So I talked to...

Wonder why Shoop went with Franklin to Penn St since he didn't like him. Or what happened during their time at Penn St that caused the falling out.

Franklin consulted a former Penn State DC on shower etiquette.

One of the co founders of SportSource Analytics. He is my best friends cousin. For some of you who don't know what Sport Source Analytics do here is a quick run down...Stats company SportSource Analytics will inform College Football Playoff selection committee decisions

SportSource Analytics

Anyways we got to talking about many subjects of college football and the few I will share is about us (Tennessee) and other teams around the SEC and south.

To start Coach Jones and staff absolutely love these guys at SportSource and are using them a lot. So is Auburn, FSU, Clemson, GT, etc.

He told me how we got Shoop. To start Shoop hated James Franklin and wanted out of Penn State like you wouldn't believe. And his first interest was taking the DC position at Auburn when Muschamp bolted for USCe. Well the guys at SportSource told Jones you should look at Shoop who is a guru with numbers. They got in contact with Shoop and he loved the roster more at UT and Jones vision and attack. He mentioned that he saw and talked to Janciek at the airport after he got fired (yes fired not a mutual agreement) and he was PISSED and butthurt he was let go.

Also, when SportSouce visited Tenn they worked a lot with Shoop. Why? Because Shoop loves data and believes everything lies from within. Said he is the biggest statistics coach they've worked with yet and loves statistical data. He told me that Shoop even stumped them in there meeting with him. He said Shoop is a defensive guru and said we got a great one.

We got to talking about DC's going on to getting big head coaching gigs at major D1 programs and he said that he will predict Kirby Smart will have a worst record at UGA in his first 5 years than Richt's last 5 years. And he mentioned that if you look back at the last 15 years no DC that has never been a head coach that got one at a major D1 program has not been successful. So I started thinking and I could not recall one being successful. He said those guys need to start off at 2nd tier schools not major programs. So the gist is that Kirby won't be as successful as Richt. Just like Muschamp, Strong, Pelini, Hoke, etc.

He mentioned Jones is very thorough and is always finding an edge with the latest technology.

Anyways I thought I would share. Go Vols!
Great stuff op, and I think it was obvious shoop did not like jimmy ballpark Franks. Great stuff.

Comparable. Not better. In fact, we would hand them a butt kicking. It's Like comparing golden state to Chicago Bulls. Yes I believe the Bulls would dominate them. 😎.

Please internet Gods let Dobbs4Heisman respond to this.

Reactions: 3 people
This Team 120 is no where NEAR the '98 squad.

C'mon.

Ya'll are getting WAAAAAAY ahead of yourselves.

120's OL is a couple tiers below '98's.

No comparison to '98's secondary either.

NO "proven" go to WR like Peerless.

We CAN'T throw a deep ball for God's sake.

Again... C'mon.

Having said all that... They could prove me WRONG. And I hope like Hell they DO!!! GO VOLS!

Last edited:
Wonder why Shoop went with Franklin to Penn St since he didn't like him. Or what happened during their time at Penn St that caused the falling out.

I can only imagine that Franklin wanted to follow in Sandusky's footsteps and Shoop disagreed, rightfully so.

The 98 team had a much better OL, better DL, better linebackers, better WRs, more mental toughness, and they had Al Wilson. I'd say the edge at OL and Al Wilson are the biggest differences. Also, the 98 team could stretch the field much better. Unless this year's team can do that, they will struggle to win at the level that many of you are expecting.

Reactions: 5 people
This Team 120 is no where NEAR the '98 squad.

C'mon.

Ya'll are getting WAAAAAAY ahead of yourselves.

120's OL is a couple tiers below '98's.

No comparison to '98's secondary either.

NO "proven" go to WR like Peerless.

We CAN'T throw a deep ball for God's sake.

Again... C'mon.

Having said all that... They could prove me WRONG. And I hope like Hell they DO!!! GO VOLS!

A lot of people forget how "bad" Tee was in the beginning of the '98 season. UT was not a good offensive team early on.

They certainly got better as the season went along.

