So...West Virginia's Defense...

Thought I read somewhere that they have brought in 2 or 3 grad transfers to help their D-line. Clemson and USCe transfers I think. Not saying that plugs the middle but it may help them.
Was just reading about this. They guy from USC is a former 5* with two knee injuries who never panned out.

I love how everyone looks at our record last year and considers us doormats without knowing the details of our 4-8 record. Even some of our own fan base, which I believe is do to battered Vol Syndrome. Do you think we would have still had a 4-8 record with a different staff and none of the injuries? Hmmm. No one really knows what this team will do this year, but I tend to believe this staff, which isn't a MAC staff and doesn't play a gimmicky game, and doesn't practice with music, and isn't fully of "please temper expectations because we're the youngest team in...blah blah blah blah", will have this team believing in themselves and playing like an SEC team, not a mid major team. We do have talent. More talent overall than people give us credit for and I believe this staff will develop it, which will be a change. And that change will bring better results. Here's to 2018. Go Vols, beat WV!!!

We can't crow regarding this video. For one thing they played a highly potent offense in this game. For another, had we played the same team, they'd have done the same thing to us. Indeed, a number if our opponents ran right through us as did OU with WV. We can't mock this WV effort with honesty about how they pretty much look like our defense did last season. I'm a homeboy for my Vols but an honest homeboy.
The consensus is that we will be an improved team on both sides of the ball. It is just a matter of how improved.

That's the best offense in the country from last year you are using as an example, but yeah, I agree with the sentiment.

They were very bad on defense last season. Ranked something like #106 in college football and particularly terrible against the run.

If you read over the WV message boards, probably the most delusional comments you'll see are from people who think we won't score on them. I could see WV's offense putting up 40 on us, but we're going to score quite a bit on them. For perspective, Kentucky's D was better than WV's last season and we hung 26 on Kentucky in Lexington with the worst UT offense we've seen in most of our lives.

The key questions IMO are whether we can (a) get a good pass rush on, and (b) not turn the ball over. If we can run it down their throats, wear down their defense, we'll get our points. We can't give them free opportunities and we can't give Grier 8 seconds to find an open receiver.

Go watch the Kansas vs WV game. Kansas, one of the worst teams in FBS, ran allllll overrrrr WV. Scored 30+ points on them. Yes. Even Tennessee wasn’t as bad as Kansas was last year hahaha. Close! But not quite as bad.

I think our talent level on our team is much much better than WV, just by shear recruiting levels over the past few seasons it is so. But obviously Grier will be the best player on the field and I think that’s why Pruitt is really really challenging his Dbacks right now. He knows they will get a trial by fire first snap of the season. Probably one of the best offenses we will face all season will be week 1.

I think we edge out a win tho. I do.

#4 Oklahoma versus a 4-8 team with a new staff entirely. Not to be a NegaVol too much, but come on these arent even comparable.
Did you watch the film? Even if we are half as good as OU on offense we will score. I don;t think you watched the film. Their D is slowwwwwww....

Reactions: feathersax
We can't crow regarding this video. For one thing they played a highly potent offense in this game. For another, had we played the same team, they'd have done the same thing to us. Indeed, a number if our opponents ran right through us as did OU with WV. We can't mock this WV effort with honesty about how they pretty much look like our defense did last season. I'm a homeboy for my Vols but an honest homeboy.

That's why I said we aren't Oklahoma. What it does show is a very porous Run D and their secondary just couldn't keep up from a speed perspective with anyone. I'm not declaring a win...just saying we should be able to move the ball on them.

Reactions: feathersax
That's the best offense in the country from last year you are using as an example, but yeah, I agree with the sentiment.

OU is pushing the ball down field. I hope our OC will have our QB doing the same, for 4 qtrs.

If speaking about last year, well, 4 or so last years ago, we had OU 17-0, and our D broke down. We now have the best Defensive mind in the country and I believe Pruitt will have our D prepared to chase Grier all over the field and put him on the ground several times by the 4th qtr.

I believe UT is wanting WVU to think our offense is going to suck, we have no QB, we have no receivers, blah blah blah. Then we come out and 1st pass is hard hand off fake up the middle and JG pulls it down and hits Callaway for 80 yard bomb!

;)
You assume a lot. JG won't be the starter. KC will be announced on Gameday.

OU is pushing the ball down field. I hope our OC will have our QB doing the same, for 4 qtrs.

If speaking about last year, well, 4 or so last years ago, we had OU 17-0, and our D broke down. We now have the best Defensive mind in the country and I believe Pruitt will have our D prepared to chase Grier all over the field and put him on the ground several times by the 4th qtr.
Best defensive mind in the country huh...

I don't know about that. Maybe one of the best defensive coaches in the country.

He installed the entire defense in the Spring. It will be pretty simple. I'm expecting Jancek level simple. Nothing wrong with that, assuming it doesn't fold like a wet towel in the 4th quarter.

They were very bad on defense last season. Ranked something like #106 in college football and particularly terrible against the run.

