Should Vic be blamed

Dawn inherited a terrible program with no following. The first year (2009) she went 10-18. She improved her win total every year (14,18,25) and Wilson did not come along until 2014 the year after we went to the sweet sixteen. She did it without any McDonald's All-Americans. Vic pretty much followed her blueprint and now they are both elite coaches, coaching successful programs. Staley has changed lineups because of injuries the last two years and still won. Wilson could probably take any program to a higher level but you have to give Dawn her dues. The girl can coach....

Ms. Staley has had All Americans and top recruits as well as convincing top players from other schools to quit and be on her team. She does whatever it takes, it seems.

If you wanna praise Ms.Staley, perhaps you should consider Cocky Talk.

Reactions: 4 people
There is also the difference in the type of shots taken by these teams. Vic has groomed a multifaceted squad. He, unlike Holly, hasn’t made statements in the past re: not caring if his team ever makes a 3-pointer. Nor has he stated publicly comments about getting the ball to The post as his offensive mantra and then berated the players for not doing so. There is a pretty intense presence on the inside for SC. His teams have been groomed to have variety on offense. His daughter in particular and others of MS are usually lethal from the 3-point line. So castigating a coach when an entire team misses a lot of shots from all over the court when they are as good as they usually are vs. pointing to Holly when her team misses a bunch of contested paint shots after she has forced them to all season “get the ball to the paint”. It absolutely does place blame on Holly.

Now to rant: These kids are recruited, except very rare instances, for their offensive prowess. We wonder why the wheels fall off. After being told constantly that these are bad shots/contrary to good basketball theory, it is not surprising they begin to miss shots that they were quite comfortable taking before.

So in this instance of one game comparisons, yes, we can blame Holly while giving Vic a pass.

Nope. You had a couple of excellent thoughts, but disagree that what you said made a distinction between the two. Our problem on offense wasn't contested paint shots, it was going too fast as to miss even wide open layups.

Reactions: 3 people
While Tenn will have the edge in Talent per McDAA, SC will have more experince. All 5 of SC's starters next year will be either Seniors or Juniors, while Tenn (with the exception of Jackson and Green) will be mostly underclassmen. Having that seniority and leadership is huge especially playing in the SEC.

Posters don’t take that into consideration here Spur, it’s all about how many HIGH SCHOOL McDonald’s All-American players you have on your roster that decides whether you should win a game at the COLLEGE level.

MSU lost to the same team the Lady Vols did on Friday night. Yesterday, MSU missed the same exact type shots Lady Vols missed in Friday’s game. Why isn’t that Schaefer’s fault if the LV’s missed shots are Holly’s fault?

By the way, it’s “lose,” not “loose.” Teams don’t “loose” games, they “lose” them.

When I signed up over here a few years back I thought it was a LADY VOL FAN SITE. Not so much anymore.

Reactions: 5 people
Holly has to adapt her strategy to the players she has, to the strengths they have. If you don't have an aggressive, dominant post, throwing it into the middle won't work,especially if you have limited outside shooting. Period.

Watched most of the SEC Championship game with sound muted. I did not want to hear more love fest for Wilson. As the game went on,and MSU couldn't hit lay ups or open jump shots or three pointers,I couldn't help wondering if Vic would catch the vitriol for his team's ineptness like Holly did on Friday. He has seemed to be the epitome of the coach that many on Volnation would want coaching the Lady Vols. How about it,posters? Does he get the blame for his team's performance as Holly did? This is a question concerning only one game,not their bodies of work over the last few years.
Sometimes teams have games where they can't throw a ball into the ocean,and SC ran into two of them this tourney.
I think a coaching change is warranted for the Lady Vols,but some of the results on the floor do not give the players a pass.

YOU are comparing apples to oranges

Ms. Staley has had All Americans and top recruits as well as convincing top players from other schools to quit and be on her team. She does whatever it takes, it seems.

If you wanna praise Ms.Staley, perhaps you should consider Cocky Talk.

