Should Tim Banks be replaced at end of season?

Everything was genuinely an attempt to start a fact based discussion and see where it goes. No other agenda. Unfortunately, far too many people respond almost violently. Churlish and puerile. That's a huge problem caused by the anonymity on here.
Your thread doesn’t get started if you verified your identity. Don’t be a hypocrite.

You can always second guess every coach in every game. If Banks loads the box and they beat us deep he shouldn’t have done it, if he sticks to bend but don't break then he should blitz. At the end of the day Banks dialed up timely blitzes and in my opinion has done a great job considering the players he has to work with especially linebacker.

Great post

I suppose those are the issues i wanted to see laid out. What's your take on them?
There’s no issues. We’re bringing everybody back that are willing. 1 season isn’t a body of work and you grade progress along with increased experience and talent. Time for conversation is afterwards.

No. The defense has been an unexpected bright spot to what could have been a disaster. I know Henry TooToo is not a favorite player to many here these days. I mention him ONLY for this reason. Henry's freshman year he dropped with regularity the UK RB Rodriguez one on one. We do not have a LB on the UT roster this year that has the talent of HT.Talent is what God gives you, we have talented LBs none on HT's level. Evidence supporting this was watching Rodriguez running over around and through our entire defense for positive yardage all night. Banks did a superior job with the effective stunts and bltizes at the end of the game that was a major factor in sealing our win. If they can recruit highly talented players and he sticks around he could end up producing a super defense someday. He's not an issue for now in my book.

Reactions: volinthenorth
There’s no issues. We’re bringing everybody back that are willing. 1 season isn’t a body of work and you grade progress along with increased experience and talent. Time for conversation is afterwards.

That's a great answer. It took a lot of posts to get there!

No hypocrisy. I didnt say anonymity is bad. It's necessary. But it can be misused and lead to harm. Opiates would be an analogy here.
You made it sound like everybody else is copping out under that veil. So are you. Pretty sure Inthenorth isn’t on your birth certificate. Bringing up opiates is a very RANDOM analogy…or is it? 😏

Well, i brought my basketball to the blacktop tonight and managed to get an intellectual pickup game going in this thread. Some great plays and some personal fouls. Now i'm tired, so goodnight VN. Great win tonight, one to savor!!!

You made it sound like everybody else is copping out under that veil. So are you. Pretty sure Inthenorth isn’t on your birth certificate. Bringing up opiates is a very RANDOM analogy…or is it? 😏

Butchna, i have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Goodnight!

No. UT needs better players on D.

I will say again that I think it is a mistake to keep dropping 8 or going into zone on 3rd and long. Just blitz and stunt and accept the big plays if they come. This D does well when they play aggressive. They're awful trying to play "catch".... bend don't break.
I agree with this wholeheartedly. These defensive players are better when they are attacking forward rather than dropping back. I kept waiting for an adjustment to the side of more aggression and it never really came.

I feel like with our style of offense, a defense that emphasized pressure and leveraging turnovers/ negative plays would cover up our lack of depth. Bama, Ole Miss, UF, UK, and probably UGA this week are just wearing us out with methodical drives. Blitz their asses.... maybe you give up a big play, but you have been giving up scoring drives anyway. Maybe you turn them over a couple more times.

Why keep Tim Banks?

The fact that you ask this question shows your lack of understanding. You obviously do not understand what Tom Banks inherited and how limited we are on defense. You don’t understand how incredibly bad we are at LB and safety. That falls on Pruitt and his staff. What Banks has been able to do with this unit has been nothing short of amazing.

Could he do better? Of course. We all know this. But most who have even an elementary understanding of the state of this program know that firing Tim Banks is nowhere near the right answer. He has to be given time. Yes the UK game was bad. But these games happen. Until we get some better players that specifically fit this defense, it’s going to be rough. Our offensive style needs a specific style of defense to be successful.

Also, we don’t necessarily need an elite defense. Revisit your question in 3 years.

I watched the game on my iPad while out of the country. When I get home, I will watch it on the tv and hopefully be able to see the game better. I think we should have pressured the QB more, but blitzing takes a lot of energy and creates potential mismatches in the defensive backfield. I did not like the defense on the 4th and 24 (or whatever it was) with rushing only 3. I heard in the postgame that the team did not execute the called defense, so I don’t know what the mistake was. If you bring a little more pressure, you should force a quicker throw and then you have to tackle. The biggest defensive issues tonight were a failure to tackle and a failure to drive through the tackle. We rarely pushed the runners back as they consistently garnered yards after the first contact. Our guys looked to be trying to strip the ball or deliver hard hits without actually wrapping up. That needs to be addressed and was a little better at times in the 2nd half.

We continue to be severely limited by our roster. Overall this year, I think Coach Banks has done a good job with the defense considering the roster and style of offense we run. Give him time to recruit some guys and our defensive results will continue to get better. Off-season conditioning will look different this year as the current guys understand what it takes for a defense to play 90+ snaps a games.