If you read over the WV message boards, probably the most delusional comments you'll see are from people who think we won't score on them. I could see WV's offense putting up 40 on us, but we're going to score quite a bit on them. For perspective, Kentucky's D was better than WV's last season and we hung 26 on Kentucky in Lexington with the worst UT offense we've seen in most of our lives.

The key questions IMO are whether we can (a) get a good pass rush on, and (b) not turn the ball over. If we can run it down their throats, wear down their defense, we'll get our points. We can't give them free opportunities and we can't give Grier 8 seconds to find an open receiver.
agree. i think if our O line can hold up, man for man, we should be able to run the ball against WVU. i think we'll try to play keep away to certain extent. some TOP offensively might be the best thing we can do for our defense.

defensively, i agree. but i expect there'll be a lot of quick stuff to guys in space, so i'm not sure how much time we'll have to actually get to the QB and disrupt the play.

it should be a goal. get him off the spot, and disrupt the timing, if we get sacks, even better. past that the most important thing to me is being able to tackle in the open field, especially one on one. can't have a bunch of big gainers....and when you have the chances to get off the field on 3rd and medium or longer, GET OFF THE FIELD.

Strategically speaking, Tennessee is at a pretty large advantage due to their not being any film for WV's defense to study.

Great point!

The last 3 new coaches we have hired have won their first game here. None of them played West Virginia caliber team.... Just a thought.

Go watch the Kansas vs WV game. Kansas, one of the worst teams in FBS, ran allllll overrrrr WV. Scored 30+ points on them. Yes. Even Tennessee wasn’t as bad as Kansas was last year hahaha. Close! But not quite as bad.

I think our talent level on our team is much much better than WV, just by shear recruiting levels over the past few seasons it is so. But obviously Grier will be the best player on the field and I think that’s why Pruitt is really really challenging his Dbacks right now. He knows they will get a trial by fire first snap of the season. Probably one of the best offenses we will face all season will be week 1.

I think we edge out a win tho. I do.

They had a dude rush for 291 yards against WV that game... for comparison his only other 100 yard game of the year was vs ohio and he finished with 850 yards on the year. That rush D is abysmal. About as bad as ours was last year.

Best defensive mind in the country huh...

I don't know about that. Maybe one of the best defensive coaches in the country.

He installed the entire defense in the Spring. It will be pretty simple. I'm expecting Jancek level simple. Nothing wrong with that, assuming it doesn't fold like a wet towel in the 4th quarter.

Hey, that's fine by me -- "One of" per anonymous Volnation source.

And so is this opinion -- “To me, Jeremy is the best defensive mind in the SEC,” the coach stated under anonymity. “He’s better than Nick (Saban) and Kirby (Smart)” per anonymous SEC coach.

I should have clarified -- on of the best, in the SEC.

Seriously, I'm just saying he's pretty good.

Hey, that's fine by me -- "One of" per anonymous Volnation source.

And so is this opinion -- “To me, Jeremy is the best defensive mind in the SEC,” the coach stated under anonymity. “He’s better than Nick (Saban) and Kirby (Smart)” per anonymous SEC coach.

I should have clarified -- on of the best, in the SEC.

Seriously, I'm just saying he's pretty good.
IMHO you're opinion is somewhat off. Maybe Jimbo Fischer or Nick Saban can call you up and straighten out that off-center idea. CJP's not only one of the best defensive minds in the SEC, but this same old Vol believes that, as this season unfolds (this one...not next and thereon), you may just change your tune about his being not only just a pretty good defensive mind within the SEC, but actually one of the best football minds in the game of football. Unlike CJP, Rex ol' buddy, you might wanna' recognize talent when you see it. Jeremy Pruitt, along with his formidable staff, will put a product on the field in Charlotte that's gona' garner a lot of media attention from September 1st on....................

Well we have to be able to score first. Something we were barely able to do last year.
Hopefully... it was just the coaching and system. I suspect that was a very big part of it. The other big part that so far Pruitt is managing MUCH better than Jones is injuries. Last year, there were daily reports of who WAS NOT participating in practice. This year... pretty much everyone seems to be healthy enough to practice or are on a plan to become healthy.

Hopefully... it was just the coaching and system. I suspect that was a very big part of it. The other big part that so far Pruitt is managing MUCH better than Jones is injuries. Last year, there were daily reports of who WAS NOT participating in practice. This year... pretty much everyone seems to be healthy enough to practice or are on a plan to become healthy.
agreed. jennings and hall held out as precautionary. that's it.

all things being equal, this is by far the best news about fall camp thus far.

Reactions: sjt18
It is pretty hard to find a good comparison game from WVU last year. I don't think they played anyone who ran from under center often. OU is obviously better than UT has been on O in awhile... but no one else they played except maybe Texas has top shelf talent. Maybe they're all over rated or maybe they're just the victims of bad coaching... but UT's O will have 2 or 3 4* OL's and 2 5* OL's including one of the best in the country. They will have a former 4* QB. They will have a 4* RB. TE's seldom get ranked high but UT's starter will probably be a 4*. WR will probably be 2 or 3 4* players. If the recruiting sites are even remotely accurate, OU is the only team WVU played last year that is comparable.

So... was it coaching or did Jones just have a knack for finding over rated players?

VN Store

Back