Sad State of Affairs with UT football program if true

No, LWS is right. The last major big time coach UT hired was Johnny Majors and the only reason he came was because he was a former UT player. UT has shown time and again it isn't willing to pay the money it would take to get a top tier coach that has no ties to the program. I am not saying that UT would even get that coach but past coaching searches have proven that UT isn't even willing to try other than Gruden and those were faint hearted attempts to say the least. The notion that UT will fire CBJ and make a full court press for Kelly goes against everything UT has shown. Maybe that will change with the new AD but I doubt it, the Haslams still run the program. I would say the chances of CBJ being fired as of this moment are 50/50 at best.

Then boycott Pilot and vote the other clown out of office.

I do follow what LWS post quite a bit. However I do believe empty seats, less donations,and a drop in ticket sales will get things in gear. After all the football program powers everything, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. If the AD doesn't know this it will soon find out. Butch isn't the answer and the wheels are coming off.

This is not news. There are a few big players on the BOT that call the shots. As long as those individuals run the show, history tells you how this next transition is going to go. Majors was the last "big name" coach UT hired and we only managed that because he's a Vol. Look at the hires since. That's how we will roll this time as well. You aren't going to see a big name hired. You also won't see anyone with legal issues or issues with the NCAA considered for an opening if and when that day comes. We will go with a promising young coach from a lesser program who is squeaky clean. Sooner or later UT is bound to find one diamond in the rough, right? I mean we can't make the wrong hires each and every time can we? In any event, every fan base and program has its day and when that day has passed....you recognize it and move on. Life is too short to keep hoping against hope for true change when clearly none is coming.

Last edited:
So, if a bunch of 18-20 year men, let's say "decide to not give their all" and let's assume CBJ and crew have coached them up, is it because the coach has "lost" the team or a bunch of men who just don't have that fire in their belly?

I can attest to what I know about Millennials, I have hired and raised two and although I tried my best as a Dad to instill a good work ethic, spiritual inspiration, and to personify a good example. Their friends both personal and digital have a bigger influence that me or their mother.

I don't know how these men were raised, and I do believe that Butch and company have the desire to coach them up, but let's play devils advocate here for a second. What if it is the players, they are not getting what they want, enough playing time, being made to attend classes and practicing......very hard. I can see a certain % of these men to be less than happy and in-turn they are a cancer of bad attitudes. We've seen it here before when one Alpha Male (Kelly Washington comes to mind) and the team is divided internally.

I don't think there is any magic pixie dust a coach can sprinkle to erase 18 years of spoiling your child, and they are the best player on their team in High School and then all of sudden they are surrounded by a bunch of other players who feel they deserve to start.............I am thinking JG as being that person who is behind the scenes telling people CBJ made promises that he is not keeping, he is in a position of influence, probably has some friends who agree with him and now QD and JB are at odds.

You can see the discontent from JG on the sideline, and who is talking to him and who is NOT talking to him.

Back to my original thought, I've hired and fired more than I can count of today's youth and working to get somewhere is 1 out of 10. If this formula is true, CBJ is dealing with a bunch of disgruntled athletes who were told they could "compete", but that went in one ear and out the other. 3* to 5* doesn't matter, you can tell who has the where with all to compete and those that get a little boo boo and sit out.

JMO..but I am thinking Butch is having leadership issues, and there is no Coach that can solve 18 years of bad attitude. So how much responsibility should the players own to perform?

A.K.A. the 5-star heart syndrome?

Meyer wasn't a for sure slam dunk, mcelwain sure as hell wasnt, smart at UGA was an up and coming coordinator, hell saban is only at Bama BC rich rod said no. I'm just saying Tennessee isn't the only school to do this.

You can argue Tennessee was just as aggressive as any other school with the money they put out for Kiffin's staff.

Reactions: 1 person
No worries man. Im not always the nicest either and i know my comments tend to come off bad. So my apologies as well.I just try to assume certain things about people (everyones a vols fan and we all intent the best for the team) even though most of us disagree on how to get there.

