Shockers

Saint Louis, will be a higher RPI at the end of the year than UT. (they already are, btw)

Indiana State, and BYU could have a higher RPI at the end of the season.

ugh, I guess you have a point. But if UT comes to play from the tip, higher rpi or not those schools won't have a better team. IMO

SJA, then how do you measure what you're trying to measure? Opinion? RPI has flaws, but it's still an easy measurement that still works, and the NCAA utilizes parts of it to decide seeding and selection.

Also, currently, Wichita State's SOS is 81st in the country. UT's is 206. So tell me how we don't play anyone? It seems like our Non con is superior, but your conference play elevates your SOS at the end of the season. We aren't as blessed to play in a power conference. So I think we still did decently on scheduling considering we had 2 teams on our schedule back out of it with a month to go before the season started.

SJA, then how do you measure what you're trying to measure? Opinion? RPI has flaws, but it's still an easy measurement that still works, and the NCAA utilizes parts of it to decide seeding and selection.

Also, currently, Wichita State's SOS is 81st in the country. UT's is 206. So tell me how we don't play anyone? It seems like our Non con is superior, but your conference play elevates your SOS at the end of the season. We aren't as blessed to play in a power conference. So I think we still did decently on scheduling considering we had 2 teams on our schedule back out of it with a month to go before the season started.

Lately we aren't either. lol :)

ugh, I guess you have a point. But if UT comes to play from the tip, higher rpi or not those schools won't have a better team. IMO

Oh I wasn't discrediting UT's ability to play top notch basketball, and on any given night, UT could knock off anyone in the nation. However, I just felt it was a bit unrealistic to say that UT will for certain be the best team on WSU's schedule. Do I think there is a possibility they could be by the end of the season? Certainly. Right now, especially based on what I read on here, you guys aren't playing top notch basketball, and maybe not even average basketball at times. That's definitely one of the main reasons why I jumped at that comment that UT will be the best team on WSU's schedule.

As a Shocker alum and fan, WSU's success is tied with UT's, just not at the expense of a WSU loss tomorrow. Once that game is over, and even prior to that game, WSU fans have been cheering UT on, it helps our RPI. After the game it's the same, we will hope you guys run the table.

I'm just lucky enough I get to have my two teams play each other, it's really nice to see that all happen. I was a college student at WSU during our Sweet 16 match up back in 06, many fond memories of WSU v UT, and I'd really love for it to continue. I think it benefits both programs.

Last edited:
Oh I wasn't discrediting UT's ability to play top notch basketball, and on any given night, UT could knock off anyone in the nation. However, I just felt it was a bit unrealistic to say that UT will for certain be the best team on WSU's schedule. Do I think there is a possibility they could be by the end of the season? Certainly. Right now, especially based on what I read on here, you guys aren't playing top notch basketball, and maybe not even average basketball at times. That's definitely one of the main reasons why I jumped at that comment that UT will be the best team on WSU's schedule.

As a Shocker alum and fan, UT's success is tied with WSU's, just not at the expense of a WSU loss tomorrow. Once that game is over, and even prior to that game, WSU fans have been cheering UT on, it helps our RPI. After the game it's the same, we will hope you guys run the table.

I'm just lucky enough I get to have my two teams play each other, it's really nice to see that all happen. I was a college student at WSU during our Sweet 16 match up back in 06, many fond memories of WSU v UT, and I'd really love for it to continue. I think it benefits both programs.

:thumbsup:

I think it will be a good game. It might not start till the 2nd half, but it should be entertaining. Good luck the rest of the way.

I'm just thinking talent wise we'll be probably the best team you'll face. RPI I agree we won't be the highest. We play in the second or third weakest of the power 6 conferences. I'm not discrediting your schedule or anything by any means don't take it that way. I was strictly going off talent. I think we are better than the three you mentioned or right up there with them at least.

:thumbsup:

I think it will be a good game. It might not start till the 2nd half, but it should be entertaining. Good luck the rest of the way.

I really do agree with you on that! I think the deciding half will be the 2nd. WSU starts so slow, it's worrisome. We have played lights out all season in the 2nd half. So if UT comes to play and doesn't let us just boat race the Vols, it'll be a good game. If you guys let us get in rhythm like we do to start the 2nd, it could be a long 2nd half for you guys.

If your post comes to play, and ours doesn't step up to the challenge of being out matched in the post, WSU will have a long, long, long day.

You know I'll be cheering on the Vols the rest of the season, I just hope the rest of Volnation will do the same for the Shox.

Thanks for the chat and kind words, Left.

I'm just thinking talent wise we'll be probably the best team you'll face. RPI I agree we won't be the highest. We play in the second or third weakest of the power 6 conferences. I'm not discrediting your schedule or anything by any means don't take it that way. I was strictly going off talent. I think we are better than the three you mentioned or right up there with them at least.

So what do you think the issue is with UT? Because if you think the talent level is there (which I do too) why do you think this team isn't at the level you want them to be? Coaching? Bad breaks? Just how the cookie crumbles?

From reading this board, I get the impression that nearly everyone in Tennessee hates CCM. I know he isn't the best in front of the camera, but I always felt like his teams competed. I do feel like he's underachieved at UT, and I'm not too sure why.

So what do you think the issue is with UT? Because if you think the talent level is there (which I do too) why do you think this team isn't at the level you want them to be? Coaching? Bad breaks? Just how the cookie crumbles?

From reading this board, I get the impression that nearly everyone in Tennessee hates CCM. I know he isn't the best in front of the camera, but I always felt like his teams competed. I do feel like he's underachieved at UT, and I'm not too sure why.

