So the Tuohy's were phonies (Michael Oher)

Interesting story which alleges the Tuohy's never adopted Michael Oher and tricked him into being his conservator's. I know Michael wanted to come to UT and play for Fulmer, but felt a little pressure from the Tuohy's to attend their alma mater. Definitely tarnishes the feel good book and movie.

'Blind Side' subject Oher alleges adoption was lie

Rich people being assholes and only acting in a way to further enrich themselves?

mild-shock-shocked.gif

Hopefully for Michael's sake they have no say over his NFL earnings.

As with most things, the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I’m interested to see how things work out, he’s basically saying they conned him, and all money earned should be his even though he signed documents, because he didn’t know what he was signing

That's pretty low of them.

While I agree that the headlines lead one down that road, let's see how this plays out just a bit.

This is Ohers side. I'm sure the Tooheys will have theirs. Most likely neither party is going to come out of this smelling like a rose.

Whether they adopted him or not should be pretty easily determined lol.

Doubt that if it turns out that this has all been a huge charade, that Big Mikes hands are gonna be as clean as he is portraying them.

Sad situation all around, but would think that once Hollywood got involved, Brown/the Tooheys lost control of story. Wouldn't be the first time that what was intended to be a small human interest piece has spiraled into something which ironically more resembles the plot of a movie.

While I agree that the headlines lead one down that road, let's see how this plays out just a bit.

This is Ohers side. I'm sure the Tooheys will have theirs. Most likely neither party is going to come out of this smelling like a rose.

Whether they adopted him or not should be pretty easily determined lol.

Doubt that if it turns out that this has all been a huge charade, that Big Mikes hands are gonna be as clean as he is portraying them.

Sad situation all around, but would think that once Hollywood got involved, Brown/the Tooheys lost control of story. Wouldn't be the first time that what was intended to be a small human interest piece has spiraled into something which ironically more resembles the plot of a movie.
There's a big difference between a Hollywood movie based on the story being embellished (that's par for the course, and everybody knows that going in) and the core tenet of the story being a lie. Furthermore, if the part about it being a conservatorship is true, then it becomes a Britney Spears-type of story, except that as far as we know Michael was never mentally challenged so there are a ton of of questions about the conservatorship itself. If that is the case, then it would appear they did that purely as a way to keep money out of Michael's hands so it went to them. There's no way the Tuohys come out of this looking good.

As you said, whether they legally adopted him or not should be able to be determined in 60 seconds. I highly doubt Oher would allege that in a court petition if he and his lawyer weren't 100% sure that it was true.

They couldn't adopt him because he was 18. The only way he could go to Ole Miss without the NCAA saying Tuohy was a booster was for Michael to enter into the conservatorship. That made him a family member and satisfied the NCAA. As for the money, it does seem quite odd he never got a dime.

They couldn't adopt him because he was 18. The only way he could go to Ole Miss without the NCAA saying Tuohy was a booster was for Michael to enter into the conservatorship. That made him a family member and satisfied the NCAA. As for the money, it does seem quite odd he never got a dime.
It's my understanding the conservatorship did the opposite - he wasn't a family member. Adopting him would have made him a family member.

Also, under a conservatorship, it set up a situation where he didn't see a dime because he was in a legal arrangement where someone else handled all his financial affairs. No different than the one Britney Spears was controversially in for a long time.

There's a big difference between a Hollywood movie based on the story being embellished (that's par for the course, and everybody knows that going in) and the core tenet of the story being a lie. Furthermore, if the part about it being a conservatorship is true, then it becomes a Britney Spears-type of story, except that as far as we know Michael was never mentally challenged so there are a ton of of questions about the conservatorship itself. If that is the case, then it would appear they did that purely as a way to keep money out of Michael's hands so it went to them. There's no way the Tuohys come out of this looking good.

As you said, whether they legally adopted him or not should be able to be determined in 60 seconds. I highly doubt Oher would allege that in a court petition if he and his lawyer weren't 100% sure that it was true.

Yeah, like I said it's not going to look good for anyone involved in the story.

It's gonna be a soap opera, that's for sure though.

While Oher has always somewhat shied away from the story to a sense, would be hard to argue with a straight face that he has not benefitted. It's been a while, but I just don't remember his pro career really turning out to be much-at least in comparison to what was expected. Doubt he would have even gotten the second contract-with Tenn I think?-if not for his off the field stuff. B'more seemed liked they were happy to see him go.

Just really hope "Big Mike" hasn't gotten someone in his ear feeding him a bunch of "facts" which have a bunch of facets depending on the angle viewed. Wouldn't be the first time.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
It's my understanding the conservatorship did the opposite - he wasn't a family member. Adopting him would have made him a family member.

Also, under a conservatorship, it set up a situation where he didn't see a dime because he was in a legal arrangement where someone else handled all his financial affairs. No different than the one Britney Spears was controversially in for a long time.

No, it was the only way. But they should have released him after leaving Ole Miss, and they definitely should have seen that he got some proceeds from a film that was basically about his story.

Reactions: zjcvols
Yep. The fairy tale always seemed a bit too good to be true. If he in fact got no money from the movie and the Tuohys pocketed millions,well, that’s pretty low rent. Like the poster said earlier: Rich people acting in their own best interests and using people to get what they want. Stunning. Sounds pretty familiar to a number of folks in the news these days. Money does not equate to class.

I was a freshman living in Gibbs when Michael came through for an official visit. He was a really nice guy and loved everything about UT. When he signed with Ole Miss, I went and asked Coach Fulmer about it since Mike seemed really excited about signing with the Vols. Coach Fulmer told me something along the lines of, "a family in Memphis fake-adopted him and basically forced him to go to Oxford." None of this is very surprising.

I'm holding a wait and see approach on this. Why now?

He's been retired from the NFL for nearly a decade now.

I wonder if he's currently got the wrong people in his ear and he/they have already blown through his NFL bank account and is needing money.

From what I’ve read he only just found out the particulars of the conservatorship this February

Wrong, you absolutely can adopt a legal adult. In some ways it’s actually easier since the adult does not need to terminate parental rights of biological parents and the court can accept their consent easily.

I'm holding a wait and see approach on this. Why now?

He's been retired from the NFL for nearly a decade now.

I wonder if he's currently got the wrong people in his ear and he/they have already blown through his NFL bank account and is needing money.
Leaning that way. He’s always balked at the story the movie portrayed, but he never brought lawyers into until years after the NFL tap turned off.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
No offense, Stevie Wonder could see this ending coming...

This was always a business arrangement. Oher got out of one of the roughest ghettos in America and in return, the Ole Miss boosters (Tuohys) got the highest rated recruit from Memphis down to Ole Miss...

The business arrangement is over...

Wrong, you absolutely can adopt a legal adult. In some ways it’s actually easier since the adult does not need to terminate parental rights of biological parents and the court can accept their consent easily.

Was the law then or has it become the law more recently in light of the fact what apparently defines a "family" has changed considerably over the years. I don't know. I'm not a lawyer. That's just what they are saying were the conditions at the time. And frankly, I really don't care either way. Their family feud is non of my business.

The Tuohys always struck me as gold-plated phonies. The fact they are friends with the Rev. Hugh Freeze tells me a lot, too.

Is the complaint true? I have no idea. but I am in no way whatsoever shocked by the allegations.

VN Store

Back