So I talked to...

How many points did Syracuse hang on 'em in the first game???? T Martin WON that game with his legs....:salute:

And that McNabb guy--he wasn't bad, was he???

That Cuse game was fun to watch. That's where having an experienced OL came in handy!

How many points did Syracuse hang on 'em in the first game???? T Martin WON that game with his legs....:salute:

And that McNabb guy--he wasn't bad, was he???

I love #16 just like every other Vols fan, but IMO theres no way that #16 would have won the NC with that team. Tee's ablity to escape the pocket and use his legs was the key to the whole season. Tee was the major piece of the puzzle for our NC team.

Last edited:
I love #16 just like every other Vols fan, but IMO theres no way that #16 would have won the NC with that team. Tee's ablity to escape the pocket and use his legs was the key to the whole season. Tee was the major piece of the puzzle for our NC team.

Yes and no. The 98 defense played harder and better than any defense while Manning was QB.

The whole attitude "No stars" of the 98 team was a huge factor in their success.

Reactions: 3 people
That Cuse game was fun to watch. That's where having an experienced OL came in handy!
Never smelled like the inside of a beer bottle as much in my life and didn't have one beer. We got doused from the upper deck in the carrier dome. Cuse fans were hot that they lost.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes and no. The 98 defense played harder and better than any defense while Manning was QB.

The whole attitude "No stars" of the 98 team was a huge factor in their success.

Correct. Let's compare Peyton's senior stat sheet with Tee's junior year.

In 1997, Peyton led us to a SEC championship and was 287-477-11 for 3819 yds. and 36 tds.

In 1998, Tee was 153-267-6 for 2164 yds. and 19 tds. He ran for 287 yds. and seven touchdowns that year.

When you compare QB production from 1997 to 1998, you lose 1700 yds. and 17 tds. through the air. Tee didn't make up the difference with yardage he gained running.

What was the difference in terms of overall team performance? A strong running game that, in 1998, posted an SEC-best 211.3 ypg (most of which was provided by Travis Henry, Travis Stephens and Jamal Lewis) and a defense, led by the iron-willed Al Wilson, that gave up only 189 points (in 13 games), compared to the '97 team which yielded 286 points. Overall scoring for Tennessee was virtually identical, 431 points in '98, compared to 428 in '97. In short, a stout defense and hardnosed running game has always been and remains a winning formula in the SEC.

Reactions: 4 people
Correct. Let's compare Peyton's senior stat sheet with Tee's junior year.

In 1997, Peyton led us to a SEC championship and was 287-477-11 for 3819 yds. and 36 tds.

In 1998, Tee was 153-267-6 for 2164 yds. and 19 tds. He ran for 287 yds. and seven touchdowns that year.

When you compare QB production from 1997 to 1998, you lose 1700 yds. and 17 tds. through the air. Tee didn't make up the difference with yardage he gained running.

What was the difference in terms of overall team performance? A strong running game that, in 1998, posted an SEC-best 211.3 ypg (most of which was provided by Travis Henry, Travis Stephens and Jamal Lewis) and a defense, led by the iron-willed Al Wilson, that gave up only 189 points (in 13 games), compared to the '97 team which yielded 286 points. Overall scoring for Tennessee was virtually identical, 431 points in '98, compared to 428 in '97. In short, a stout defense and hardnosed running game has always been and remains a winning formula in the SEC.

And team 120 has both. We need some luck and some smart coaching.

Get that Natty.

No offense intended to anyone at all; but man I am getting burned out with talk about how great we are going to be. I want to SEE the games. Talk is such a poor substitute for the real event. But not much we can do about that.

I feel like the kid looking at all the packages under the Christmas tree, trying to picture what might be in them. But instead of the maybe 2 weeks that the kid has to wait, we still have 99 days to go :cray:

Reactions: 2 people
The hiring of Shoop is the most significant thing that CBJ has done, in my opinion, since he was hired. From everything that has been said, from many different sources, Shoop is a real difference maker. CBJ has the foundation set and is on a pathway for great success. Shoop will help get us there quicker.

Meh, he's no Sunseri

My heart lost about 5 yrs of life watching our 98 team play.

I was on active duty, stationed up in Virginia in '98, and didn't get to see many games on TV, or even get to hear them on the radio. I very clearly remember being glued to the phone in the 4th quarter of the Arkansas game, could just barely hear through the receiver of the phone: John Ward on my dad's radio in his garage, complete with my dad's running commentary.

