So the Tuohy's were phonies (Michael Oher)

He’s a college educated adult with massive financial resources, how could he not know, have figured it out or been told?

I have a masters degree and I didn’t know what a conservatorship was until the whole Brittney Spears debacle

I never had any reason to look it up or anything so why should I know? If someone I trusted had told me it was just a legal term for adult adoption I’d have believed them and never thought anything of it.

Education doesn’t mean knowledge of everything. Unless he was persuing a law degree then I highly doubt it came up

I read yesterday that the Tuohy’s own 115 Taco Bell/ KFC restaurants. Plus have some ownership in a handful of Friendly’s. That’s no joke. Something I saw and thought I’d add that.

I have a masters degree and I didn’t know what a conservatorship was until the whole Brittney Spears debacle

I never had any reason to look it up or anything so why should I know? If someone I trusted had told me it was just a legal term for adult adoption I’d have believed them and never thought anything of it.

Education doesn’t mean knowledge of everything. Unless he was persuing a law degree then I highly doubt it came up
I appreciate your anecdotal information about your knowledge but I'd bet Oher knows a lot details about playing offensive tackle that you don't because he was involved in that.

I wonder if he might've been involved in a conservatorship???? Why yes, yes he was. It's ridiculous to compare yourself, who wasn't involved in that kind of arrangement to someone who was.

I read yesterday that the Tuohy’s own 115 Taco Bell/ KFC restaurants. Plus have some ownership in a handful of Friendly’s. That’s no joke. Something I saw and thought I’d add that.

AFAIK, they sold off their fast food empire a while back for $200 million +

I dunno if they kept a few or not.

That’s insane. ! I didn’t know that. That’s some scratch. Which circumstantially makes me wonder why they would try to screw over Oher for what is relatively a small amount of money. The reward financially is far less than the risk of what the public perception would be of a rich white family from Memphis screwing over a poor black kid from Memphis.

That’s insane. ! I didn’t know that. That’s some scratch. Which circumstantially makes me wonder why they would try to screw over Oher for what is relatively a small amount of money. The reward financially is far less than the risk of what the public perception would be of a rich white family from Memphis screwing over a poor black kid from Memphis.

Yup. While I am no fan of the Tuoheys a large number of things just don't add up.

If Oher believes they made millions from the movie, he is going to get a rude awakening very quickly. Now if each family member has gotten $75k-$100k in residuals or whatever over 15 years, can you really begrudge them that small amount?

If he wanted out of the conservatorship, I would wager that could have done or agreed to with a very short conversation.

Saw another post that Oher has another book coming out or maybe already out.

I dunno, I just don't see the reasoning for the lawsuit and the resulting publicity unless someone wanted that publicity. Most of this could have been handled behind closed doors for the most part with nobody the wiser. Oher simply going to court with the Tuoheys to end the conservatorship might have ended up on page 75 in the human interest section by this point.

Somebody wanted this to be everywhere and have everyone talking about it.

Those 2019 deals also included a substantial amount of real estate, so it wasn't completely from the sale of those Taco Bell and KFC franchises, but you are right about the revenue. It was reported to be in the neighborhood of $213 million. They still own a few fast food stores in Florida.

Reactions: stolitonic
Those 2019 deals also included a substantial amount of real estate, so it wasn't completely from the sale of those Taco Bell and KFC franchises, but you are right about the revenue. It was reported to be in the neighborhood of $213 million. They still own a few fast food stores in Florida.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if they still owned any of the franchises or it was an all in kind of deal

My point still stands though-doubt much if any of that rumored $213 million had much to do with Other. If he had never entered their lives in any way from or fashion, they would still be filthy rich. What's the point of being too concerned about $75K over the course of 15 years in residuals? At that level of money, the entire amount involved in this lawsuit basically amounts to a rounding error lol. Somebody wanted the publicity.

Gotcha. I wasn't sure if they still owned any of the franchises or it was an all in kind of deal

My point still stands though-doubt much if any of that rumored $213 million had much to do with Other. If he had never entered their lives in any way from or fashion, they would still be filthy rich. What's the point of being too concerned about $75K over the course of 15 years in residuals? At that level of money, the entire amount involved in this lawsuit basically amounts to a rounding error lol. Somebody wanted the publicity.
At some point, I'm sure Michael Oher became well-aware of the Tuohy's liquid income from 2019.