I support CCM but it's partly coaching and partly a team that isn't meshing together just yet. We are a team that is good at everything but not great at just one thing offensively. Defense isn't there. Year 1 he over achieved. Year 2 should have made it but missing your All-SEC first teamer doesn't help. Still should have made it. This year off to a mediocre start but you can't judge a season off 8 games.

Most people don't hate CCM don't let these fools behind the computer fool you. We want to win now and that's where the frustration with CCM comes from. He can win here. I think this year will prove if he can or not.

Reactions: 1 person
Right now were not that great. Maybe as the yr goes on they gel. They have been pretty brutal to watch so far. Just being honest man.

To be fair, they have been brutal for stretches. They have been brilliant for stretches too. Inconsistent from half to half is perhaps a better description than to just simply call them brutal to watch.

Last edited:

We haven't come out like gangbusters against some inferior competition, and the opening season loss to Xavier on the road left a lot of the vocal minority with a sour taste.

Most of the negative that you'll read here comes from the pro-Bruce Pearl crowd who didn't want to see him fired/want him back still. They don't seem to want Martin to succeed because with every loss, many foolishly believe they are one step closer to Pearl returning, and let's face it, Martin is the anti-Pearl in nearly every single way possible. Many of our fans miss Pearl's antics, showmanship, and promotion of all things "Tennessee", and it would be disinegenuous of me to say I didn't miss all his good aspects as well.

Point being, Cuonzo Martin will never be embraced by a faction of our fanbase because he isn't Bruce Pearl and hasn't enjoyed the same success Pearl did in his first two seasons. He has improved the roster in his 2+ seasons (though this is somewhat heavily debated as well), and this season and the next will be his judgement. If he fails to make the tourney this season, with this talent, then I feel next season will be his last, as the talent pool gets thinner and younger beyond this season.

JMO.

Reactions: 2 people

Who's in your Avi I can't figure it out

If he fails to make the tourney this season, with this talent, then I feel next season will be his last, as the talent pool gets thinner and younger beyond this season.

JMO.

This hasn't really been brought up, but I don't think you can dismiss the possibility of UT retaining Martin even if he misses the tourney again this season (like you're saying). I wouldn't agree with it though, unless we know Stokes is coming back, then maybe.

This hasn't really been brought up, but I don't think you can dismiss the possibility of UT retaining Martin even if he misses the tourney again this season (like you're saying). I wouldn't agree with it though, unless we know Stokes is coming back, then maybe.

Yes. I think they'd retain him simply for financial reasons, unless they (through back-channel connections) are 100% convinced that they can get a top-shelf coach with experience (perhaps a Gregg Marshall, Shaka Smart type).

IMO, you don't fire someone if you're not convinced you can hire a more competent replacement. There's nothing to be said for changing for the sake of change IMO. All it does is set you further back, even if you are convinced that the status quo isn't the right person. Continuity with the wrong coach trumps firing him and hiring another wrong guy just to make a change (see Jerry Green to Buzz Peterson).

Last edited:

Let me start by saying this, because I'm not making excuses with the rest of my post coach Martin deserves blame for our losses to Xavier and utep.

With that said...the Xavier game was our first game of the year. Our would be starting PG hadn't practiced the previous 3 weeks and was absent for many of practices because of therapy, therefore a bit behind on schematics and such. As a result, we went with a true freshman PG to start the game, not much of a surprise we started off horrendously on offense and were in a huge hole. We played much better the 2nd half, but had really just dug ourselves too deep of a hole. You saw when we played Xavier the 2nd time what we are capable of doing, it was never even a game we manhandled them.

Against UTEP I just think it was a lack of motivation and preparation, which should probably fall squarely on the head coaches shoulders. To his and his players credit they came to play in a way nobody predicted the next 2 games, and actually left a decent taste in most people mouth after how it started off.

I think one issue as has been mentioned is the team chemistry on court was/is still a work in progress. While it is on paper a pretty veteran team, thats not exactly true. Our starting PG is a senior, but this is his first year at Tennessee and playing with any of these guys (transferred from Memphis). And as I've already mentioned he missed close to 3 weeks of very important practices for anyone, but especially a newcomer. Jerome Maymon is a 5th year senior, but truth is he hadn't played in over a year and a half, and had only played about 10 games with his post counterpart Jarnell Stokes. Our first three guys off the bench are all true freshman. So, I do think there's been some growing pains, but it could be a lot worse, most people thought at this point we would be 6-2, and that's what we are.

Reactions: 3 people
Who's in your Avi I can't figure it out

Crompton as others have said. When he did this look on the sideline, it was friggin' priceless. Had to grab my phone and snap a picture while I paused it on dvr. Been my Avi over here ever since. Someone copied it and used it for a while though.

It's difficult to schedule good teams when teams in your own state won't play you. The field for the CBE backed out and was replaced with two horrible teams for our home match ups. Apologies for the scheduling, but I doubt UT will be the best team we play all year.

Yea I just looked at St. Louis ,they look legit. Didn't mean to offend, I guess I just thought with the ranking you guys would have a little bit of a tougher schedule.

Yea I just looked at St. Louis ,they look legit. Didn't mean to offend, I guess I just thought with the ranking you guys would have a little bit of a tougher schedule.

I think he is being honest. Just isn't well informed.

So how badly informed am I?

Stop with the false hope that this team will make any noise. Cuonzo ball is not going to get it done.

--Didn't mean to quote the first one

VN Store

Back