It all looked so bleak right there at the end, right up to the forced fumble and our recovery. What a roller coaster of raw emotions!

Hoping 2016 is as magical as 1998 was...perhaps with a bit less strain on the heart. Heh.

Go Vols!

Reactions: 5 people
I read a lot of mythology on this board, but never seen anything like this "all or most DCs are failures as a head coach" nonsense.I just went down the list of
all D1 head coaches, and most are offensive guys, meaning those jobs mainly go to the guy promising to put points on the board and butts in the seats.

However, after a quick scan of all D1 coaches, these are HCs that have enjoyed a degree of success as the head man.

Gary Patterson
Bronco Mendenhall
Pat Narduzzi
Tuberville*
Dave Doeren
Charlie Strong
Lovie Smith*
Mark Dantonio
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Riley
Brian Kelly
Rich Rod
Todd Graham
Kyle Whittingham
Jim Mora
Gary Anderson
Todd Graham
Bielema
* Qualifiers

Now, I'm not going to entertain the typical "Awwww that guy sucks" argument because I said "some level of success," and they all have. So no, not "all
or most DCs" are failures as head coaches.

I read a lot of mythology on this board, but never seen anything like this "all or most DCs are failures as a head coach" nonsense.I just went down the list of
all D1 head coaches, and most are offensive guys, meaning those jobs mainly go to the guy promising to put points on the board and butts in the seats.

However, after a quick scan of all D1 coaches, these are HCs that have enjoyed a degree of success as the head man.

Gary Patterson
Bronco Mendenhall
Pat Narduzzi
Tuberville*
Dave Doeren
Charlie Strong
Lovie Smith*
Mark Dantonio
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Riley
Brian Kelly
Rich Rod
Todd Graham
Kyle Whittingham
Jim Mora
Gary Anderson
Todd Graham
Bielema
* Qualifiers

Now, I'm not going to entertain the typical "Awwww that guy sucks" argument because I said "some level of success," and they all have. So no, not "all

Isn't Rich Rod more of an offensive guy?

Gary Patterson
Bronco Mendenhall
Pat Narduzzi
Tuberville*
Dave Doeren
Charlie Strong
Lovie Smith*
Mark Dantonio
Pat Fitzgerald
Mike Riley
Brian Kelly
Rich Rod
Todd Graham
Kyle Whittingham
Jim Mora
Gary Anderson
Todd Graham
Bielema
* Qualifiers

Good list. Not knocking it all, I always thought Rich Rod as an offensive guy. You do have one glaring omission, Bob Stoops. The only D coordinator turned head coach that has won a title in the BCS/playoff era. I hope it stays that way.

Isn't Rich Rod more of an offensive guy?

He played DB in college and his first job at WVU was LB coach, somehow he transitioned over. You can take
him off the list if you want but its another example of a defensive guy that actually gets it. I thought he
was an offensive guy his whole career til I looked up his bio.

Good list. Not knocking it all, I always thought Rich Rod as an offensive guy. You do have one glaring omission, Bob Stoops. The only D coordinator turned head coach that has won a title in the BCS/playoff era. I hope it stays that way.

Thats only cause Stoops was held up as a primo example why this "No DC ever" talk is so silly.

Assuming 15 years is an arbitrary number I can name one DC who got his first head coaching job at a legacy program and has been highly successful......Bob Stoops. His 2nd year at OU he won a national championship and has won more conference championships than the rest of the league combined. He is the winningest coach in school history.

And still is not the best coach in school history. Switzer with more National Championships, more Conference titles, better winning percentage and he had only 4 of 16 seasons with more than 2 losses (never more than 4). In fact, 8 of his 16 seasons he had one loss or was undefeated. Stoops has 2 such seasons in 18 seasons.

I was on active duty, stationed up in Virginia in '98, and didn't get to see many games on TV, or even get to hear them on the radio. I very clearly remember being glued to the phone in the 4th quarter of the Arkansas game, could just barely hear through the receiver of the phone: John Ward on my dad's radio in his garage, complete with my dad's running commentary.

It all looked so bleak right there at the end, right up to the forced fumble and our recovery. What a roller coaster of raw emotions!

Hoping 2016 is as magical as 1998 was...perhaps with a bit less strain on the heart. Heh.

Go Vols!

Yeap LOL!

VN Store

Back