Stand up Comedy Thread

This was absolutely hilarious. He’s one of the best out there right now, and his ability to keep it clean puts him at the top.

Meh clean, not clean, who cares. If you are funny you are funny. Nate is funny. Mulaney's new special is very very good. Not clean.

Meh clean, not clean, who cares. If you are funny you are funny. Nate is funny. Mulaney's new special is very very good. Not clean.

I do care, actually. I love a range of comics. Fine if they go blue. But if you can be hilarious without the main crutches (swearing too much, dirty humor, racial jokes, etc.) then I have a different level of respect for your craft.

I loved the one Mulaney special I did see. I don't remember him being vulgar, but I'm sure he swore some.

The problem is the guys who don't go blue and are really good...these guys don't really exist. Nate Bargatze is a legend. Cosby was great for his time, but I don't think anybody'd be quoting "Dad is great. Gives us the chocolate cake." if that bit came out in 2023.

Ryan Hamilton is pretty good. I'm not a Brian Regan guy. He's a spazz.

Last edited:
I do care, actually. I love a range of comics. Fine if they go blue. But if you can be hilarious without the main crutches (swearing too much, dirty humor, racial jokes, etc.) then I have a different level of respect for your craft.

I loved the one Mulaney special I did see. I don't remember him being vulgar, but I'm sure he swore some.

The problem is the guys who don't go blue and are really good...these guys don't really exist. Nate Bargatze is a legend. Cosby was great for his time, but I don't think anybody'd be quoting "Dad is great. Gives us the chocolate cake." if that bit came out in 2023.

1683045820008.jpeg

Funny is funny.

Anyone can curse. And I still enjoy comedians that swear, with Norm Macdonald and Bill Burr being two of my favorites. But the clean ones that are still funny are next level.

Reactions: Orange.
I just think you are funny or not. I don't see swearing as some crutch or advantage. If you are funny being clean, right on. If you are funny not being clean, right on. Whatever works. There are plenty of comics that swear that aren't very funny.

I just think you are funny or not. I don't see swearing as some crutch or advantage. If you are funny being clean, right on. If you are funny not being clean, right on. Whatever works. There are plenty of comics that swear that aren't very funny.

It's an appreciation of the wit/cleverness involved. There are some guys that just sound funny saying certain things, and yes, I'll laugh my ass off. I may even laugh hardest at that low brow joke. But I'm going home thinking about the joke where the guy had me thinking "how the hell did he come up with that?"

Reactions: davethevol
It's an appreciation of the wit/cleverness involved. There are some guys that just sound funny saying certain things, and yes, I'll laugh my ass off. I may even laugh hardest at that low brow joke. But I'm going home thinking about the joke where the guy had me thinking "how the hell did he come up with that?"

Well I agree just don't think its centered around potty mouths or not, that's all.

Mitch Hedburg shouldn't have sworn. It added nothing to his comedy and kept people like my parents from enjoying him. He would've been my grandfather's favorite comedian ever and I wouldn't have enjoyed him any less.

I don't want Louis CK to stop swearing. His brand of comedy is designed to exclude my parents, but in some cases, it's such a waste. The audience for Mitch could have been enormous

Mitch Hedburg shouldn't have sworn. It added nothing to his comedy and kept people like my parents from enjoying him. He would've been my grandfather's favorite comedian ever and I wouldn't have enjoyed him any less.

I don't want Louis CK to stop swearing. His brand of comedy is designed to exclude my parents, but in some cases, it's such a waste. The audience for Mitch could have been enormous
Mitch was maybe the most talented comic ever, RIP.

Knowing what I know about Hedberg he had severe stage fright. He didn't even want to do stand up. I doubt he would care about you criticizing his use of bad language. He was lucky just to get out there and that may have helped.

Knowing what I know about Hedberg he had severe stage fright. He didn't even want to do stand up. I doubt he would care about you criticizing his use of bad language. He was lucky just to get out there and that may have helped.

Of course he doesn't care. I don't care if he cares and he shouldn't. I doubt he would care for your defense of him either. He's probably just thinking of his next random joke.

Saying he had stage fright doesn't change that his content could have been enjoyed by a much larger audience, and no reason to get defensive for a dead guy who isn't being wronged here.

Of course he doesn't care. I don't care if he cares and he shouldn't. I doubt he would care for your defense of him either. He's probably just thinking of his next random joke.

Saying he had stage fright doesn't change that his content could have been enjoyed by a much larger audience, and no reason to get defensive for a dead guy who isn't being wronged here.

Just think your hypothesis is dumb. Clean comedy does not in any way equate to a larger audience. In some ways it may detract. Maybe let Mitch, and his comedy, be.

Just think your hypothesis is dumb. Clean comedy does not in any way equate to a larger audience. In some ways it may detract. Maybe let Mitch, and his comedy, be.
I mean, it's not like Mitch was even all that vulgar, compared to many popular comics.

Reactions: bignewt

VN Store

Back