Sad State of Affairs with UT football program if true

Are they going to let us make a list of the coaches we want and then just say no to all of them?
Ok, I want Derek Dooley, Lou Holtz, Rick Neuheisel, and/or Charlie Weis.
I don't want Jon Gruden, Chip Kelly, or anyone with the last name Manning.

Well, this is uplifting. I hope I don't have to google the new coach, if and when they decide to hire one.

Reactions: 1 person
"Originally Posted by LWSVOL View Post
the coaches you want will not be an option, at any point"

This was posted yesterday in response to a post recommending we start reaching out right now to some big time coaches. The poster here is widely known on Vol Nation as someone in the know about how things are ran in the AD and amongst the big boosters. If he is correct, I don't see how one can extrapolate anything else other than the powers that be at UT don't care if this program is mediocre. As such, I wonder why we even bother supporting and watching UT athletics, much less it's biggest revenue producer, football. There are programs out there that have been able to be highly successful in the current big $$$ landscape of college football. Some have overcome probation, sanctions, poor decision making amongst their power brokers (who finally woke up and smelled the coffee i.e. Alabama and Saban), prison for its administration and former coaches (Penn State), and other soap operas like the ones we stay mired in. Yet they've come out and compete for championships - Alabama, Clemson, FSU (not this year), Oklahoma, USCw, Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, and now Penn State come to mind. Other teams with really good coaching stay competitive and/or are on the rise - TCU, now Georgia, perhaps Purdue, Oklahoma State - I'm sure there are others. Yet our team is mediocre, looks to have a ceiling of 8 regular season wins (not an average) under its current coach, and the decision makes seem to be okay with this? If that is indeed the case, then I'm not sure again why some here bother to spend $1,000s of dollars each year, waste hours of time watching crap like the UMASS game, only to hear the folks who can make this better will not do so?

Given our history, tradition, and hunger for winning among this fan base, it is almost criminal what we have had to deal with the past 10 years. Someone on another post outlined a great summary on why this job should now be very attractive to a big name coach wanting to make a change. If we keep Jones with what I suspect will be 6-6 this year, or we fire him at the end of the season and settle on another mid-major coach or an assistant, that's really all I need to know to substantiate that LWSVOL really knows what he's talking about.

If you are going to post commentary on someone else's post, either post it in his thread or include it here for all to see.

So since the OP won't post the relevant facts:

Someone posted:
"The coaches I want aren't coaching right now"

Then LWSVOL posted his comment. "The coaches you want will not be an option at any point"

So the question is who the coaches currently out of the game that are not an option? Miles? Gruden/(please stop)? Kelly?

Last edited:
Ahhh the old every generation after us sucks. 22 years in the Marine Corps reaching the top echelon of enlisted ranks and i can say todays generation is just fine. Certainly different than us older people. But every generation has their segment of "different" people.

Other coaches seem to not have an issue developing todays generation, but ours clearly is....

I gave you a thumbs up for your post. Im an old guy and its nice to see someone not bash the younger generation . Why is it that old people get all bent out of shape for younger people exercising their right to be individuals and trying to become their own person. We all go through it and we all had to find our own way. I remember it was insulting for older people to tell us what was best for us(even when it was sometimes). Everybody has to find their own way in life. As does every generation.

Reactions: 5 people
If there is a coaching search at the end of the season, bringing Fulmer in this year was likely a mistake IMO.

No high level coach is going to want him looking over their shoulder and would demand full control over the program.

Hahahahahhahahaha

This isn't the NFL and the Haslems are still our Booster.

Top teams in the country don't seem to be having this issue. Leadership starts at the top

How cliché, leadership starts at the top, this is not the 90s and yes there are teams not experiencing this issue, however there are some that are.....Florida, Florida State, Norte Dame, Texas. These are all traditional power houses......are you saying Florida State doesn't have issues? Jimbo is elbow deep in internal problems. His recruiting classes have been some of the best.

I am telling you it is MY belief that JG is causing some issues with the players and the OFFENSE is divided in the locker room.........JUST LIKE HURD. the only decisions CBJ has made incorrectly is the players. He under estimated a thing called "Team Player" in his evaluations....and he is living to regret it....this kids do not have his back, but he has theirs and look at the loyalty.........no, this is a player problem not a coaching problem.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes he has. He's also been right.

I think his opinion is as valuable as any. If anyone takes it as 'gospel' that's on them.

You can't take it as gospel but he's right a lot of the time. Guess the question is who was the Ops list of coaches?

No, LWS is right. The last major big time coach UT hired was Johnny Majors and the only reason he came was because he was a former UT player. UT has shown time and again it isn't willing to pay the money it would take to get a top tier coach that has no ties to the program. I am not saying that UT would even get that coach but past coaching searches have proven that UT isn't even willing to try other than Gruden and those were faint hearted attempts to say the least. The notion that UT will fire CBJ and make a full court press for Kelly goes against everything UT has shown. Maybe that will change with the new AD but I doubt it, the Haslams still run the program. I would say the chances of CBJ being fired as of this moment are 50/50 at best.

Ahhh the old every generation after us sucks. 22 years in the Marine Corps reaching the top echelon of enlisted ranks and i can say todays generation is just fine. Certainly different than us older people. But every generation has their segment of "different" people.

Other coaches seem to not have an issue developing todays generation, but ours clearly is....

Volfannnbama, what was your rank? Infantry? Were you mostly east coast or west? Just curious as I served at Lejeune for nearly 4 years out of my 5.5.

