Sad but true, Tennessee failed Crompton

JC was also a victim of Fulmer and Co. letting the talent level of the entire team (especially on offense) get down to the worst it has been here in over 2-3 decades. It is impossible for a QB to succeed when throwing to WR's who cant get separation (and drop it when they do),and playing behind an O-line starting (2) walk-ons. I know they didnt give up many sacks this year, but that had WAY more to do with CLK calling quick slants and getting the ball out quickly, than it did with the O-Line being even good. We saw their true colors when they played against what was just a descent D-Line from VT and were asked to protect JC for some drop back passing.

JC was also a victim of Fulmer and Co. letting the talent level of the entire team (especially on offense) get down to the worst it has been here in over 2-3 decades. It is impossible for a QB to succeed when throwing to WR's who cant get separation (and drop it when they do),and playing behind an O-line starting (2) walk-ons. I know they didnt give up many sacks this year, but that had WAY more to do with CLK calling quick slants and getting the ball out quickly, than it did with the O-Line being even good. We saw their true colors when they played against what was just a descent D-Line from VT and were asked to protect JC for some drop back passing.

Other than Meachem, we had about 0 separation prior to this year.

Moore has good separation, but he still has a bit of work to do.

I just really wish that Crompton had a fair shot. Most QB's get 4 years with one system. He got 4 systems in 4 years.

It wasn't fair to him, or to the Tennessee program. Years of bandaids and scapegoats hurt Crompton & Co. more than anything.

I do not hate Jonathan Crompton and wish him all the best life has to offer, but trying to make him out to be a good quarterback is ridiculous, Griff. Maybe you watched different games than I did, but from where I sat, Crompton just plain didn't have what it took.

Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to stay at Tennessee after his freshman year. Crompton got a full ride in college, television exposure and the chance to play for one of the most recognized programs in college football. Tennessee got 0 national championships, multiple losing seasons and no SEC championships. Tennessee deserved better than what it got from Crompton.

:Bbiteme:

I don't know what article you were reading, probably the one with your own agenda only, but Griff's main point was not to say that Crompton was PM. Also calling someone a great Vol, doesn't need to mean he was the greatest at that sport or that position. Some, maybe many, would say that Dane Bradshaw was/is a great Vol, but I would not consider him the one of the best players the Vols have had, though I do agree on the great Vol part.

I can only hope that you were drunk when you wrote your post because it show total lack of understanding of the football situation during Crompton's years. If so you seem to be a mean drunk...

I don't know what article you were reading, probably the one with your own agenda only, but Griff's main point was not to say that Crompton was PM. Also calling someone a great Vol, doesn't need to mean he was the greatest at that sport or that position. Some, maybe many, would say that Dane Bradshaw was/is a great Vol, but I would not consider him the one of the best players the Vols have had, though I do agree on the great Vol part.

I can only hope that you were drunk when you wrote your post because it show total lack of understanding of the football situation during Crompton's years. If so you seem to be a mean drunk...

You should get an avatar of Eddie Murphy in whiteface for the White Like Me sketch.

Like so:

eddie%2Bmurphy.jpg

Make sure you pimp your blog to the Waynesville News and all our rivals sites. That is your modus operandi. I say No to Griff the Stiff but I'm sure he'll get his blog hits by pimping it out to plenty of rival sites. Troll on brotha.

Make sure you pimp your blog to the Waynesville News and all our rivals sites. That is your modus operandi. I say No to Griff the Stiff but I'm sure he'll get his blog hits by pimping it out to plenty of rival sites. Troll on brotha.

He is right about this.

I do not hate Jonathan Crompton and wish him all the best life has to offer, but trying to make him out to be a good quarterback is ridiculous, Griff. Maybe you watched different games than I did, but from where I sat, Crompton just plain didn't have what it took. I'd be willing to bet that a LOT of players play with concussions, ankle sprains, and ill will from the crowd when they play poorly and they don't get banners hung for them either. Nobody held a gun to his head and forced him to stay at Tennessee after his freshman year. Crompton got a full ride in college, television exposure and the chance to play for one of the most recognized programs in college football. Tennessee got 0 national championships, multiple losing seasons and no SEC championships. Tennessee deserved better than what it got from Crompton.

