Sounds like QD is going to transfer

I said it a ways back. With what we know about Lyle’s player development skills, QD, JG, or even Jancek could be a Heisman contender and we’d never know it. It was that damn bad.

Reactions: 1 person
All three QBs had their issues! There were issues with the OL, but all the QBs were even worse. Just the offense schema itself sucked! Not likely Peyton in his prime would have looked good in this offense!

Yes they all had issues, however the decision making of Qd is very suspect with his constantly trying to do too much and turning the ball over. Most of the glaring deficiencies with all of the qb's should be remedied by a coach that can develop qb's, but that one aspect of his game is what gives me the most pause about him. However if he does stay and win out the spot and perform up to his potential, then i will support him, but from what i have seen, i am not holding my breath.

The only time you can really compare the two is in the games they both played in. JG did not get into the GT game, but did in the next 3. During the time they played against the same defenses, there was no comparison. Where are all your stats during those 3 games?

No, I think we can make some pretty good comparisons when we see how each compared vs the level of competition that they played.

For instance, if you’re gonna try and tell me QD was a better quarterback because he fared better vs UMass and Indiana State than JG did vs Alabama, LSU and Vandy (the respective 6th, 22nd and 28th ranked pass defenses in the country) then I’m gonna call BS.

I’m not anti- QD in any way. I’ve defended him many times on VN, particularly with how he played vs Florida, when 2 of 3 picks he threw weren’t his fault and when 2 balls he threw should’ve been touchdowns.

But I’m also not anti-JG, and I think that much of the hyperbolic criticism of him is very unfair, especially given the situation he was put in. The kid needs to greatly improve from 2017, I’ve discussed that as well. But he did some really good things last season, against some really good pass defenses and other SEC teams. He can make every throw, he just needs to be taught the position. If you didn’t see the potential he has then you didn’t want to see it imo. And ANY suggestion that McBride played better or should be the guy over Guarantano going forward is certifiably insane.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes they all had issues, however the decision making of Qd is very suspect with his constantly trying to do too much and turning the ball over. Most of the glaring deficiencies with all of the qb's should be remedied by a coach that can develop qb's, but that one aspect of his game is what gives me the most pause about him. However if he does stay and win out the spot and perform up to his potential, then i will support him, but from what i have seen, i am not holding my breath.

QD just never seemed comfortable last year. He consistently threw off his back foot, fell away to his left while making throws and was generally just a mechanical mess. I was very surprised at how inaccurate he was and how unsound he was with his fundamentals.

JG ain’t winning a Heisman anytime soon either...he lacked any pocket presence whatsoever, yet you could see the kid’s arm talent, that he can make every throw. A big difference between the two is that QD would go ahead and force passes which led to interceptions, whereas JG would hold onto the ball way too long and took too many sacks. Both can be significantly coached up by a competent coach/staff imho.

I have a feeling a lot of players that can’t cut it will be just like QD and transfer.

Out with the lazy uninspired entitlement football.

No, I think we can make some pretty good comparisons when we see how each compared vs the level of competition that they played.

For instance, if you’re gonna try and tell me QD was a better quarterback because he fared better vs UMass and Indiana State than JG did vs Alabama, LSU and Vandy (the respective 6th, 22nd and 28th ranked pass defenses in the country) then I’m gonna call BS.

I’m not anti- QD in any way. I’ve defended him many times on VN, particularly with how he played vs Florida, when 2 of 3 picks he threw weren’t his fault and when 2 balls he threw should’ve been touchdowns.

But I’m also not anti-JG, and I think that much of the hyperbolic criticism of him is very unfair, especially given the situation he was put in. The kid needs to greatly improve from 2017, I’ve discussed that as well. But he did some really good things last season, against some really good pass defenses and other SEC teams. He can make every throw, he just needs to be taught the position. If you didn’t see the potential he has then you didn’t want to see it imo. And ANY suggestion that McBride played better or should be the guy over Guarantano going forward is certifiably insane.

I really don't know who will be the starter next year and neither does anybody else on this site. I just get tired of posters bashing the qb's they don't like. If you notice my posts, i haven't bashed anybody, just taken up for others. I am a little biased against JG for the was he behaved during the GT game and then when he did get a chance in the next three games he didn't show me anything. From my experience playing and coaching for close to 40 years, it would be hard to follow someone that acted that way. I do believe that when McBride gets some coaching and experience he will be something special. I will pull for the team no matter show the qb is.

Reactions: 3 people

You sir gave a perfect answer in my opinion. Perfect.

I don't know exactly how our offense will be tweaked -- or significantly transformed -- into something new.

Depending on what kind of offense our new coaches emphasize, some QBs might be a better fit than others, though all these young men can both throw and run a bit.

We shall see.

Wouldn't shock me.

(A) Dormady was very close to Butch, and
(B) JG clearly outplayed him last season

JG is definitely the favorite to be the starter and should be an excellent fit inside Helton's system. Dormady has a lot of talent, though, and with the right coach, could be a very good P5 QB (sort of like Peterman).

I don't understand the love for JG. He pouted on the sidelines when he wasn't playing. When he was on the field he was mediocre at best. He has a lot of learning and growing to do. I am not sold on his being a team player and he definitely hasn't shown any leadership.

This shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone QD was on transfer watch after his Freshman and Sophomore seasons. What should be any different after his junior year where he was leading the conference in turnovers before he was benched.

QD just never seemed comfortable last year. He consistently threw off his back foot, fell away to his left while making throws and was generally just a mechanical mess. I was very surprised at how inaccurate he was and how unsound he was with his fundamentals.

JG ain’t winning a Heisman anytime soon either...he lacked any pocket presence whatsoever, yet you could see the kid’s arm talent, that he can make every throw. A big difference between the two is that QD would go ahead and force passes which led to interceptions, whereas JG would hold onto the ball way too long and took too many sacks. Both can be significantly coached up by a competent coach/staff imho.
I can agree to everything you said, however you can teach jg to throw it away or tuck it and get a few yards. The mechanics of QD can be changed, but i fear his mindset of overconfidence in his throwing ability versus his confidence in his scramble ability cant be coached. If he wins the competition i hope he proves me wrong, but again im not holding my breath on it.

Many reasons none of the qbs were very good, but simply put QD throws the ball when he shouldn't and JG doesn't throw it when he should.

I don't understand the love for JG. He pouted on the sidelines when he wasn't playing. When he was on the field he was mediocre at best. He has a lot of learning and growing to do. I am not sold on his being a team player and he definitely hasn't shown any leadership.

Did you even pay attention to a press conference he did as a starter? He was the only vocal leader that took the blame and continued to progress each game, you can literally watch him get better in each start he gained. Thats not to say he had a stellar year, far from it, but he definitely showed a level of heart emotion and drive that was missing since dobbs left. And as far as the immaturity he showed in the GT game, he admitted his faults on that and seemed to be maturing throughout the year. For example he was the first player to contact JT shrout when he committed to UT, to congratulate him and hype him up.

I would bet a 10000 dollars that Saban, Meyer, Dabo would take JG in a heart beat.

Osu was in his top three when he committed to Tennessee. So i wouldnt take your bet. He also had an offer from mullen when at cow state, and he is known for producing great qb's.

Many reasons none of the qbs were very good, but simply put QD throws the ball when he shouldn't and JG doesn't throw it when he should.

That's pretty much it. Hopefully, both of them can get coached out of it. I do like JG's delivery and arm better though.

Gosh. How many of these QB transfer rumors are we going to have to hash out? Both our guys have transferred out already according to the rumor mills.

Palmer allows his man to get in front of him on a goal line slant. That's a one step drop and throw. That INT goes to QD, but he's not at fault for it.

Callaway runs a route 3 yards short (he admitted it after the game) causing him to bobble the ball to the defense and its a pick 6 to Florida. INT goes to QD, but he's not at fault for it.

Palmer bobbles a fade that hit him in the hands vs UGA and it goes right to the DB. INT goes to QD, but he's not at fault for it.

Context. Hell consider this, QD was one dropped pass away from starting the season 4-0.

For all the "But but but QD throws into multiple coverage" folks, QD only had 3 picks that were on him. That isn't a lot considering he was only throwing to people who were triple covered according to some on here.

There isn't a big gap, if any, between QD or JG. Different skill sets, but there isn't a definitively better QB on our roster over the other 2. All are pretty much equals.

The assassination of QD on this board by some rivals that of Peterman. It is really amazing.

You seem to have summed it up better than anyone yet in my opinion. I would just like to move on and forget 2017 period. New OC, new receivers coach, and new receivers with 2 QB's seemingly in a battle to start. Throw in JJ's injury right off the bat and things have to click and if they don't a degree of chaos is gonna ensue.

I like CJP's approach of shoring up the OL 1st. Once the QB can get past feeling pressured the next steps have a better chance of falling into place. I don't think it's fair to even try to rate either of our QB's performances based on the ineptitude of the coaching staff last season. One word sums up our offense in 2017...lost.

You seem to have summed it up better than anyone yet in my opinion. I would just like to move on and forget 2017 period. New OC, new receivers coach, and new receivers with 2 QB's seemingly in a battle to start. Throw in JJ's injury right off the bat and things have to click and if they don't a degree of chaos is gonna ensue.

I like CJP's approach of shoring up the OL 1st. Once the QB can get past feeling pressured the next steps have a better chance of falling into place. I don't think it's fair to even try to rate either of our QB's performances based on the ineptitude of the coaching staff last season. One word sums up our offense in 2017...lost.

Pretty much dead on. :good!:

I have a feeling a lot of players that can’t cut it will be just like QD and transfer.

Out with the lazy uninspired entitlement football.

I'm sure sorry azz CBJ allowed that type of attitude to develop to some degree but deep down the players sensed it and some just didn't give a f*#k. My gut tells me Pruitt will put 'em to work and if they can't hack it they won't see the field. The only reason they would transfer is to get the free ride and education. Most of 'em will want to play under the new coach IMO. UT has turned the page and we're moving on.

Honestly, I don't think it is. Whether it was injury, distraction etc, QD just never looked comfortable.

Dormady never got coaching. His mechanics were clearly worse from the from the day he arrived through last season. From delivery on throws to reading defenses to throwing off his back foot. The kid has talent but our coaches just destroyed him

VN Store

Back