Should we be SEC East favorites?

Should we be SEC East favorites in 2015?

• Total voters
Favorites just in the east? I don't know about you, but Tennessee is ny favorite team in the WORLD!
Sheesh.
Negavol.

Vol's were just one game over .500 in 2014 and are still building, so being picked to win the East this year, may be going too far, don't you think?

Vol's may indeed have the talent to win the East, however.

The sheer fact that the Vol's are in the conversation of winning the East is long overdue.
Go Vol's

No.

Expect a .500 record again per our leader.

“We’ve had two very, very solid, very good recruiting classes back to back, but we’re still not there yet from a competitive depth standpoint. We’re still a couple recruiting classes away.”

Head coach doesn't think we are at a competitive level, why should the fans?

Keep in mind, everything is based off potential. We have the potential to be very good. It will come down to dobbs passing the ball. If he can be above 60% we will have a good shot.

Agree except I think "how good" comes down to the one big unproven for Jones- game day coaching ability. So far, it has been mixed. USCe pretty good in two wins. UGA very good in two losses. UF and Mizzou bad in two losses. Vandy very bad in a win and a loss.

It is possible that they are just adjusting to a new level of coaching competition. We'll see.

No.

“We’ve had two very, very solid, very good recruiting classes back to back, but we’re still not there yet from a competitive depth standpoint. We’re still a couple recruiting classes away.”

Hopefully he's lowballing in public. VERY unlikely that's his message to the team.

Reactions: 1 person
Hopefully he's lowballing in public. VERY unlikely that's his message to the team.

Agree wholeheartedly. Ive coached every team my kids have ever played on. You never brag on the hand youre playing with in a poker game. You always instill belief in the team youre coaching that they can achieve anything within reach. CBJ Knows that we can win the east if we play to our full potential.

Reactions: 2 people
Agree wholeheartedly. Ive coached every team my kids have ever played on. You never brag on the hand youre playing with in a poker game. You always instill belief in the team youre coaching that they can achieve anything within reach. CBJ Knows that we can win the east if we play to our full potential.

Yeah. I don't think he "lies" but rather shifts the "who" of "competitive". He could probably say in full truth that UT is a class or two away from having the depth to compete for a playoff spot or perhaps to win the SEC. The East is within grasp in part due to UT's roster improvement and in part due to the power void in the East right now.

I think Tennessee can do it. I wouldn't make them the favorite. And I don't believe the defensive front 7 is where this board thinks it is yet. And the offensive line is still an issue

I believe UT could win the east but no, we will not be favored.
I read all the reasons given by the op but this is finally a discussion that will have conclusion. Fans can have their expectations but favored, that will be set by a more unbiased approach. The biggest influence being money (Vegas).

Anyone here can call others a "defeatist" for saying that Vegas and the majority of media will not favor UT, but most predictions are already in. UT is picked by a very small 'out of the box' minority. So after typing this, I'm not even sure what we are discussing. The answer is pretty much already in and no, we are not favored.

Not favored, but it's still possible. We will have to be knocked out of contention before I stop pulling for it to happen.

It is possible that they are just adjusting to a new level of coaching competition. We'll see.

It's tough to admit that, but I think it's only natural and somewhat a matter of trial and error. There are things that work at the mid major level that just don't in the SEC; especially anything that relies on speed.

It's tough to admit that, but I think it's only natural and somewhat a matter of trial and error. There are things that work at the mid major level that just don't in the SEC; especially anything that relies on speed.

Speed works in the SEC. I've seen SEC teams outrun our defenders the first two years. I saw OSU outrun Bama the whole game.

In my personal opinion speed is a huge factor in the sec, but once we get to the point we can run power with speed think OSU and auburn to some extent then we will be dominant

No.

It's called tamping down expectations because it's his butt on the line if they're not met. He's not the only one that can look at his roster, look at his talent and returning experienced players and compare it to the rest of the league. Anybody paying attention can. Nick Saban took over a mess at Alabama and in year 3 went 14-0 and won a National Championship. Is it too much to ask that Butch maybe go 9-3 and just compete for representing the SECe in the SECCG? After all, he has more returning starters than any other team in the East.

