So, does MSU have a chance

Miss St needs to have one of those games where Vivians goes off from the three point line hits a few from 30 feet and make a 8 or 10 in the game. She has done it before and she also sometimes can't shoot a lick.

You have to get them in foul trouble (especially Williams or Collier) Geno doesn't trust Butler or Dangerfield for long stretches but seeing as though UConn will be the ones who get the calls it will never happen, I don't think it will be by 20 but I think they still lose by 10

You may not watch many UConn ganes. I watch every game I possibly can. Another one of UConn's numerous strengths is this team just doesn't foul much. Part of the player development program is to teach tight man to man and how to avoid fouling while doing it

Williams and Collier are the two prone to getting most fouls. Reason being they are both undersized. Williams is a 5'9" center who seems to out rebound everybody and frequently is coming from distance to do so When doing that her elevation trajectory often resulted a foul.

I continue to believe the way to beat UConn is to get the two post players in foul trouble early and watching the game from the bench. Points in paint and transition points both go down substantially because those two are involve on both those pieces of their point production.

They have 3 first team AA's but only two. Williams the most complete stat stuffer on the team only made the second team. Political decision.

Reactions: 3 people
UCLA men hold the record for most consecutive national championships at 7. If UCONN wins this year, that record has a good chance to be tied or beat.

Plenty of teams will have the talent, but not close to the coaching that UCONN has.

I wonder what a coach like Vic S. or Wes Moore(NC state) could do with a bunch of MC Donalds AA.

Reactions: 2 people
You may not watch many UConn ganes. I watch every game I possibly can. Another one of UConn's numerous strengths is this team just doesn't foul much. Part of the player development program is to teach tight man to man and how to avoid fouling while doing it

Williams and Collier are the two prone to getting most fouls. Reason being they are both undersized. Williams is a 5'9" center who seems to out rebound everybody and frequently is coming from distance to do so When doing that her elevation trajectory often resulted a foul.

I continue to believe the way to beat UConn is to get the two post players in foul trouble early and watching the game from the bench. Points in paint and transition points both go down substantially because those two are involve on both those pieces of their point production.

They have 3 first team AA's but only two. Williams the most complete stat stuffer on the team only made the second team. Political decision.

Yes I don't watch much of them but I have watched a lot of them this year (I really like Williams she's a baller). and that's why I say you have to try to get them in foul trouble.

Florida state had success with them in the early game they played during the season because their coach matched them up size wise and kept her slow bigs on the bench for stretches of the game and I think Vic should do the same.

Richarson can rebound and play good defense I would use her at the 5 most of the game(matched up against Gabby) she is 6'1" and is physical she can also get up and down the court quicker than McKowen and Okorie

I would match up Chapel with Collier as she can also rebound and get up and down the floor, she has to keep her off the boards and not be afraid to attack her (Collier at times can lapse defensively and Chapel has to take advantage of that)

I match Vivians up with Katie Lou and tell Vivians to come off screens and shoot until she can't shoot no more (Because believe Katie Lou is going to let it rip)

Williams has to get the best of Chong and Dangerfield (but most importantly she has to make her layups/shots) Jordin Canada was having her way blowing past UConn guards she just couldn't make the layups

Dilliangham just has to be a pest. She has to do her normal (flop/draw charges) but not just that she has to give them something offensively.

Mississippi State has to be able to score and score often and hardly any team has been able to do so. Vivians can score and score in bunches but Geno has always found a way to keep other teams star players from beating him. The other players have to step up big time if he does that.

Reactions: 1 person
I wonder what a coach like Vic S. or Wes Moore(NC state) could do with a bunch of MC Donalds AA.

A lot... I would think. I would love to see what Foster @ Chattanooga could do with some real talent. Give him that Florida job and let him grab a few of those in state recruits and go to work.

A lot... I would think. I would love to see what Foster @ Chattanooga could do with some real talent. Give him that Florida job and let him grab a few of those in state recruits and go to work.

Didn't we already see that at Ohio State?

Reactions: 5 people
As a Uconn fan, I do think Miss St has a decent chance - they beat Baylor who was the team everyone said could give Uconn a run, and they are quite similar to Baylor but with I think a better strategic coach. And Miss St has seen and been embarrassed by Uconn, so when the coaches talk about 'running to getting back on defense' and then show a little video from that 60 point thrashing to remind them what not doing so looks like, it will hit home. TX took a 50 point smack down in similar fashion and when they played Uconn the next year, they didn't win, but they looked like they belonged. And Karen is not as good a game coach or strategist as Vic is.
The only question in my mind is how the whole team handles the distractions of the FF week because it will all be new to them, whether they are satisfied with getting to the FF, and whether they are too proud of their Baylor win - on the two last points, again those selected bits of video will help deflate any swollen heads or satisfaction.

