So...West Virginia's Defense...

Looking back over last years results, teams that have a coach that schemes well, held WVU at bay. Texas, Iowa St, Va Tech, and TCU didn't allow them to score at will on them. IMO our D will be much improved and be able to hold their own, as long as the offense can sustain some drives and score some points. I think we will need at least 24 to have a chance to win, but would love for us to come out and hang 60 on them after reading their board.

Going to have to be able to run the ball. I don't think either of the QBs can keep pace with Grier in a shootout. Thats just what WV wants. Have to be able to sustain drives, shorten the game, and play solid Defense.

Based on what game study with the new staff? What will you say if we hang 50 on them? You have no clue what 2018 UT offense will do!

:rolleyes:

Pitiful. OU gashed their middle running and passing. WV seemed to do a little better on the perimeter but the middle of their defense is porous.

This should be a great opportunity for Tennessee to grind out a win on the ground with some play action mixed in. We have the talent on the O-Line and in the backfield to do some damage in this department, especially to a team like WV. Shorten that game and limit their possessions. If I recall correctly, WV had turnover problems last year too. If Tennessee is successful running the football and they cough it up then they are doomed.

Neither we nor WVU knows what to expect of our defense but, however good or not so good they may be, we need to keep them fresh. That means the offense grinding it out with the ground game. CJP seems pleased with our running game to this point. An occasional pass to keep them honest is all we need. Long sustained drives require discipline. I think the coaches have made that a priority. I see reasons for some optimism.

I believe UT is wanting WVU to think our offense is going to suck, we have no QB, we have no receivers, blah blah blah. Then we come out and 1st pass is hard hand off fake up the middle and JG pulls it down and hits Callaway for 80 yard bomb!

;)
Now you've let the cat outta the bag!! CJP gonna have to formulate a new plan now!

Reactions: HalfullVol
Me: I pretty much agree with OP here. I think this defense is geared towards stopping passing, and we can run on them. Refreshing watching this.
National Media: They are playing a team that went to the playoff and Tennessee didn't win and SEC game.

So, do you bet the house on the Vols after seeing this? That's what makes this matchup so intriguing.

I know we won't be Oklahoma good on offense, but they seem swiss cheese on defense.

So many unanswered questions for the Vols after the 4-8 season in 2017, but I feel confident the Vols will be better, how much better is the big question.....a win over WV would go along way in building Needed confidence for this team
Go Vols

Thought I read somewhere that they have brought in 2 or 3 grad transfers to help their D-line. Clemson and USCe transfers I think. Not saying that plugs the middle but it may help them.

Reactions: LittleVol
WVU gonna get surprised. They seem to think UT is the doormat of an average conference. Lyle's gone, there's a new sheriff in town.
All that slinging it all over the field is fun until you play a team that plays old school keep the ball away from you.

Some Mountaineer claimed UWV brought in two big DT transfers, from Clemson and USC. So, their run defense might be improved over what it was last year.

Some Mountaineer claimed UWV brought in two big DT transfers, from Clemson and USC. So, their run defense might be improved over what it was last year.

Yep, exactly.. Another reason to temper expectations, especially considering how poor our OL & QB play was at times last year.. just like Pruitt, Holgorsen has brought in some older transfer guys to shore up the lines.

Jabril Robinson (CLEM) and Kenny Bigelow (USC).. Robinson was a 3* on Rivals, but had productive stats the previous 2 years. Bigelow was a 5* and #6 overall player per Rivals in the '13 class.

Reactions: OneVolNation
I know we won't be Oklahoma good on offense, but they seem swiss cheese on defense.

We can't crow regarding this video. For one thing they played a highly potent offense in this game. For another, had we played the same team, they'd have done the same thing to us. Indeed, a number if our opponents ran right through us as did OU with WV. We can't mock this WV effort with honesty about how they pretty much look like our defense did last season. I'm a homeboy for my Vols but an honest homeboy.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbones0711 and tbh
if we can actually sustain drives and keep the defense off the field, we can pull out a win. If we are like last year and struggle to move the ball, then we will lose. Their offense shines when they can wear out your defense. Their defense just has to disrupt our QBs and push our OL, closing down the running lanes; something that most teams were able to do last year. Is 8 months enough time to get that much better? I guess we will find out Sept 1st.

VN Store

Back