Search firm led by Former Vandy AD to hire next UT AD

I've never been involved with a search firm in athletics but have been in the corporate world. Those search firms identified potential candidates based on our criteria, performed thorough background investigations on candidates recommended to us that we wished to interview, arranged interviews, etc. The firms did not select our hire (we did after multiple interviews) and the firm was paid based on the salary of the individual hired. If no viable candidate was presented or hired, the firm made no money.

Not the same in college athletics world hiring a AD or coach as it is on the business world hiring a VP of sales or IT guy. First reason is there is zero media coverage hiring the sales guy or It geek. No AD or coach worth a grain of salt is going to come into a media frenzy and "interview" for a job. The college search firm's job is to vet the candidates, see who is really interested and gets the interview behind the scenes. Im not saying the firm actually "hires" the guy but they do put the candidates in the best light and the school usually selects the "candidate" from that presentation. In the business world you can interview Sales and IT guys and gals all you want. Not the same in the college athletic world

Common practice in the business world and at other universities. One of the main functions is to do a thorough background check so that you don't get bit in the butt. For the life of me I don't understand all the negativity about it.

Nor do I. :hi:

I do understand the frustrations with the timeline and agree that it would help CBJ if the new AD was on staff now. He needs some way to point to a bit of stability, I think, as he tries to hire the best candidates for the open and potentially open coaching spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Source: Tennessee is not leaning toward hiring search firm of Todd Turner Collegiate Sports associates in pursuit of athletic director.

Source: `We will hire a search firm depending on qualifications and if we need one. We owe it to Tennessee to get the best (A.D.) there is.'

The source said incoming Chancellor Beverly Davenport has indicated `we want the best of the best.'

- Per Jimmy Hyams (@JimmyHyams)

Reactions: 2 people
Apparently UT is UT's own worst enemy!! :banghead2:

10037-albums19-picture5776.jpg

Great song

"criteria"...such an all-inclusive and vague term...I bet Butch has a few terms he could use to describe the AD search process right now...:)

GO VOLS!

Search firms are a waste of money, if folks would do their job they would do their own searching. Heck we should know who went want instead of a search firm telling you who you need. Doug Matthews was talking the other day about he personally thought it was silly to go the search firm route. GBO!!!!

Last edited:
He is speaking of the search firm the University is using. The owner of it is the ex Vandy AD

The statement is still untrue. Let that sink in for a while. The search firm does research and provides a list which is used by the University to review. A person who not on that list can be hired.

Why on God's Green Earth is a search firm needed? The obvious answer is 90 miles down I-75. This is about as dumb as hiring a consulting firm to prove the brown stuff in the toilet is, in fact, SH*T!

To spent $75 grand to cover their butts. Search firms should uncover things which might raise concerns , say with the NCAA, I guess.

The Knox County School Board is looking for a new supertindant and they are not using a search firm but 3 members of the board have taken it upon themselves to do it so it will be interesting to see who replaces McIntyre......

Is he the one who hired James Franklin? If so then greatest news ever.

Nope he isn't. The guy who hired Franklin and Tim Corbin for baseball is still there....David Williams. You want him? Most Vandy fans would be willing to send him and his sweat pants over to Knoxville.

Reactions: 1 person
The statement is still untrue. Let that sink in for a while. The search firm does research and provides a list which is used by the University to review. A person who not on that list can be hired.

The person hired will be recommended by Turners group

Larry had said that big money was finally starting to speed up process and looked like Blackburn, but next day I see they hire a search firm.

So my question is does this now make it February like they were saying for an A.D., because if they pretty much knew who they were looking at for A.D. why waste money of firm?

paid by whom, to whom?

The pool of candidates often have to pay a fee to register with some of the larger search firms. Some of the search firms have tiers of services if you will and the more services the higher the fees paid. It should surprise you not the candidates in the higher tiers of services being paid for get more and better shots at employment. You get what you pay for as a candidate. As a hiring org, you get to point to a 3rd party if it doesn't work well. How's that search firm thingy working for our men's basketball program recently?

I do not know David Williams, the Vandy AD, personally. Way back when I lived in Nashville I knew people that did. He's a class guy that took over after Gordon "I hate all things athletic" Gee took the chancellor's job at Ohio State. While at Vandy Gee killed the AD position saying he didn't need one. Of course while at OSU he suddenly caught a change of heart if he wanted to remain employed there about athletics. David has done a very good job following that low point in Vandy athletics IMO and based on people I know that know him.

Wasn't UT's former football coach, DD an AD at LT? Sarcasm intended. :)

Yes he was, and if the search firm recommends him for AD? Any intelligent argument toward using them ever again will fall on deaf ears.

We should pay Mike Hamilton to give us a list of options for the AD position. Then we'd know who to avoid.

VN Store

Back