My best guess :

Sean Sr. and Leigh Anne Touhy have been sharing generous portions of it with their biological kids (who are obviously both well into adulthood now), and with Michael's NFL career earnings in mind, they didn't think he should get a cut. Oher probably resents that, and feels he is entitled to some of it as a "member of the family."

It's a combination of greed, with some lingering insincerity on the part of the Tuohy's, possibly playing a role here too. I don't believe they ever thought of Oher as truly being one of their own. That doesn't mean that they weren't still incredibly nice to him, however. They clearly were.

Last edited:

The true story needs to be known. The Tuohy family shouldn't get the legacy of being noble people, if they aren't. If they took advantage of Michael, they deserve to receive the disdain that comes with the actions they took.

Reactions: Orange.
The true story needs to be known. The Tuohy family shouldn't get the legacy of being noble people, if they aren't. If they took advantage of Michael, they deserve to receive the disdain that comes with the actions they took.

I see your point, but all I can ask is why?

Do you feel as though you are owed the "real story"?

History is littered with stories of great men and accomplishments, but when you put a giant magnifying lense on them-most are no different than you and me. For every good there is a bad, etc etc etc

Quite frankly, I can think of a few things I would rather be investigated in history and fully answered than whether or not the Tooheys were really scumbags or not lol.

In the end, this is a pretty simple legal issue. They already said they will not contest ending the conservatorship. How much in total everyone got from the production company could probably be solved with a simple phone call to the accountants.

I go back to my point, that this could have all been handled quickly and rather quietly. Somebody wanted the publicity. Who that person is, I dunno.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I'll just drop this here:

"There are a lot of not just unusual, but shocking and maybe never before seen things [in the Tuohys' actions], for even attorneys experienced in this area," said Victoria Haneman, a professor of trusts and estates at the Creighton University School of Law.
The Tuohys said they set up the conservatorship to help Oher with health insurance, a driver's license and being admitted to college.
"At the end of the day, you do not put an adult in a conservatorship because they need help with a driver's license or college applications," Haneman said.
The Tuohys didn't instead adopt Oher because the conservatorship was the fastest way to satisfy the NCAA's concerns that the Tuohys weren't simply steering a talented athlete to Ole Miss, lawyer Randall Fishman said.
"There was one thing to accomplish, and that was to make him part of the family, so that the NCAA would be satisfied because Sean would have been a booster of the university," Fishman said.
"I am frankly floored that any judge allowed them to use the conservatorship in this way, you know, with the purpose of circumventing NCAA rules," Haneman, the Creighton professor said.
"There's no really clear answer as to what the legal obstacle was for them [the Tuohys] to complete the adoption," Haneman said. "They did say (Wednesday) that it was a timing issue, but that timing issue would not have prevented them from completing the adoption while he was at Ole Miss."

Also conservatorship does not make one part of family. And it is not retroactive. This raises major issues as to why the NCAA permitted conservatorship after-the-fact to excuse and coverup recruiting violations. And also whether this "fix" was negotiated in advance of the conservatorship by the Tuohys or someone acting officially or unofficially on behalf of the Tuohys and/or Ole Miss.

Moreover, it raises questions about the judge and the allegiances and connects of the judge who approved the conservatorship.

The article ends with clearly Tuohy-friendly distractions about movie profits and Hollywood and whatnot.

This is the first evidence I have seen that someone in the media is noticing the actual issues in the Tuohys-Oher case. I just saw it but it was published yesterday.

I'll just drop this here:

Also conservatorship does not make one part of family. And it is not retroactive. This raises major issues as to why the NCAA permitted conservatorship after-the-fact to excuse and coverup recruiting violations. And also whether this "fix" was negotiated in advance of the conservatorship by the Tuohys or someone acting officially or unofficially on behalf of the Tuohys and/or Ole Miss.

Moreover, it raises questions about the judge and the allegiances and connects of the judge who approved the conservatorship.

