Spring Workouts 03-10-15

"I'm a North fan, but....
1. He's injury prone. Hasn't finished a season healthy yet.
2. He hasn't shown the ability to be able to beat anyone deep
3. He's a beast, but he hasn't shown the ability to get off press man coverage vs the better DBs he's played.
4. While he was a freshman all-American, he had a subpar season last year and received no postseason accolades. "

After that freshman All-American season North went into the '14 season as coaches' preseason All-SEC.

First 6 games of the season he had 25 catches and 4 rec TDs; last 7 games of season he had 5 catches, 0 tds, with him missing all of 3 games -- MO, Vandy and Iowa, and trying to play hurt vs. KY and SC.

He has proven his ability to make clutch catches under tight coverage. Twice he has had games where he had a catch featured on ESPN Sport Center.

I am so looking forward to him playing a full healthy season, in a balanced offense, with an improved Dobbs and an improved OL.

Reactions: 2 people
"I'm a North fan, but....
3. He's a beast, but he hasn't shown the ability to get off press man coverage vs the better DBs he's played.
4. While he was a freshman all-American, he had a subpar season last year and received no postseason accolades. "

After that freshman All-American season North went into the '14 season as coaches' preseason All-SEC.

First 6 games of the season he had 25 catches and 4 rec TDs; last 7 games of season he had 5 catches, 0 tds, with him missing all of 3 games -- MO, Vandy and Iowa, and trying to play hurt vs. KY and SC.

He has proven his ability to make clutch catches under tight coverage. Twice he has had games where he had a catch featured on ESPN Sport Center.

I am so looking forward to him playing a full healthy season, in a balanced offense, with an improved Dobbs and an improved OL.

So, you're saying he DID receive awards/recognition/accolades after the 2014 season? Did I miss it?

He made 3-4 catches as a freshman that were phenomenal that showed his outstanding athletic ability, hands and concentration.

Last year? Not so much. Could've been because of a bum shoulder for the latter part of the season, couldve been something else, I don't know. But the only important catch I recall him making last year was the TD catch vs Georgia. I don't recall anything from the Florida game other than him getting beaten by Hargreaves on the interception in the end zone. He made a nice catch or two vs Bama, but he simply didn't show up as a true #1 go-to WR last year. I know he has the work ethic, physical abilities and mentality to be the guy we all want and need him to be, which is an all-sec, all-American type WR and an eventual first rd NFL pick. But he just hasn't done it yet.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of North as well and I'm looking forward to the same things you are....a healthy North, an improved Dobbs and a better offensive scheme v

alright i have the colors figured out.

Blue are the 'normals'
Red will be All-SEC
White will be All-American
Orange will be Heisman finalists

anyone that says otherwise is a negavol.

Reactions: 3 people
I'm a North fan, but....
4. While he was a freshman all-American, he had a subpar season last year and received no postseason accolades.

If he has a GREAT junior season could he declare early and be drafted in a early round? Sure. But talk about him being a first rd pick after this year? It's not only premature, it's very unrealistic at this point.

Now Sutton?? Yes, we got him for one more year barring injury this season. Hope he has a great junior year and can sneak into the first round.

I don't know how unrealistic it is if 2 mock drafts already have him going late 1st round. And I'm sure the mocks are assuming he stays healthy and has a tremendous junior year.

Just for comparisons sake, Robert Nkemdiche is going top 10 in almost every mock draft and he's had even less impact (statistically) than North. At the end of the day, the NFL Draft is less about production than it is about PHYSICAL ATTRIBUTES and POTENTIAL. And North definitely has those in bunches.

Unless someone new emerges, he'll be in the conversation for top receiver in the upcoming draft with Laquon Treawell, Duke Williams, and Tyler Boyd.

"So, you're saying he DID receive awards/recognition/accolades after the 2014 season? Did I miss it? "

I never said that at all -- you are making crap up. What I did point out was that, the first half of the season, he was on pace for post-season accolades, and the last half of the season injuries kept him from being there, an absence which will certainly explain why he would fall out oft the running for awards and such. So, yeah, apparently you did miss it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
alright i have the colors figured out.