Last edited:
I believe UT could win the east but no, we will not be favored.
Did you read the question? The OP doesn't ask if UT "will" be favored but "should" UT be favored.

I think the object was to solicit the kinds of pluses and minuses we've had.

I read all the reasons given by the op but this is finally a discussion that will have conclusion. Fans can have their expectations but favored, that will be set by a more unbiased approach. The biggest influence being money (Vegas).
Vegas isn't unbiased. Bias is mitigated by the number of people placing bets and trying to make money but there is bias.

But again, the OP didn't ask if UT "would" be favored.

Anyone here can call others a "defeatist" for saying that Vegas and the majority of media will not favor UT, but most predictions are already in.
Really? Most are already in? So lines and predictions are set in stone and won't be modified as the seasons approaches?

But for the good of us all do you have a listing of the expert predictions and lines or can you point us to them?

UT is picked by a very small 'out of the box' minority. So after typing this, I'm not even sure what we are discussing. The answer is pretty much already in and no, we are not favored.
You could have saved yourself some trouble by actually reading the question... of course not actually reading what others write here before jumping on them with both feet seems to be a recurring theme for you.

^^^^^^^^^
giphy.gif

Simply no we shouldn't be. Georgia should be favored. Even though I believe we return more starters SJT correct me if I'm wrong I think georgia has more experience over all, as in combined number of games played. Plus we've managed to lose close games to them the past couple of years. They do have a big question at qb and a new o.c. so that could skew things a little.

Simply no we shouldn't be. Georgia should be favored. Even though I believe we return more starters SJT correct me if I'm wrong I think georgia has more experience over all, as in combined number of games played.
I'm not sure. I haven't found a good way to get at that. Someone else posted recently that UT returns the most starts in the East but I don't know for sure.

IMHO, two of the "big 3" in the East are back in place with UF sure to get back into it within a year or two. The losers in all this are Mizzou and USCe who have benefited from UF and UT slumping at the same time.

The reason I would differ with you on UGA is that they play both Auburn and Bama. I think Auburn is the team to beat in the West this year rather than Bama. Arkansas won't be a push over but I'd rather have them than Auburn. UGA probably has to run the East to win it... and they play at UT.

Plus we've managed to lose close games to them the past couple of years. They do have a big question at qb and a new o.c. so that could skew things a little.
Both games were closer than the talent says they should have been. The Vols may not be on a completely level plain with UGA but its much closer than it was.

Someone in recent years tried to establish the worth of having a returning QB. IIRC, it was somewhat significant. That's another thing that hurts UGA.

I'm not saying you are wrong so much as pointing out that there are negatives to picking UGA too. The East is wide open and UT is positioned well.

Did you read the question? The OP doesn't ask if UT "will" be favored but "should" UT be favored.

I think the object was to solicit the kinds of pluses and minuses we've had.

Vegas isn't unbiased. Bias is mitigated by the number of people placing bets and trying to make money but there is bias.

But again, the OP didn't ask if UT "would" be favored.

Really? Most are already in? So lines and predictions are set in stone and won't be modified as the seasons approaches?

But for the good of us all do you have a listing of the expert predictions and lines or can you point us to them?

You could have saved yourself some trouble by actually reading the question... of course not actually reading what others write here before jumping on them with both feet seems to be a recurring theme for you.

Well, you are annoying. Vegas and legit media (that excludes BR)wish to be correct. They don't just throw things out. And they are a lot better at it than you. If they say we shouldn't be favorites, they have done so with great consideration of the facts at hand and I agree with them.

What do you think is going to change with our team in practice with so many not even participating?
Did you say if we should or shouldn't or did you just yap, yap, yap again?

Edit: I noticed in your next response that you pointed out to someone that the numbers still have us slightly behind UGA. I assume these are DAJs numbers that we both believe to paint a fairly accurate picture? If so, even though it is only a slight disadvantage and one we could overcome, it would be "overcoming" - meaning - no we shouldn't be favored. Of course you already know this, you are just much more interested in throwing insults than having an actual point.

Last edited:
No.

I think he's talking about titles past that. One can back into winning the poor east. Winning the SECCG is another level.

VN Store

Back