Search firm led by Former Vandy AD to hire next UT AD

A Vandy grad is NEVER the best man for the job, especially if it impacts athletics at UTK.

Sure he can. Do you honestly believe a man who graduated from Vanderbilt and started a search firm company, would purposefully hurt his investment and his company by trying to jeopardize a hire for the University of Tennessee soley because he is a university of Vanderbilt graduate?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Larry had said that big money was finally starting to speed up process and looked like Blackburn, but next day I see they hire a search firm.

So my question is does this now make it February like they were saying for an A.D., because if they pretty much knew who they were looking at for A.D. why waste money of firm?
I believe this covers the administration more. Search firm should do a thorough background check and just explore some other options. I see no issue as long as the AD hire is much faster than it was rumored to be earlier. That leadership vaccuum really sets back a program on hiring the best people and getting the decision makers on the same page. There's no excuse why it should take so long.

I do not know David Williams, the Vandy AD, personally. Way back when I lived in Nashville I knew people that did. He's a class guy that took over after Gordon "I hate all things athletic" Gee took the chancellor's job at Ohio State. While at Vandy Gee killed the AD position saying he didn't need one. Of course while at OSU he suddenly caught a change of heart if he wanted to remain employed there about athletics. David has done a very good job following that low point in Vandy athletics IMO and based on people I know that know him.

Remy, you are incorrect. Gordon Gee hired David Williams in the position of Vice Chancellor which is basically their AD position. Williams represented Vandy as their AD in all meetings involving ADs during that time. Since Gee "destroyed" their AD position they have done rather well, especially in spring sports and holding their own in football and basketball.

A waste of time and money. Also an embarrassment to have a Vandy grad help determine the future of Tennessee athletics. Blackburn should have been hired a long time ago.

Reactions: 2 people
A waste of time and money. Also an embarrassment to have a Vandy grad help determine the future of Tennessee athletics. Blackburn should have been hired a long time ago.

An embarrassment? Do you honestly believe a man who graduated from Vanderbilt and started a search firm company, would purposefully hurt his investment and his company by trying to jeopardize a hire for the University of Tennessee soley because he is a university of Vanderbilt graduate?

Reactions: 2 people
An embarrassment? Do you honestly believe a man who graduated from Vanderbilt and started a search firm company, would purposefully hurt his investment and his company by trying to jeopardize a hire for the University of Tennessee soley because he is a university of Vanderbilt graduate?

That's the way it is on here...everybody has it in for poor UT. People complained about Dickey as AD because he left UT for UF. "Bama Dave". Jimmy Cheek is a Gator so he obviously hates UT football.

Reactions: 1 person
The fact that we need another search firm because the first one told u Blackburn was the clear choice is sad. The BOT wants to block Blackburn so much its mind numbing.

Reactions: 1 person
Besides Blackburn, Barnhart of Kentucky and Byrne and the Northwestern athletic director are also in the mix, according to a recent column in the Knoxville News Sentinel on this subject.

Has LWS posted recently? He last said that big money guys were speaking up and moving this along which was great news a few days ago. But everyone else's tie is that there is much division behind the scenes and absolutely no leadership at all. Second search firm says Brice, then Hyams says that's not true. Dipetrio has decided to go into a bunker it appears, he needs to lead this university! What a mess and an embarrassment - we fans need to continue to make our voices heard. We want our athletic department back!

Has LWS posted recently? He last said that big money guys were speaking up and moving this along which was great news a few days ago. But everyone else's tie is that there is much division behind the scenes and absolutely no leadership at all. Second search firm says Brice, then Hyams says that's not true. Dipetrio has decided to go into a bunker it appears, he needs to lead this university! What a mess and an embarrassment - we fans need to continue to make our voices heard. We want our athletic department back!

I think we will have an athletic director by March but to be honest with you, there is so much fighting behind the scenes with the big donors as they jockey to be the person with a say, it is difficult to know from one day to the next what they may do.

I think we will have an athletic director by March but to be honest with you, there is so much fighting behind the scenes with the big donors as they jockey to be the person with a say, it is difficult to know from one day to the next what they may do.

How do you know that?

On the zone in Nashville today they said the President should come out and make a statement as to what is going on. People that supposedly know keep saying not having a AD isn't hurting us in finding coaches for our staff. I know one thing, we are a snail compared to other folks finding replacements. And then today they talk about us looking at coaches from places like Richmond, it seems we never look for coaches at bigger schools with PROVEN RECORDS anymore but maybe it's just me. I don't see many other big time programs going to the prarie views and richmonds of the world to find our replacements. GBO!!!!

I will gladly admit that I don't trust a Commodore any further than I can throw him. Make fun of the conspiracies if you want, but Bama Dave and Booger Gator didn't exactly impress me much.

Thank you for your response LWS. That is so disappointing to hear damnit. What a mess! Do you think Fulmer, Majors or Manning will step up and say something? What happened from a few days ago? You seemed very confident then in thinking it would be moving forward soon. What is some boosters problem with Blackburn? Or is it admin/BOT/ Davenport? He's as true a VOL as they come! We need that right now so badly. Is this why the owner of Copper Cellar/Calhouns put out a public backing of Blackburn? Sorry to bombard you with questions- this is ridiculous on so many levels my goodness. Thanks for your time!

Because we have an administration that doesn't give 2 sh!ts about the well being of athletics at UT.

Which is extremely sad... Granted academics matter. But they and athletics go hand in hand... Without the money provided by boosters AND the Athletics Dept... Programs like, "how to pet a butterfly" DO NOT EXIST!!

That's the way it is on here...everybody has it in for poor UT. People complained about Dickey as AD because he left UT for UF. "Bama Dave". Jimmy Cheek is a Gator so he obviously hates UT football.

Well.. s.Hit runs down hill.. but there again even a dog smells an arsehole first.

Last edited:
According to another thread, Byrne is replacing Battle at Alabama so UT can scratch him off their list.

I thought the point of spending money on a Search Firm was for them to SEARCH for a candidate. He was at TBA court-side munching on some corn. Wasn't hard to find at all.

Perhaps said search firm can also help UT search for the University colors. Just to cover all our basis, dudiligence blah blah blah.

VN Store

Back