts out this vibe of "meh, we'll get to it....eventually" like it's a matter of running low on milk or something. The apathy they seem to have is enough to make a grown man vomit. Again just my humble summation.

My humble summation is for most of us on the board life is about Orange & White. We care enough I believe that if the average Joe on here was assigned a task in the Athletic Dept we'd make it top priority to get it done. The current administration just puts out this vibe of "meh, we'll get to it....eventually" like it's a matter of running low on milk or something. The apathy they seem to have is enough to make a grown man vomit. Again just my humble summation.

I think that is a really good way of putting it. There doesn't appear to be a sense of urgency or priority about it.

At some point you look around and say I guess we are who our record says we are. When is the last time we won the SEC in anything. We use to battle Florida and Alabama for supremacy. We had a good program in most everything. Football was great, women's basketball was the envy of the country, even our baseball team was going to the CWS every four or five years. Who are we better than now? No one. We have one of the worst programs collectively in the SEC. we are middle of the road in football, bottom of the heap in basketball, baseball, and our women's BB is a shell of its former self. We've hired some of the worst coaches in our history! Todd Raleigh, Vince Dooley, (that is not a typo. We thought we were getting Vince Dooley but we didn't!) Donnie Tyndall, heck the list goes on and on. Who hired those people? Those are the people who should be held responsible!! If this was the corporate world they would have been gone a long time ago! And the same people are now in charge of hiring the new AD. If they get it wrong you can just bank in another ten years of mediocrity. Let's pray for a miracle.

Heck of a post, Beecher. :good!:

It amazes me the amount of people that are a fan of Jones, more so than a fan of UT. IMO, Jones seems like he will always be looking for the opportunity to jump.

I don't get that feeling and I don't need know where those thoughts come from. You can see it in the mans face and his feelings towards it on every play.

Everyone can hide stuff but your true feelings and how deep you care or don't care play out in your feelings, facial expressisions,etc.

I don't know where the thought that he is looking to jump comes from as he is sold on UT at the moment and is not a renter but an owner....

At some point you look around and say I guess we are who our record says we are. When is the last time we won the SEC in anything. We use to battle Florida and Alabama for supremacy. We had a good program in most everything. Football was great, women's basketball was the envy of the country, even our baseball team was going to the CWS every four or five years. Who are we better than now? No one. We have one of the worst programs collectively in the SEC. we are middle of the road in football, bottom of the heap in basketball, baseball, and our women's BB is a shell of its former self. We've hired some of the worst coaches in our history! Todd Raleigh, Vince Dooley, (that is not a typo. We thought we were getting Vince Dooley but we didn't!) Donnie Tyndall, heck the list goes on and on. Who hired those people? Those are the people who should be held responsible!! If this was the corporate world they would have been gone a long time ago! And the same people are now in charge of hiring the new AD. If they get it wrong you can just bank in another ten years of mediocrity. Let's pray for a miracle.

If you know basketball..... Donnie wasn't a bad coach. I think he would have won here as lookin at his X's and O's....and his team played well.

He was just like Bruce...... good coach but just dumb in a few decisions he made. But a heck of a coach.

I have an issue with the bold, I'm just not quite sure what it is yet.

Well, I'll give you my problem with it.
I wanted Gruden here as badly as anyone. I lived in the Grumor threads constantly during that time mostly as a place to have hope during the most dismal time for Tennessee football in my life. Yes,I clung to every rumor and wanted to believe them despite the tiny voice in the back of my mind constantly telling me there's no way it's happening. Was I disappointed when it didn't happen and Jones was hired? Highly. Did I condemn Jones because of my disappointment? No. After listening to him and then seeing what he was doing he had my full support. My criticisms of Jones are based solely on Jones and has absolutely zero to do with Gruden or any other coach I may have wanted at the time.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree. Jones has created his own legacy here. He got us out of the ditch and back on the road with the help of some orange bleeding legacies who would've come here no matter who the coach is (except maybe not for DD). He seems to have plateaued. He'll get this season to show that the coaching blunders in tight games in 2015 and the meltdowns against inferior competition in 2016 were just aberrations.

Egos and politics are everywhere. Especially at the big schools.

What is different about Tennessee?

I agree, there is big money and egos at every top school, but the difference between them and Tennessee is they know when to get out of their own way and make decisions for the best of their program, we do not.

Well, I'll give you my problem with it.
I wanted Gruden here as badly as anyone. I lived in the Grumor threads constantly during that time mostly as a place to have hope during the most dismal time for Tennessee football in my life. Yes,I clung to every rumor and wanted to believe them despite the tiny voice in the back of my mind constantly telling me there's no way it's happening. Was I disappointed when it didn't happen and Jones was hired? Highly. Did I condemn Jones because of my disappointment? No. After listening to him and then seeing what he was doing he had my full support. My criticisms of Jones are based solely on Jones and has absolutely zero to do with Gruden or any other coach I may have wanted at the time.

Great post, as always. Also, fantastic avatar...Lemmy Rules!

If you believe that article, which I have doubts about, thanks for proving my point. Sounds like we were more than willing to pay well above fair market value for a head coach whose best job in college was as a TE coach at Pacific some 27 years ago. Hard to speculate further because we don't know who the assistants were, but I find it VERY hard to believe the administration let the deal fall through over a couple hundred k's.

If you believe that article, which I have doubts about, thanks for proving my point. Sounds like we were more than willing to pay well above fair market value for a head coach whose best job in college was as a TE coach at Pacific some 27 years ago. Hard to speculate further because we don't know who the assistants were, but I find it VERY hard to believe the administration let the deal fall through over a couple hundred k's.
I don't.

Big boosters in a -:;sing contest with no one in place that has there respect has devastated the athletic department, I say it starts with the president.

VN Store

Back