A lot of people forget how "bad" Tee was in the beginning of the '98 season. UT was not a good offensive team early on.

They certainly got better as the season went along.

He must've hit his stride against South Carolina, and set an NCAA recorder in the process going for 23 of 24 completions. That's really "bad".

We would have forced Dobbs to throw. Good luck with those defensive backs and linebackers.

Uh oh...be careful 34...not sure if you've watched enough football to say that. Didn't you know that Dobbs can knock the dust off a gnat's a$$ from 60 yds on a rope from one knee?

D4H can you please tell 34 how Dobbs would run and throw circles around the '98 defense?

Reactions: 1 person
He must've hit his stride against South Carolina, and set an NCAA recorder in the process going for 23 of 24 completions. That's really "bad".

What part of "beginning of the '98 season" are you having trouble grasping?

Go back and watch the early games. They weren't pretty. UT's D held it together while the O got on track.

Comparable. Not better. In fact, we would hand them a butt kicking. It's Like comparing golden state to Chicago Bulls. Yes I believe the Bulls would dominate them. ��.

No doubt about it!

Al Wilson vs. Jalen Hurd...what a collision...
Cosey Coleman vs. Mckenzie or Tuttle...

would be worth the price of admission...

'98 guys better no doubt....'98 team ran against everyone...and would put up over 250-300 yds against team 120's D...

What part of "beginning of the '98 season" are you having trouble grasping?

Go back and watch the early games. They weren't pretty. UT's D held it together while the O got on track.

How many points did Syracuse hang on 'em in the first game???? T Martin WON that game with his legs....:salute:

And that McNabb guy--he wasn't bad, was he???

Reactions: 3 people
The hiring of Shoop is the most significant thing that CBJ has done, in my opinion, since he was hired. From everything that has been said, from many different sources, Shoop is a real difference maker. CBJ has the foundation set and is on a pathway for great success. Shoop will help get us there quicker.

The Shoop hiring should make the difference in the Florida game. Late in the 4th quarter, when we are slightly ahead and Florida has the ball and are trying to get that last score to get the win, a D.C. like Shoop should put us over the edge and deny Florida the field position to get that last field goal.

One of the co founders of SportSource Analytics. He is my best friends cousin. For some of you who don't know what Sport Source Analytics do here is a quick run down...Stats company SportSource Analytics will inform College Football Playoff selection committee decisions

SportSource Analytics

Anyways we got to talking about many subjects of college football and the few I will share is about us (Tennessee) and other teams around the SEC and south.

To start Coach Jones and staff absolutely love these guys at SportSource and are using them a lot. So is Auburn, FSU, Clemson, GT, etc.

He told me how we got Shoop. To start Shoop hated James Franklin and wanted out of Penn State like you wouldn't believe. And his first interest was taking the DC position at Auburn when Muschamp bolted for USCe. Well the guys at SportSource told Jones you should look at Shoop who is a guru with numbers. They got in contact with Shoop and he loved the roster more at UT and Jones vision and attack. He mentioned that he saw and talked to Janciek at the airport after he got fired (yes fired not a mutual agreement) and he was PISSED and butthurt he was let go.

Also, when SportSouce visited Tenn they worked a lot with Shoop. Why? Because Shoop loves data and believes everything lies from within. Said he is the biggest statistics coach they've worked with yet and loves statistical data. He told me that Shoop even stumped them in there meeting with him. He said Shoop is a defensive guru and said we got a great one.

We got to talking about DC's going on to getting big head coaching gigs at major D1 programs and he said that he will predict Kirby Smart will have a worst record at UGA in his first 5 years than Richt's last 5 years. And he mentioned that if you look back at the last 15 years no DC that has never been a head coach that got one at a major D1 program has not been successful. So I started thinking and I could not recall one being successful. He said those guys need to start off at 2nd tier schools not major programs. So the gist is that Kirby won't be as successful as Richt. Just like Muschamp, Strong, Pelini, Hoke, etc.

He mentioned Jones is very thorough and is always finding an edge with the latest technology.

Anyways I thought I would share. Go Vols!

Please post more

VN Store

Back