You have to get them in foul trouble (especially Williams or Collier) Geno doesn't trust Butler or Dangerfield for long stretches but seeing as though UConn will be the ones who get the calls it will never happen, I don't think it will be by 20 but I think they still lose by 10

Thus far in the tournament, UConn has been called for fewer fouls in each game, but except perhaps the 3rd round game against UCLA, the difference has been slight. The game with Oregon was particularly clean, with fewer than 20 calls total.

UConn has for a long time been called for fewer fouls. Is that the result of a decade long conspiracy of refs favoring the Huskies, or does it reflect the level of coaching? Seeing as none of Connecticut's opponents have complained about the reffering after they lose, I suspect it is the latter.

I've really enjoyed the discussion on this thread. Some great insight on strategies MIssissippi State needs to pull off the upset.

After watching them do a number on the Kimster & crew I thought this might be the team to take down UCon. Then I watched last night's game. . .

Oregon looked really good against some very good teams. They totally outworked MD in their victory.
But. . . say what you will, UCon is a machine. I don't think the Duckies have realized yet what hit them last night. The game was over before the 1st quarter ended.

I just don't know what kind of offense MSU can put out there to be effective. UCon's perimeter guarding really offsets whatever fallibility they have in height in the post. That seems funny now to even say as one of their forwards scored 26 pts.

So what offense works against them? They sure are going to score a lot of points from a lot of different players. How do you keep up with them?

The big thing is MSU needs to concentrate on playing UCONN and not the history of UCONN. That is easier said than done. Their mentality has to be, "We have nothing to lose." It is tough to play UCONN because Genno has that Belichick magic. He knows all the angles and even if you appear to have UCONN's number, he can solve the problem with in game changes. Vic knows defense and must figure out how to handle UCONN's inside and outside game. For MSU it will be a difficult responsibility. UCONN is short in size but they gange crash the boards. Size did not bother them against Oregon. We have to take into consideration that Oregon is a very young team. MSU, with its experience may be able to solve he UCONN puzzle.

Thus far in the tournament, UConn has been called for fewer fouls in each game, but except perhaps the 3rd round game against UCLA, the difference has been slight. The game with Oregon was particularly clean, with fewer than 20 calls total.

UConn has for a long time been called for fewer fouls. Is that the result of a decade long conspiracy of refs favoring the Huskies, or does it reflect the level of coaching? Seeing as none of Connecticut's opponents have complained about the reffering after they lose, I suspect it is the latter.

I've really enjoyed the discussion on this thread. Some great insight on strategies MIssissippi State needs to pull off the upset.

I would say some of its the ref but most is very disciplined basketball play and not making dumb fouls

A lot of it has to do with constant practice on defensive positioning and footwork. If you are moving your feet on defense you don't have to reach, you are keeping your balance and aren't lunging into a player. Most fouls are called on people using their arms and hands to swat at or impede a player. It is a serious emphasis in Uconn practices not to commit fouls and especially not silly or lazy ones even when players get tired from running for two hours in practice.
It is like the Patriots and fumbles which has nothing to do with air pressure and everything to do with players being benched if they cannot hold onto the ball.

keeps UConn under a 20 point win then that is a win. UCONN is a machine and with their recruiting class they will probably win 8-9 titles in a row and go to 200 wins in a row.

I would say some of its the ref but most is very disciplined basketball play and not making dumb fouls

that they play four home games before the final four. However, they could play on the moon and still win. Maybe one day the final four will be in CT and Geno could host 6 games in the tournament.

Only team that can beat UConn in the FF is Stanford... because Tara can outcoach Geno and has her team playing great team ball.

She is my National Coach of the Year because a lot of people had Stanford struggling to finish in the top 5 of the Pac 12.

I'm hoping for a Miss St. vs. SC title game.

I'm predicting a UConn championship though.

UConn beat Mississippi State last year in the tourney by...60 points, according to the article above. So, yea, mississippi state will be in this game for a full 5 minutes.

UConn beat Mississippi State last year in the tourney by...60 points, according to the article above. So, yea, mississippi state will be in this game for a full 5 minutes.

To be fair, MSST has pretty much the same team... UConn is obviously great again but had Stewart, Jefferson and Tuck last year.

UConn is much more prone to a monumental upset this year than they were last year.

Texas lost by 50 in the Sweet 16 two years ago to UConn. The next year they were able to keep the game within striking distance. I think some teams, like MSST, just need to have that one game against UConn to understand what they need to do to compete with them. MSST got better defensively and much better offensively.

I think UConn will win big... but I wouldn't be shocked if MSST is able to make a game out of it.

Ms state is not going to make a game out of it Geno is going to run circles around Vic ok williams will not get off like she did against baylor or us . It will be a blow out ppl/ Convo done.

and texas lost 72-54 this year to uconn that is not a good assessment. Well if you think still losing by 18 is kool then yea good game

keeps UConn under a 20 point win then that is a win. UCONN is a machine and with their recruiting class they will probably win 8-9 titles in a row and go to 200 wins in a row.

Well, surprisingly, Kara said 200 in a row was a real possibility. If they get their 12th NC they could certainly go two more undefeated as they get a lot stronger next year

VN Store

Back