Last edited:
Volfannnbama, what was your rank? Infantry? Were you mostly east coast or west? Just curious as I served at Lejeune for nearly 4 years out of my 5.5.

SgtMaj, 0311 and on from there. I was at Lejuene from 96-00.... back when we showed up looking for the Jaguars stadium lol.

Semper Fi.

SgtMaj, 0311 and on from there. I was at Lejuene from 96-00.... back when we showed up looking for the Jaguars stadium lol.

Semper Fi.

That's great SgtMaj. You have my sincere apology for being a smartass at time.

I was a Corpsman with 2/6, then Recon then Force Recon. I was there from 93-97. Semper Fi!!

The assumption is that the coaches that poster wants are either Gruden, Chip Kelly, or Stoops.

Gruden would require an enormous price tag and nearly complete control of the entire program. He's never been a head coach at a big college program. Not saying he wouldn't or couldn't get us to an elite level here. But to say he's not an enormous risk is, in my opinion, not looking at the full picture.

Chip Kelly is a west coast guy with a little bit of baggage. Yes, he was sort of cleared of the mess at Oregon, but he still has a little bit of a stench from that. I could see our administration considering that a non-starter. Having said that, he certainly was an elite level coach at Oregon. Would that translate to Knoxville? I'm not sure. When he was dominating the college scene, he was running a system no one else was used to. Now a lot of programs are running at least some of what he did at Oregon. Trust me, if it was announced Chip Kelly was going to be our next coach, I wouldn't be displeased, but I don't think he's the slam dunk guy people think he is.

Bob Stoops - This one is intriguing, but I'm curious as to why he kind of left Oklahoma so suddenly. Has he even said he'd be open to coaching again? I really don't want Rick Barnes coaching our football program too.

I'm pretty critical of our administration, but I think it's a fair point that the names above all come with question marks as big as the money that would be required to lure them here. There is no such thing as a slam dunk hire. It is pretty easy to spend other people's money though.

Reactions: 2 people
That's great SgtMaj. You have my sincere apology for being a smartass at time.

I was a Corpsman with 2/6, then Recon then Force Recon. I was there from 93-97. Semper Fi!!

No worries man. Im not always the nicest either and i know my comments tend to come off bad. So my apologies as well.I just try to assume certain things about people (everyones a vols fan and we all intent the best for the team) even though most of us disagree on how to get there.

Congrats on a great career. Docs are a special breed, i have had great ones along the way. Great people, including yourself with making those special forces.

I started my career at 2/6 as well, but didnt get there until Jan 97. Good unit. Former Commandant was my CO for a time.

Always good to find common ground.

I read LWS's post. It is what the OP had in red in reference to some 'big name' coaches..

Larry is CORRECT. It only changes when the UT admin gets off their arses and makes a real commitment to fielding a championship caliber program (like Bama and Clemson). Until that happens they might as well just keep Butch. That's better than going thru another cycle of bargain basement, mid major, diamond in the rough coach only to be right back in the same situation 4-5 years later..

Could not agree more. You can talk about tradition and game day experience all you want. And the latter is becoming more and more painful.

But until the administration and boosters start envisioning excellence in the athletic programs this is all a waste of time. It is very easy to see why we have a proliferation of Bama icons throughout this state. Bama has set the bar and our program does not have a clue as to how to compete.

People forget that the Boomer boys started sticking in earrings and Gen X (Mike Tyson) pretty much kicked off the extreme tats. Each generation that follows just raises the bar of non-conformity.

Eric Berry is an example of this generation being just fine.

Heeelllooo,,,,,If big money has investments that they lose money in, it's just a tax write off to help even out the books at the end of the year.... They ain't losing money selling gas.

How cliché, leadership starts at the top, this is not the 90s and yes there are teams not experiencing this issue, however there are some that are.....Florida, Florida State, Norte Dame, Texas. These are all traditional power houses......are you saying Florida State doesn't have issues? Jimbo is elbow deep in internal problems. His recruiting classes have been some of the best.

I am telling you it is MY belief that JG is causing some issues with the players and the OFFENSE is divided in the locker room.........JUST LIKE HURD. the only decisions CBJ has made incorrectly is the players. He under estimated a thing called "Team Player" in his evaluations....and he is living to regret it....this kids do not have his back, but he has theirs and look at the loyalty.........no, this is a player problem not a coaching problem.

Cliche or not, it's the truth. You lost all credibility with me starting with "the only decisions CBJ has made incorrectly.......". Sorry not buying your belief

If there is a coaching search at the end of the season, bringing Fulmer in this year was likely a mistake IMO.

No high level coach is going to want him looking over their shoulder and would demand full control over the program.

It is a common practice when there is a Hall of Fame legend around. And all the big time coaches know him well and like him. They elected him College Football Coaches Association President. Only people that would have a problem will be those that don't know or matter.

No, LWS is right. The last major big time coach UT hired was Johnny Majors and the only reason he came was because he was a former UT player. UT has shown time and again it isn't willing to pay the money it would take to get a top tier coach that has no ties to the program. I am not saying that UT would even get that coach but past coaching searches have proven that UT isn't even willing to try other than Gruden and those were faint hearted attempts to say the least. The notion that UT will fire CBJ and make a full court press for Kelly goes against everything UT has shown. Maybe that will change with the new AD but I doubt it, the Haslams still run the program. I would say the chances of CBJ being fired as of this moment are 50/50 at best.

It's not a money issue. They asked and were turned down by everyone in each of the past searches. They all said the same thing to the AD. "If Phillip can't make you happy then I can't either". Fact. So they get an up and comer supposedly and lose every time.

VN Store

Back