Blue are the 'normals'
Red will be All-SEC
White will be All-American
Orange will be Heisman finalists

anyone that says otherwise is a negavol.

I just knew Dobbs couldn't be the only Vols rocket scientist. :yes:

GO VOLS!

"So, you're saying he DID receive awards/recognition/accolades after the 2014 season? Did I miss it? "

I never said that at all -- you are making crap up. What I did point out was that, the first half of the season, he was on pace for post-season accolades, and the last half of the season injuries kept him from being there, an absence which will certainly explain why he would fall out oft the running for awards and such. So, yeah, apparently you did miss it.

Apologies if I misunderstood your point.

Do you really think 30 catches for 320 yards and 4 tds (3 of which were vs Arky State and UTC) through 8 games put him on a pace to receive all-sec or all-American honors last year had he stayed healthy? That works out to 45 catches for 480 yards and 6 tds.

Had he finished with those numbers he would've finished 9th in the SEC in catches and 28th in yards receiving. If you think he was getting honored for anything with that production, may I suggest you rethink that position.

Let's see how many preseason all-conference or all-American teams he gets mentioned for. I'm a big fan of Marquez, but I'm also willing to say the truth. He was having a poor season last year before the injury and he has a lot to prove in 2015....a lot.

Do you really think 30 catches for 320 yards and 4 tds (3 of which were vs Arky State and UTC) through 8 games put him on a pace to receive all-sec or all-American honors last year had he stayed healthy? That works out to 45 catches for 480 yards and 6 tds.

Had he finished with those numbers he would've finished 9th in the SEC in catches and 28th in yards receiving. If you think he was getting honored for anything with that production, may I suggest you rethink that position.

Let's see how many preseason all-conference or all-American teams he gets mentioned for. I'm a big fan of Marquez, but I'm also willing to say the truth. He was having a poor season last year before the injury and he has a lot to prove in 2015....a lot.

To be fair, with our OL play last season, he didn't get a lot of chances to make big plays when he was healthy. Talent wise, he is a superstar, just gotta get him the ball.

every player has a lot to prove every year. even the great Amari Cooper had a sub-par sophomore season before his historic junior campaign. I know one thing, there are very few wide receivers I would take over Marquez North right now going into his junior season. he's as talented a receiver as there is the nation. and that isn't the Vol fan in me talking.

NORTH: Every time you see a picture of North, he seems so focused. Man, if he stays healthy this year. Watch out. He could have an entire ESPN Top 10 himself.

Ike Brown: Look at that dudes arms. Sheesh. Now that's the guy you want pushing you in the weight room. Wow

Debord: Looks like he's just as intense as Butch. I think he's saying; "I told you the rest of the SEC is going DOWN!!!"

Attachments

• North.jpeg
    North.jpeg
    91.7 KB · Views: 5
  • S&C.jpeg
    S&C.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 5
  • MD.jpeg
    MD.jpeg
    75.6 KB · Views: 2

Brotha, we just don't know what he woulda done last year if healthy. Hopefully we'll find out this year! :rock::loco:

Brotha, we just don't know what he woulda done last year if healthy. Hopefully we'll find out this year! :rock::loco:

Well, we know exactly what he did through 8 games and it was underwhelming to say the least given his physical talent, great ball skills and what coaches have said is a great work ethic.....and the promise he showed as a freshman. I hope like hell he has a bounce back All-American season. But he just wasn't on any kind of pace to win any sort of postseason awards last year had he stayed healthy, which was the point.

Big C would weigh in bout 460 under the last bunch... Nuff said won't speak the name.

Coleman Thomas looks huge.He's really put on some good weight .

One full year in the weight room will definitely help out CT. He looks like a beast now, its a shame he was thrown to the wolves last year. I expect a big improvement out of him.

VN Store

Back