First off...you can't talk to players on other teams about anything...much less convince them to quit their schools. If you are too insecure to engage in a conversation that doesn't fit your particular narrative then just move on to the next post....it's really that simple. She didn't build the program with All Americans as you suggest. I would think you may have done some research before just posting something that is not true....I have also been a member here 8 years longer than you. You will never see me trash the Lady Vols but I will call out an out and out BS statement when I see one.

While Tenn will have the edge in Talent per McDAA, SC will have more experince. All 5 of SC's starters next year will be either Seniors or Juniors, while Tenn (with the exception of Jackson and Green) will be mostly underclassmen. Having that seniority and leadership is huge especially playing in the SEC.

If we can find a defender in the post we'll definitely be a better team next season. Russell could score in most of the games she could never defend anybody and her defense will not be missed even if we had a statue manning her position.
Jaime had a lot of impressive games but she was not consistent and never has been in her four year career. She is either everything in a game or just average or below.
If any of the freshmen can be consistent scorers we'll be better at that position as well.

Not saying we'll be better just that the opportunity is there if all the returnees improve and freshmen like Green and Collins can help immediately.

First off...you can't talk to players on other teams about anything...much less convince them to quit their schools. If you are too insecure to engage in a conversation that doesn't fit your particular narrative then just move on to the next post....it's really that simple. She didn't build the program with All Americans as you suggest. I would think you may have done some research before just posting something that is not true....I have also been a member here 8 years longer than you. You will never see me trash the Lady Vols but I will call out an out and out BS statement when I see one.

Just because you signed up doesn't really mean anything, but hey congrats on your long-term silence, Daddy.

You've made 114 contributions in all those years. Wow. I bow to your knowledge and powers of restraint.

Your particular narrative is also quite clear.

Yes, I'm aware that is technically illegal to contact players at other schools. But NEWSFLASH, it's done.

Brenda @ MD is known to have convinced Gatewood to transfer and attempted at least twice to get Candace to transfer.

And Dawn has done it, as I was told by a player parent. Dawn tried to convince a LV signed & enrolled player to transfer to SC.

Do you think 3 Top 10 All Americans just happened to matriculate at SC for a year?

While I have appreciated that you don't run down our coaches, you make Dawn sound like the 2nd coming of Christ. She has top players. It's not like she coached up some scrubs into a national championship.

Go Lady Vols!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Just because you signed up doesn't really mean anything, but hey congrats on your long-term silence, Daddy.

You've made 114 contributions in all those years. Wow. I bow to your knowledge and powers of restraint.

Your particular narrative is also quite clear.

Yes, I'm aware that is technically illegal to contact players at other schools. But NEWSFLASH, it's done.

Brenda @ MD is known to have convinced Gatewood to transfer and attempted at least twice to get Candace to transfer.

And Dawn has done it, as I was told by a player parent. Dawn tried to convince a LV signed & enrolled player to transfer to SC.

Do you think 3 Top 10 All Americans just happened to matriculate at SC for a year?

While I have appreciated that you don't run down our coaches, you make Dawn sound like the 2nd coming of Christ. She has top players. It's not like she coached up some scrubs into a national championship.

Go Lady Vols!
I come here so I can give my sister a hard time. I am a South Carolina grad and she is a Tennessee grad. If not for that I would have no reason to come here....and I don't very often....and I defended Dawn and nothing more. She is a damn good coach. The players parent should have turned her in...but we both know that statement from you is BS.

Last edited:
I come here so I can give my sister a hard time. I am a South Carolina grad and she is a Tennessee grad. If not for that I would have no reason to come here....and I don't very often....and I defended Dawn and nothing more. She is a damn good coach. The players parent should have turned her in...but we both know that statement from you is BS.

Get real. If you believe what your spouting then your head has been buried in the sand way too long

Reactions: 1 person
I think next year will be a good gauge for just how good a coach Holly and Dawn are. Even though they lose gamechangers, they both will have some good talent on their roster (Tennessee has the clear edge here). If Dawn comes out ahead in the SEC, then well...

What BLIND fan needs to see Holly coach another second to realize she isn't a good enough coach for our Lady Vols.

VN Store

Back