SEC superiority is dead

SEC has two teams in the BCS playoffs. That throws off the match ups by moving the other teams up two slots above where they should be. SEC is fine.

With that being said, I hope the all lose. Vols recruit against them.

I do think the SEC is having a (second in a row) down season. I think the OP is right: SEC is no longer king. The conferences are a lot more closely balanced than they were from 1998 to 2015.

Having said that, Backwards, you are theoretically right. Take the SEC's two best teams, and set them into the playoffs. Don't give the B10 (or PAC) any spots in the playoffs; leave their two best teams in the general bowl pool.

As a result, every time you match the B10 or PAC against the other conferences, they should be at an advantage.

Problem is, that theory didn't work out in practice. In two ways.

(1) The only B10-SEC mis-match was Michigan - USCe ... and the Gamecocks found a way to win. Northwestern - Kentucky sounds pretty fair. So do most of the B10's games against other conferences. So, in practice, not seeing the advantage the B10 should have from not getting into the playoffs.

(2) The PAC should have the same advantage...and has gone 1-8. Not much of an advantage, turns out.

So yeah...what it really seems to come down to is, the B10 and B12 (along with ND and UCF) came to play this bowl season, while the other conferences are pretty much mailing it in.

And the SEC is no longer top dog; we're just another P5 conference now.

Last edited:
I know you shouldn't make sweeping judgments regarding bowl games.

I know I am setting up a reverse jinx that will see Alabama and Georgia win tonight.

Now that's out of the way, this idea of the SEC being the best conference in America....at this point in time....is laughable.

Someone tell me which SEC team they've seen play good football so far this bowl season.

I'd like to know which team(s) have done so.
Its been dead for a few years now.

Reactions: 1 person
SEC has two teams in the BCS playoffs. That throws off the match ups by moving the other teams up two slots above where they should be. SEC is fine.

With that being said, I hope the all lose. Vols recruit against them.

What is a BCS Playoff? :)

LSU loses to Notre Dame
Auburn loses to UCF
Georgia’s defense looks like crap
Pathetic! Unbelievable! Inexcusable! Unacceptable!

Reactions: 2 people
Now National TV can get sick of the the only 2 songs UGA band knows-the 10 digit repeat of whatever, and the one I hate the most "glory, glory to old georgia"!! Sickening at best

You can thank Nick Saban and Alabama for the decline.

They've set an unattainable measuring stick which has caused a lot of instability within the conference coaching ranks over the last decade.

LSU and UGA both canned coaches that averaged 10 wins a year. A&M canned a coach that had never missed a bowl. We canned Fulmer when he couldn't hang with Saban and Meyer and have had four coaches since. Florida just canned a guy that won back to back division titles.

SEC assistants have become mercenaries for hire, too.

I think you are right about Saban and bama. Instead of inspiring other schools to step it up, it appears to be a demoralizing factor.

This is all about the match ups. There is no B1G in the playoffs so their top teams got to play the lesser teams (#10 and # 11).

None of the conferences really look dominating.

The conference sucks and I embrace it

Till UF is back **** everyone one else

That’s how I feel at least

The conference got by for too long on just flat out being bigger, faster, and stronger than everyone else.

Now, things have changed. We can't just out-athlete teams anymore. Hell, even FCS schools have incredible athletes at the skill positions now.

We're still recruiting game manager QBs to run our vanilla, LOS offensive schemes.

Every team (including us) is convinced that to beat Saban we have to hire a Saban disciple. People have been doing that with Belichick assistants for years and how many of them had success?

Still trying to beat Bama at its own game, meanwhile the rest of the country has figured out that's not how you beat them.

Good Grief!!! Georgia's defense looks so bad you have to think Third and Chavis is their DC.

The conference got by for too long on just flat out being bigger, faster, and stronger than everyone else.

Now, things have changed. We can't just out-athlete teams anymore. Hell, even FCS schools have incredible athletes at the skill positions now.

We're still recruiting game manager QBs to run our vanilla, LOS offensive schemes.

Every team (including us) is convinced that to beat Saban we have to hire a Saban disciple. People have been doing that with Belichick assistants for years and how many of them had success?

Still trying to beat Bama at its own game, meanwhile the rest of the country has figured out that's not how you beat them.
I agree 100% with the Saban disciple stuff I can tell you first hand that **** is for the birds lol frickin Foley tried it twice and I still hate him for it

VN Store

Back