Congrats on a great career. Docs are a special breed, i have had great ones along the way. Great people, including yourself with making those special forces.

I started my career at 2/6 as well, but didnt get there until Jan 97. Good unit. Former Commandant was my CO for a time.

Always good to find common ground.

Thanks for the kind words and especially thanks for your service! My grandfather was a Marine who served in WW2 and Korea. He never talked about it much, but one of the biggest smiles I ever saw from him was when I told him I was enlisting in the Navy, AFTER, I said I was going to be a Corpsman.

This conversation, to be honest, has definitely made me rethink how I post on this board. I just got into a rut of arguing with the people who took negative positions...instead of being open minded.

You never know who you're talking to, as you have proven, and for me, an 0311 who made it to SgtMaj gets the ultimate in respect. Takes a lot of heart, blood, sweat and unfortunately at times some tears, to accomplish what you did. As you know it's the staff NCOs who run the military, even though I was fortunate to serve with some phenomenal officers.

So congrats on your accomplishment, thanks for the lesson and service to our country, and AS ALWAYS, Semper Fi SgtMaj.

JMO..but I am thinking Butch is having leadership issues, and there is no Coach that can solve 18 years of bad attitude. So how much responsibility should the players own to perform?

If you take away the idea that Jones offered these bad attitudes a scholarship?

I guess he could cut all of em, but I'm not sure how well that would go over since he is responsible for them being here in the first place.

It's not a money issue. They asked and were turned down by everyone in each of the past searches. They all said the same thing to the AD. "If Phillip can't make you happy then I can't either". Fact. So they get an up and comer supposedly and lose every time.

Every major program has fired coaches who were successful in the past, it isn't unique to UT. If that were the case, then coaches would rarely move around. It's a business and money talks. UT never had serious interest in the candidates that people often mention. Gruden was never a serious option and neither will Kelly be if UT dismisses CBJ. It will be a second or third tier candidate and the UT administration will pass the blame off as if no one else was interested.

Meyer wasn't a for sure slam dunk, mcelwain sure as hell wasnt, smart at UGA was an up and coming coordinator, hell saban is only at Bama BC rich rod said no. I'm just saying Tennessee isn't the only school to do this.

You can argue Tennessee was just as aggressive as any other school with the money they put out for Kiffin's staff.

Every candidate you have mentioned was far more qualified than any of the past three hires at UT with the exception of maybe Kiffin.

His staff was the only reason he was hired and he had a great staff. There is no argument otherwise, and that is the point. The UT administration needs to do that again but I have zero faith they will

His staff was the only reason he was hired and he had a great staff. There is no argument otherwise, and that is the point. The UT administration needs to do that again but I have zero faith they will

Dooley was a product of timing and an AD hiring that was a dead man walking. Most every coach was already in place and had hired their staffs and made arraignments for their families. Putting together something that late was something most major coaches didn't want to do. Now UT admin and Haslam had pissed off a lot of people during the Kiffin hiring process. Hamilton knew who would be hired before Phil was out the door.

Butch was a decent shot in the dark up and comer mainly BC our roster was damn terrible at the time he was brought in. Recruiting rankings be damned that was one of the slowest Tennessee teams when Butch came on board.

My point is Tennessee has spent in the past and will spend in the future IMO and is in a lot better shape than they've been in the past.

Wow. I guess the lesson here for me is don't post drama and then go back to work for several hours. Sorry if my thoughts were vague or in a couple folks' eyes "stupid". I thought the bold red showing LWS's comment would suffice rather than posting a direct link since that link was buried in another post from yesterday. My bad. Sounds like some got my point. Namely, if the decision makers on the hill don't want this program to win championships, what's the point of supporting football at UT?

Hahahahahhahahaha

This isn't the NFL and the Haslems are still our Booster.

Didn't say it was the NFL. Not sure where you gleaned that nugget from in my post.

Any coach worth his salt is going to want control over their own hires as an example though.

This issue had a lot to do with Cutcliffe looking elsewhere several years back.