OP, you're right in that people have responded really harshly and unnecessarily. I'm sorry for that.

In some regards, yeah, our defense hasn't looked great. We've given up some big plays and failed to get off the field on 3rd downs. These time of possessions are sometimes because of our "quick" offense, but the defense could definitely do more to help themselves.

What I'm choosing to see this year: A team who is really thin at almost every position, and yet is able to still make the plays and finish after 99 plays. A team who, for the most part, is wrapping up and not missing many tackles (a point of frequent frustration the past few years). A team who seems to be in position most plays, and has a good idea where the ball is going. A team who is consistently getting in the backfield and getting TFL's. A team who is just going to get tired in some ways, and plays a style of defense that accounts for that. You can't afford to be super aggressive and press for 99 plays. Sometimes you do have to play more of a sit back and bend don't break style if you know you're going to be on the field for a long time.

I feel for Banks this year. He hasn't had much to work with in terms of pure numbers, and yet, our defense has probably been on the field more than any other defense in college football, and is finding a way to pull it out.

Statistically, we are a terrible defense. But, IMO, it's not about the stats. It's about getting the job done when it matters. And this team has shown that they can do that so far.

I am sure that as we get new classes and transfers in, that we will see a lot of these things improve. But I'm very pleased with what I've seen on the field so far.

Id like to start a discussion within the discussion. I see two possible scenarios here. Much like the OP, I’d like to strongly encourage the debate. Anyway, the two possibilities are as follows:

1) The OP is absolutely a troll. I am fairly confident that no mentally and socially competent person could be so condescending and pseudo-intellectual while having such little self awareness as to not grasp how dumb this thread is.

You aren’t advocating for upgrading the DC? Yet you felt the need to start a thread on exactly that. You just want to feel out volnation’s opinion on it? Lots of frustration, but most people are happy with whats been accomplished.

With a record like 5-4, why don't you start a thread about upgrading the HC just to get a discussion started? That would be a stupid thread since its only 3/4s into his first season. That would be a stupid topic, as is this one.

2) You aren’t a troll and you really are being genuine. If thats the case then good Lord, take off the fedora, stop flaunting that vocabulary that you got from thesaurus.com to make you sound oh so intellectual, and stop whining about people being aggressive toward you as you sling lame insults yourself.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
Yes, I know, my VN friends: (1) "We just won a big game, why go negative?" (I'm not being negative, this is just a question in direct response to our objectively bad defensive play) (2) "The D just had a huge TOP discrepancy, they were gassed!" (Agreed, but were they partly gassed because our coaching scheme didn't get them off the field?) (3) "We are low on scholarships and bodies who can play!" Yes, again, I know all that. My question (and it's just a question, not a call for a march on the athletic facility with torches or for a nocturnal visit to the rock with spray paint) is this: DOES TIM BANKS's DEFENSIVE SCHEME HOLD US BACK? Are we going to be able get to the next level with this lack of pressure from our 3 man rushes and infrequent blitzing or stunting, combined with a soft zone in the second and third levels? This impotent combo seems to give the opposing QB that extra second to find the receiver who turns and sits down in a hole in the secondary or breaks into a gap between our flat-footed DBs. So do we stick with our guy and hit the portal for better players? Or do we find a coach with a better scheme (and still hit that portal)?

Got a DC who has our guys getting off the ground every time they are knocked down., but;
I can't get no satisfaction. I can't get no satisfaction.
Got a DC scheming with a grossly undermanned unit playing above their level, but;
I can't get no, I can't get no -satisfaction!
Got a DC who week after week, has his depleted unit scared of nobody and showing why, but;
I can't get no, Oh no no no, Hey hey hey! That's what I say. I can't get no satisfaction.
I got no appreciation for what that DC has managed to do with nearly nothing to do it with so;
So I find fault, I whine, I ignore reality, and because I refuse to have any appreciation of the defense's better play;
I still just, I just can't get no, I just can't get no satisfaction.
Oh, I say I love the orange and the white;
And the Vols Nation, but I can't get it right.
Cause I can't get no satisfaction. I can't get no satisfaction.

And you can bank on that. Oh yeah!

1636278718218.png

Reactions: tbones0711
I was so pissed on that stupid defensive call on 4th and 24 that I wanted him fired immediately but of course that’s ridiculous. I was just mad because it was a dumb call and you could see it coming a mile away. He’s done well this year. Very well actually. I’ve been pleased by the offense but truly shocked by our defense prior to tonight. Rough game tonight but it happens and we still found a way to win.
Same here...the non ability to stop 3/4 and forever constantly, said fire him in the heat of the moment, it gets to us all but at the same time there's some things that Banks needs to fix even being short of men, we shouldn't constantly keep getting beat on 3/4 for long yardages. This Vols team plays hard for their coaches...hoping we recruit well and pick up some bigger guys in the off season.

VN Store

Back