Source: Butch staying, raise pending

He also made UT a nationally recognized school... If Butch get's us on top, his first bad season he should be fired like Fulmer was...

no he didn't. He simply continued off of Johnny's success. Fulmer did a lot of good and a lot of bad. But like the sunshine pumper vs negavol argument, everyone goes way overboard one way or the other depending on which side of the fence you are on.

Reactions: 4 people
You're a resident idiot. No one on this board wants Butch to fail. If Butch succeeds everyone is happy, if he fails they want change. It's pretty simple. I fall in this category.

I watch every game with the intentions we win and therefore Butch wins. I don't give a crap who the coach is as long as he wins and does things the right way, and I'd reckon most feel the same way. If it's someone with the personality of Greg Popavich or Bill Belichick and he wins keep him and pay him. If he loses but has the personality of Gruden, fire him. If you root based on a coach your point of view will always be skewed.

I don't want Butch to succeed because I like his personality and attitude. I want him to succeed because I want UT to succeed.

Are you being serious? You must have just joined Volnation today if you honestly believe no one here wants him to fail? Multiple posts everyday of people saying the best thing for UT would be for Jones to leave.

Reactions: 2 people
no he didn't. He simply continued off of Johnny's success. Fulmer did a lot of good and a lot of bad. But like the sunshine pumper vs negavol argument, everyone goes way overboard one way or the other depending on which side of the fence you are on.

Fulmer was a much better coach(in his prime) than Majors was, but I do wish the way they handled Majors' departure was better.

Fulmer definitely stuck around too long though.

Reactions: 1 person
Fullmer did more for UT than any coach in my life time.

Reactions: 3 people
Fulmer was a much better coach(in his prime) than Majors was, but I do wish the way they handled Majors' departure was better.

Majors still did a lot of good at UT. You can't deny that. Multiple SEC titles, and they were coming off trips to the Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl when Fulmer took the reigns.

What? Fulmer was way better than Majors.. The numbers prove it...

4 division titles in his last 7 years...

9 10+ win seasons in his career...

Majors only had 2...

Reactions: 3 people
What's the big deal about a raise? Any raise Coach Jones and staff will receive will not be of significance, considering it has been paid for by the increased attendance/ticket sales alone.

What? Fulmer was way better than Majors.. The numbers prove it...

4 division titles in his last 7 years...

9 10+ win seasons in his career...

Majors only had 2...

A. The argument isn't who was the better coach.
B. For a lot of Fulmer's tenure he got an extra game that Majors didn't
C. Majors inherited a mess
D. Majors has more SEC Titles
E. Majors couldn't even compete for a division title

Last edited:
Majors still did a lot of good at UT. You can't deny that. Multiple SEC titles, and they were coming off trips to the Sugar Bowl and Fiesta Bowl when Fulmer took the reigns.

Yeah he did very well overall. He took us from average/decent team in the 70s to being a very good team in the 80s/early 90s. Fulmer took that and turned it in to an elite team.

Problem with Majors was he always had a game or two(if not more) each year that we had no real business losing. A fair comparison might be calling him the Mark Richt of the 80s. Very good football coach that just couldn't jump the final hurdle.

His second to last year he gets 10 wins, goes to the SEC Championship, ends up winning the Outback Bowl and finishing 12th in the AP and coaches polls...

All this while recruiting Butch Jones type classes in very poor facilities at the time...

Yeah, he was terrible at the end....

Reactions: 6 people
Yeah he did very well overall. He took us from average/decent team in the 70s to being a very good team in the 80s/early 90s. Fulmer took that and turned it in to an elite team.

Problem with Majors was he always had a game or two(if not more) each year that we had no real business losing. A fair comparison might be calling him the Mark Richt of the 80s. Very good football coach that just couldn't jump the final hurdle.

And Fulmer could rarely get by Florida. And he lost to Memphis. Memphis.

Memphis.

His second to last year he gets 10 wins, goes to the SEC Championship, ends up winning the Outback Bowl and finishing 12th in the AP and coaches polls...

All this while recruiting Butch Jones type classes in very poor facilities at the time...

Yeah, he was terrible at the end....

2002: #5
2003: #7
2004: #9
2005: #1
2006: #24
2007: #4

2008: #35
2009: #7
2010: #16
2011: #10
2012: #22
2013: #36
2014: #4
2015(projected): #4

That's as far back as Scout goes. Discounting years that they either left or became coach ('08 & '13). Fulmer averaged #8.3. CBJ is... #4, twice... While having a 5-7 record. Fulmer was on a downward slide, but still recruiting from a position of national prominence so don't act like he was slumming it.

Fulmer went 5-7 with a team made from #9, #1, #24, #4 classes. CBJ just went 6-6 with #10, #22, #36, #4. We're only losing something like 5 seniors this year. (This is excluding redshirted players from earlier years even though CBJ still had it worse). Fulmer lost with some stacked teams and fell off on years recruiting. CBJ is stacking our team for the future and improving our program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Yup. Spurrier was a better coach. And Memphis was inexcusable, but **** happens sometimes.

The same can't be said for Johnny? And again, the argument isn't who is a better coach. The statement was made that Fulmer made us a national program. We clearly were a national program under Majors.

VN Store

Back