Shockers

Back when Wichita State was Fairmount College when it was formed, a number of the male student body would harvest or "shock" the wheat during summer breaks for extra cash. It was then used as a mascot later on.

WuShock, the mascot is an angry anthropomorphic shock of wheat. One of, if not the most unique mascot in the country, and very representative of the foundation of the university.

Pretty cool that you guys knew the origin of the name, most people around the country go "what the hell is a Shocker?"

Also, the hand signal "the shocker" is just a "w" that we use.... ;-)

That's one of the funnier descriptions of a mascot I've read (which admittedly isn't a long list).

Also I had no idea why Witchita State was the Shockers or what a Shocker was before this thread.

6a00e54ef2e21b88330168e8fcb6e3970c.jpg

Reactions: 1 person
“@Ben_Fred: Interesting twist to #Vols hoops practice today. "Hail Wichita" is blaring over the speakers at Pratt.

"@Ben_Fred: #Vols forward Jarnell Stokes: "We have the talent to beat them (Shockers). It's whether we bring our best game, or not."”

Also of note Josh Richardson family got 30 tickets for the game, so if that many actually show up may be a pretty decent vol contingency.

Wes Rucker said that Antonio Barton dinged up his knee a little bit yesterday in practice. There was a little concern but he practiced today and looked good.

Hmmm I like that, we've struggled bad against zone in the past (not as much this year).

WSU has the 12th rated Adjusted Defense in the country based on KenPom.

WSU holds opponents to .275 from 3, and .388 from the field.

The Shockers hang their hard hats on their defense. Tough nosed, agile, keep the defender in front defense. We've molded to the new freedom of movement rules very well.

I think a lot of the game revolves on how the refs want to call the game. Every game this year the refs have called the game to the new rules except for the game against SLU. That game the refs allowed the old rules to come into play and it was a knock out drag out fight.

If the refs call the game the way the new rules state it should be called, I think it favors the Shox. If the refs call the game like last year's rules, it favors UT. We can bang if we have to, but a lot of our offense is driven by finesse players who dribble drive, or use screens to get open. WSU runs a ton of screens. WSU also uses the dribble drive to get foul calls and get to the line, if we're not getting to the line, it will be a problem.

Back when Wichita State was Fairmount College when it was formed, a number of the male student body would harvest or "shock" the wheat during summer breaks for extra cash. It was then used as a mascot later on.

WuShock, the mascot is an angry anthropomorphic shock of wheat.

One of, if not the most unique mascot in the country, and very representative of the foundation of the university.

Pretty cool that you guys knew the origin of the name, most people around the country go "what the hell is a Shocker?"

Also, the hand signal "the shocker" is just a "w" that we use.... ;-)

Ouch. Bet the ladies don't appreciate that.

WSU has the 12th rated Adjusted Defense in the country based on KenPom.

WSU holds opponents to .275 from 3, and .388 from the field.

The Shockers hang their hard hats on their defense. Tough nosed, agile, keep the defender in front defense. We've molded to the new freedom of movement rules very well.

I think a lot of the game revolves on how the refs want to call the game. Every game this year the refs have called the game to the new rules except for the game against SLU. That game the refs allowed the old rules to come into play and it was a knock out drag out fight.

If the refs call the game the way the new rules state it should be called, I think it favors the Shox. If the refs call the game like last year's rules, it favors UT. We can bang if we have to, but a lot of our offense is driven by finesse players who dribble drive, or use screens to get open. WSU runs a ton of screens. WSU also uses the dribble drive to get foul calls and get to the line, if we're not getting to the line, it will be a problem.

See I would think it's the other way around. Defensively as I've said you guys are great, but much like last year where we can hurt you is at the line. So far this year we are one of the better teams in the country at getting to the line, especially our bigs. If our bigs come to play there's not a player on your roster that can stop them without fouling, so if it's called tight I would expect a lot of foul trouble for the shockers and a lot of free throws for us.

If it turns into a game in which we aren't getting the calls down low we tend to get frustrated and start jacking up perimeter shots, and that's not our strength at all.

Right now were not that great. Maybe as the yr goes on they gel. They have been pretty brutal to watch so far. Just being honest man.

We were 4-3 heading into the WSU game last year, and are 6-2 heading into the game this year.

About 99% of people predicted we would be 6-2 at this point of the season, not sure you're being that honest.

Wichita State has the easiest schedule I've ever seen. Are we the best team they will play all year?

It's difficult to schedule good teams when teams in your own state won't play you. The field for the CBE backed out and was replaced with two horrible teams for our home match ups. Apologies for the scheduling, but I doubt UT will be the best team we play all year.

It's difficult to schedule good teams when teams in your own state won't play you. The field for the CBE backed out and was replaced with two horrible teams for our home match ups. Apologies for the scheduling, but I doubt UT will be the best team we play all year.

Not tryin to argue, but who would be better regular season?

Saint Louis, will be a higher RPI at the end of the year than UT. (they already are, btw)

Indiana State, and BYU could have a higher RPI at the end of the season.

If you're going by RPI then ok that's fine but neither of those teams talent wise will be a tougher opponent. RPI doesn't tell the full story.

VN Store

Back