The article ends with clearly Tuohy-friendly distractions about movie profits and Hollywood and whatnot.

This is the first evidence I have seen that someone in the media is noticing the actual issues in the Tuohys-Oher case. I just saw it but it was published yesterday.

But herein lies the problem. Everyone seems to be focusing on different things.

Quite frankly, the conservatorship vs adoption is somewhat immaterial in the grand scheme of things is it not? I see what happened or what was thought to happen as a personal issue between individuals. Who knows why things were done the way they were? Expediency, etc etc does it really matter in the end. Unless Oher can show that the way things were done has seriously impacted his long term earning potential, etc I kind of see all this as a tempest in a teapot.

If we are focusing on potential NCAA violations from 15 years ago, quite bluntly who gives a flip. Ole Miss was decent during the Oher years I believe, but not like they won a NC or anything even close.

Given what has gone down in the past decade with Freeze, etc can anyone dispute that the Rebels were an outlaw program during that time period. They won nothing of any consequence-no matter how dirty they were. Sometimes cheating and still failing miserably can be embarrassing and punishment enough lol. Trying to go back and apply NCAA punishments from 2005 would make about as much sense as giving UT a 5 year bowl ban starting in 2035 for what Pruitt did.

But herein lies the problem. Everyone seems to be focusing on different things.

Quite frankly, the conservatorship vs adoption is somewhat immaterial in the grand scheme of things is it not? I see what happened or what was thought to happen as a personal issue between individuals. Who knows why things were done the way they were? Expediency, etc etc does it really matter in the end. Unless Oher can show that the way things were done has seriously impacted his long term earning potential, etc I kind of see all this as a tempest in a teapot.

If we are focusing on potential NCAA violations from 15 years ago, quite bluntly who gives a flip. Ole Miss was decent during the Oher years I believe, but not like they won a NC or anything even close.

Given what has gone down in the past decade with Freeze, etc can anyone dispute that the Rebels were an outlaw program during that time period. They won nothing of any consequence-no matter how dirty they were. Sometimes cheating and still failing miserably can be embarrassing and punishment enough lol. Trying to go back and apply NCAA punishments from 2005 would make about as much sense as giving UT a 5 year bowl ban starting in 2035 for what Pruitt did.
For the most part, Ole Miss was atrocious during Michael Oher's college career. Those were the Ed Orgeron years, plus the 1st year of Houston Nutt.

2005 : 3-8
2006 : 4-8
2007 : 3-9
2008 : 9-4

That's 19-29 overall. Orgeron had recruited well enough that Nutt could win some games. They upset Florida in 2008.

Reactions: stolitonic
...Quite frankly, the conservatorship vs adoption is somewhat immaterial in the grand scheme of things is it not?....
The reason I cite is that it is at the root of the Tuohy's seemingly bizarre decision to stab Oher in the back by not adopting him and instituting a conservatorship that would not have been permitted in almost any court. And central to Oher's petition. I bet you never read the petition.

Would be interesting to find out who the judge was.

It is extremely pertinent to case. It is the very root. And it created the bizarre situation that the Tuohy's were legally obligated to represent Oher's interests in everything that followed. They were bound by law to immediately advise him that he had not been adopted and why the second they filed the conservatorship. They were legally obligated to represent Oher's interests in all arrangements that touched no his story in any way going forward.

The covering up the recruiting violation was motive, not a side issue, as the law professors I quoted clearly perceive. And it entails that the Tuohys public personas and businesses founded on "adoption" were all lies. It matters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nerwen Aldarion
For people siding without pertinent evidence with the team of Hugh Freeze, Ed Orgeron, and the blessed Tuohys, please find comfort in the fact that Rev. Freeze just came out hours ago with his personal good housekeeping seal of approval on the Tuohys' extremely questionable legal doings and recruiting practices.

Alas, Rev. Freeze does mention in passing that "I certainly don’t claim to understand ... adoption, conservatory, all of that." So his opinion is an impertinence and a suck up.

Freeze may be concerned lest he end up in hot water yet again.

