'18 SC WR Bryce Thompson (UT commit 5/30/18)

Don’t feed the troll guys. Dude said Byrd is a better WR lololol. Someone link a JJ highlight film and shut this dude up. JJ is a dawg and we missed him badly last season.

Edit: I’ll just leave this here... since ya know... he only had two good games lolol. Just copy and paste idk how to embed stuff on mobile.

https://youtu.be/OgE-m5SPfzI

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Uh... okay.

That sideline catch showed great concentration to not only make the catch after the bobble but to also stay in bounds.

Also let’s not dismiss the over the defenders back incredible catch he had in the same game.

Is he Randy Moss? No. But he’s made plays that us fans still talk about two years later and honestly that Hail Mary will become a part of Tennessee lore. Your grandkids will see that play.

Suggesting he is “not that good” is something I simply do not agree with. He could play on my team any day of the week. Especially if it’s a big game.

I think he's good and has potential to be very good, but a lot of the talk about him is like Greek mythology. He's had a couple good games but people act like he's had this crazy productive career. I think he'll be much better with good coaching but I doubt he's anything close to a guaranteed number 1 receiver. May not even start at first considering he still trying to make up for his actions last year.

I remember that one and a few other tough yardage plays.

Sure, take away those two touchdowns and he still has almost as many as those three together.

I liked the one where he trucked the DB and the DB was called for targeting (UGA maybe?)

JJ is overrated by our fans as a WR because #1 he is a dawg #2 he made some big catches at big moments. But as far as being a complete WR he is not very strong.

Reactions: 2 people
JJ is overrated by our fans as a WR because #1 he is a dawg #2 he made some big catches at big moments. But as far as being a complete WR he is not very strong.

JJ is tall, quick feet, physical, high points the ball, good ball skills. As far as route running I’m not educated enough in football to know, but JJ has all the tools you want in a WR. And in my personal opinion, the attitude he has is even more important. WR is a 1v1 position. Who wants it more kinda thing. JJ is not the best WR to have played at our storied program, but he’s a damn good athlete and player. Idk how anyone can argue againat that.

Reactions: 3 people
Josh Malone (2015) 31 rec 405 yards 13.1 avg. 2 TD
Jauan Jennings (2016) 40 rec 580 yards 14.5 avg 7 TD

Call him overrated if you want, I'd say that Jennings was on a good pace. He's obviously not a Julio Jones type, but he's demonstrably better than most of the receivers currently on the roster. Johnson and Callaway compare favorably, especially when accounting for the fact that the passing game was so much worse in 2017 than 2016. Regardless, those are our top three receivers based on what we've actually seen on the field. Of course, we don't know how Jennings will look given everything that happened last year, but suggesting that anyone else is superior to Jennings is ludicrous.

JJ is tall, quick feet, physical, high points the ball, good ball skills. As far as route running I’m not educated enough in football to know, but JJ has all the tools you want in a WR. And in my personal opinion, the attitude he has is even more important. WR is a 1v1 position. Who wants it more kinda thing. JJ is not the best WR to have played at our storied program, but he’s a damn good athlete and player. Idk how anyone can argue againat that.

Not saying he is a bad WR. Saying his aura is a little inflated. He doesn't have great WR speed. He has trouble getting separation at times. His hands are inconsistent. But as I said, he is an alpha and probably the biggest competitor on the roster. He has shown up big in big moments.

There’s absolutely no evidence to suggest Jennings is a bad route runner. Sure he isn’t the fastest, but he adjusts to the ball better than anyone on the team.

I like the one where he wnt thru the DB and caught the ball off his back like a boss. But sure...2 plays

I believe that was a LB, that dude with the long blonde hair. But either way, helluva catch. There was also a play in the UGA game where he crunched a DE in a head on block, which allowed Kamara to score. He may not be the most talented receiver, but he is an Alpha dog.

Jennings will make plays in this offense. Definitely not the most polished guy, but if you throw the football up in one on one coverage, he's winning that battle 70% of the time.

I believe that was a LB, that dude with the long blonde hair. But either way, helluva catch. There was also a play in the UGA game where he crunched a DE in a head on block, which allowed Kamara to score. He may not be the most talented receiver, but he is an Alpha dog.

2 years ago at South Carolina the safety tried to take his head off over the middle and JJ ended up making the catch and knocking out the safety. Probably giving him a concussion. Anyone remember that play? Give me JJ and Callaway on the outside, and B Johnson in the slot all day long. That’s a tough group to defend.

C’mon man. I’m not going to get into a debate but we all know Jennings is about as elusive as an elephant

We don’t go 4 and ****ing 8 with JJ. We don’t lose to all 3 of Kentucky, Florida and South Carolina with him. Probably win 2/3 if not all 3. Last play of the USCjr game, JG’s not throwing to Palmer. The Dog gets the ball and catches it. And the vast majority of Tennessee fans know he isn’t elite, but he’s definitely a solid #2 SEC receiver.

Reactions: 2 people
We don’t go 4 and ****ing 8 with JJ. We don’t lose to all 3 of Kentucky, Florida and South Carolina with him. Probably win 2/3 if not all 3. Last play of the USCjr game, JG’s not throwing to Palmer. The Dog gets the ball and catches it. And the vast majority of Tennessee fans know he isn’t elite, but he’s definitely a solid #2 SEC receiver.

It was actually thrown to Johnson, but still.

Callaway, Byrd, and Johnson are all better WRs.

Y’all think JJ is great because of 2 plays. One where the DB slipped and he almost dropped a wide open catch. The other was truly a great play. But overall he isn’t that good

I’m not sure that there is a WR on the roster that Byrd is better than.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back