It is a common practice when there is a Hall of Fame legend around. And all the big time coaches know him well and like him. They elected him College Football Coaches Association President. Only people that would have a problem will be those that don't know or matter.

Yeah...he got elected president 14 years ago.

Coaching names in college football have changed just a little since then.

So, if a bunch of 18-20 year men, let's say "decide to not give their all" and let's assume CBJ and crew have coached them up, is it because the coach has "lost" the team or a bunch of men who just don't have that fire in their belly?

I can attest to what I know about Millennials, I have hired and raised two and although I tried my best as a Dad to instill a good work ethic, spiritual inspiration, and to personify a good example. Their friends both personal and digital have a bigger influence that me or their mother.

I don't know how these men were raised, and I do believe that Butch and company have the desire to coach them up, but let's play devils advocate here for a second. What if it is the players, they are not getting what they want, enough playing time, being made to attend classes and practicing......very hard. I can see a certain % of these men to be less than happy and in-turn they are a cancer of bad attitudes. We've seen it here before when one Alpha Male (Kelly Washington comes to mind) and the team is divided internally.

I don't think there is any magic pixie dust a coach can sprinkle to erase 18 years of spoiling your child, and they are the best player on their team in High School and then all of sudden they are surrounded by a bunch of other players who feel they deserve to start.............I am thinking JG as being that person who is behind the scenes telling people CBJ made promises that he is not keeping, he is in a position of influence, probably has some friends who agree with him and now QD and JB are at odds.

You can see the discontent from JG on the sideline, and who is talking to him and who is NOT talking to him.

Back to my original thought, I've hired and fired more than I can count of today's youth and working to get somewhere is 1 out of 10. If this formula is true, CBJ is dealing with a bunch of disgruntled athletes who were told they could "compete", but that went in one ear and out the other. 3* to 5* doesn't matter, you can tell who has the where with all to compete and those that get a little boo boo and sit out.

Besides the random rant about millennials, this post only makes sense if we're the only program with 18-22 year olds, which we're not.

I have no clue what point you're trying to make is when considering every team has the same aged players.

Wow. I guess the lesson here for me is don't post drama and then go back to work for several hours. Sorry if my thoughts were vague or in a couple folks' eyes "stupid". I thought the bold red showing LWS's comment would suffice rather than posting a direct link since that link was buried in another post from yesterday. My bad. Sounds like some got my point. Namely, if the decision makers on the hill don't want this program to win championships, what's the point of supporting football at UT?

Well bye....

Do you think it's the same Roger that calls into doc, jeff, and Harry?

No I'm not that person. Never called any show on am990. You might want to listen to the radio show tomorrow morning. I believe Jeff passed away and Doc was fired but don't let little facts get in the way of you making fun of a guy who sadly has a stuttering issue.

I know people hate him but Kiffin was the big time hire the year we got him. We fired Fulmer early to make sure we got him. I think ultimately he is going to be proven to be a good coach but he wasn't ready for Tennessee or USC. I won't be surprised to see him at a power 5 school soon. Just because he jilted us doesn't take away that we did go after the big name.

I know people hate him but Kiffin was the big time hire the year we got him. We fired Fulmer early to make sure we got him. I think ultimately he is going to be proven to be a good coach but he wasn't ready for Tennessee or USC. I won't be surprised to see him at a power 5 school soon. Just because he jilted us doesn't take away that we did go after the big name.

No.

If we get 60 hung on us Saturday, and the offense is still ineffective... go the JG for good. At least he IS a threat to run on the read option. Dormady is not. And yes Georgia is gonna remember last year and they will have a chip on their shoulder.

My thing is, why on earth would the people in charge not want UT to do better and make more money. Doesn't make sense.

Yes he has. He's also been right.

I think his opinion is as valuable as any. If anyone takes it as 'gospel' that's on them.

And he always makes sure to convey he is giving his opinion or his interpretation. He never overstates, just relays what he's heard or what he feels on a subject.

He's solid as anyone here with info.

Thank goodness I took zero time to read this....our fan base has become like a noon day soap opera....its embarrassing !

VN Store

Back