SEC superiority is dead

I wonder how much of it has to do with the 25 scholarship limit the SEC put in place a few years ago? The Hugh Freeze rule

Actually, the Houston Nutt rule. He is the one who signed 37 players one year.

The OP was a little premature with this thread. Auburn will beat UCF. They just need to finish drives. They are dominating time of possession.

The top of the SEC is still the best but it hurts to have programs like Florida, Tennessee and Arkansas not even in bowl games at all. We need to get our act together.

It hasn't been strong because now everyone recruits in the SEC footprint...You're seeing Big10, AAC, ACC, Big 12 all over the south....to me a part of what opened it up was when conferences started expanding and now families of kids in the south can watch their kids on tv without having to travel. A coworker who is a Bama fan told me that the SEC wasn't very good this year and you're seeing it this bowl season

SEC teams are still getting the most and best players out of the south. And they’re still putting the most players in the nfl, meaning there’s a disconnect between having the most talent and no longer having the best conference. I’ve heard several analysts/insiders say coaching/a lack of top coaches has been the primary issue, and I believe that’s correct.

You can thank Nick Saban and Alabama for the decline.

They've set an unattainable measuring stick which has caused a lot of instability within the conference coaching ranks over the last decade.

LSU and UGA both canned coaches that averaged 10 wins a year. A&M canned a coach that had never missed a bowl. We canned Fulmer when he couldn't hang with Saban and Meyer and have had four coaches since. Florida just canned a guy that won back to back division titles.

SEC assistants have become mercenaries for hire, too.

Reactions: 2 people
Actually, the Houston Nutt rule. He is the one who signed 37 players one year.

The OP was a little premature with this thread. Auburn will beat UCF. They just need to finish drives. They are dominating time of possession.

The top of the SEC is still the best but it hurts to have programs like Florida, Tennessee and Arkansas not even in bowl games at all. We need to get our act together.

That's it. Houston Nutt. Thank you

A lot of credit to SC in the 2nd half and Auburn woke up.

You can just watch the SC game and see the athletic difference in a lot of places. Michigan should be better than this.

SEC has two teams in the BCS playoffs. That throws off the match ups by moving the other teams up two slots above where they should be. SEC is fine.

With that being said, I hope the all lose. Vols recruit against them.

Reactions: 1 person
You can just watch the SC game and see the athletic difference in a lot of places. Michigan should be better than this.

a lot of their roster are children.

Having said that, the SC formula for success has been to beat teams with absolutely nothing at the QB position.

But, 23 points in the 2nd half on that Michigan D is a pretty damn good job.

I'm fine with that.

Makes selling the idea that Tennessee can come back in a hurry all the easier.

The Saban effect. Everyone trying to keep up with Alabama has had the opposite results. Interesting that SEC basketball might have their best year ever. Strange how that works.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back