Oher attended Briarcrest, a private school in Shelby County, Tennessee. Hugh Freeze, the head coach of Briarcrest from 1995 to 2004 was hired onto the Ole Miss staff as an assistant athletic director for football external affairs in 2005. He effectively brought Oher with him to Ole Miss in a deal that appears to have involved numerous glaring NCAA recruiting violations.

But even better, read #288 as many times as necessary to see what people who understand the legal system say about the situation.

He’s a college educated adult with massive financial resources, how could he not know, have figured it out or been told?
The Tuohys contrived a situation in which they themselves were legally responsible for explaining it to Oher, after they had crookedly and in their own interests reduced Oher to something of the status of a juvenile as pertains to his legal status.

Now, that the Tuohys let all of this go once Oher was in the league (except reportedly choosing Oher's agent for him) does not mean that what the Tuohy's did was not manifestly and grossly crooked. It means that the Tuohys' coverup of what they had done and why at that later time required that they do whatever they thought best to leave their crooked and heinous actions in the dark.

It also means that their carefully cultivated public person was and is a lie and the dedicated businesses and speaking engagements that profited from the lie were and are crooked.

Last edited:
The fact that people are stanning for the Tuohys and making claims that the facts of the matter that apply to the time period depicted in the movie, shows that they are prisoners of the Tuohys' lie and of Hollywood propaganda.

It's the truth especially as concerns that time period that they most want to ignore and distract from.

That it was all a lie is too much for these "realists" to stomach, apparently. It's in the interest of truth that the outcome here completrly "remake the movie" and the Tuohys be recognized as the crooked megaboosters, liars, and profiteers of their contrived lie that they are.

All donations from their fake non-profit "adoption" businesses and speaking engagements should be disgorged, for starters.

Are you sure that, without the influence of the Tuohy's, Michael Oher would have been equipped to control his own finances and legal affairs?

I'm not putting a stake in the ground and saying that the Tuohys in no way took advantage of Oher. Maybe they did. But even if they did, I'm still not convinced that he didn't wind up better for their influence.

Are you sure that, without the influence of the the Tuohys, he would have needed to protect his own finances? Would he even have legal affairs to worry about if they hadn’t gotten involved?

Normally I like your point of view (especially your CFB ranking system), but I hope you’re just playing devil’s advocate here. I grew up in a world populated with families like the Tuohys (débutante parties, boats, lakefront mansions, football games, etc) and there’s a reason I distanced myself from those people once I grew up and saw them for what they were. Usually people like that only get involved with someone else when they see a way to use that person to get something they want.

Not saying I know anything for sure but I would be absolutely shocked if the Tuohys were completely innocent in all of this. From the petition, it sounds like Michael finally figured out his conservatorship wasn’t the adoption he thought it was. The money seems secondary to him, but again, I don’t know. I’m only trying to read between the lines.

Last edited:
Are you sure that, without the influence of the the Tuohys, he would have needed to protect his own finances? Would he even have legal affairs to worry about if they hadn’t gotten involved?

I would say that most pro athletes need help with handling their legal and financial affairs. And not just pro athletes. Most people who become instant millionaires aren't immediately able to handle everything that comes with it. In Oher's case, did it absolutely have to be the Tuohys? Probably not. But I'll be honest and say that there was nothing in the complaint that brings me to the conclusion that they were acting against his best interests.

Normally I like your point of view (especially your CFB ranking system), but I hope you’re just playing devil’s advocate here.

Just calling it like I see it. I'm also willing to change my mind if new information requires it.

Usually people like that only get involved with someone else when they see a way to use that person to get something they want.

I agree. And I have no doubt that guiding Oher's athletic talents to Ole Miss was a major motivating factor for the Tuohys. But at this moment I'm not seeing where they had a significant financial incentive to screw Oher over.

Not saying I know anything for sure but I would be absolutely shocked if the Tuohys were completely innocent in all of this. From the petition, it sounds like Michael finally figured out his conservatorship wasn’t the adoption he thought it was.

I disagree. He made it clear in his 2011 book that it wasn't an adoption. And for further proof of his understanding, he notes the fact that his mother attended the conservatorship hearing. An adoptee doesn't typically bring his biological mother to a hearing that is designed to say "You're no longer my mother." An adoption legally ends that relationship while a conservatorship does not.

VN Store

Back