And all you people who want to bust my chops for "hating" on a player can

:Bbiteme:

One of the most ignorant posts I have read on here in a while. Trying to blame Crompdaddy for us winning nothin in the past 4 years is insane. He only started 2 of those and those two were plagued by no talent, poor coaching in the former and O-linemen that would have a hard time starting at Kentucky. Sure he has had a share of the issues but making it seem it was his fault just shows lack of football knowledge.

I believe from Auburn 4th qtr to now, 6-7 round pick. He may be like Tom Brady who had a similar career at Michigan, low draft pick, Hall of Famer. I don't know what the future holds for Crompton, he's way more athletic than Brady. He is in a way better position end of this year than last to say the least.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Well at the least he gets his shot at the next level. I think that has to consider that a reached goal. I would even go as far as saying that he has already had the equivalent to a sophomore slump at the pro-level or more adversity than some of the next level QB'S ever experience.

Either way his next level career will be worth keeping a eye on. I think maybe we are surprised. Just maybe.

Crompton can walk out with his head high. He battled like a true warrior. The hand he was dealt at his time at UT was just awful. Fulmer never looked worse than his inexcusably inept bungling of the QB situation in 2005 and again in 2008...and Fulmer was supposed a 'veteran' head coach.

If Crompton had four or even two years under this staff he'd go down as one of the great and loved QB's in Tennessee history.

Such is life sometimes.

Is this opposite day? It's the other way around.... But let's not harp on the past, he turned it around for the most part and saved himself from being know as the worst qb is UT history.

Let's move on.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

since UT failed crompton, they should give him a million dollar bonus on the way out for his "efforts."

Without even reading the post I can say that I agree....numerous OCs....poor instruction....3 different systems.....he was put in a no win situation. To his credit he persevered and showed that he did have the ability to be a good QB and could have possibly been a great one under a different set of circumstances

It will be interesting to see what the next five years bring to Crompton and Tebow. I personally think that Crompton has a better shot at NFL success than Tebow. Crompton is a better dropback qb, purer passer than Tebow, he has good mobility and he has proven that he has perseverence in the face of adversity. He has dealt with 3 different systems in his 5 years at UT. I like his chances for success!

This is one blog I agree with for the most part. JC would IMO rank in the top 10 QB's in UT history if he had a fair opportunity. The lower part of the top 10 most likely, but much better than some are giving credit. About one below Tee Martin.

LOL I don't even drink.

with all respect to crompton, and i do respect him as a person and as a true blue u.t. letterman, i just don't think he is a d-1 q.b., not by a jug full. he's probably as physically gifted as any q.b. who ever wore the orange, but i swear i could tell who he was going to on a passing play within a millisecond of the snap. that he was as successful as he was is a tribute to some excellent receivers and his own phenomenal athletic ability.

You still think that? You're going to be severely disappointed I guess if he makes an NFL roster. Look at his stats this year, bud. He actually had coaching this year (as opposed to last year) and threw for 27 TDs and 2,800 yards. That's not bad in my book especially considering his UCLA game and the way Kiffin played so conservative against UF.

If any one coach failed Crompton maybe it was Phil. Crompton never quit, and he could have. I'll give him credit for that. Otherwise, in theory, I think he wanted to take a leadership role on this team, but never quite had the personality to pull it off. I find it hard to even blame Fulmer for that.

If any one coach failed Crompton maybe it was Phil. Crompton never quit, and he could have. I'll give him credit for that. Otherwise, in theory, I think he wanted to take a leadership role on this team, but never quite had the personality to pull it off. I find it hard to even blame Fulmer for that.

That's what I love about LexVol, he sort of gives you a compliment, and you get a glimmer of hope, and then he pulls it away, leaving you dismantled!

Without even reading the post I can say that I agree....numerous OCs....poor instruction....3 different systems.....he was put in a no win situation. To his credit he persevered and showed that he did have the ability to be a good QB and could have possibly been a great one under a different set of circumstances

Carl, Gotta agree. Maybe before Arian Foster, kicked the crap out of NE, I might have balked, but now? Yeah youre right. Had he had three years under kiffin, I think hed be a whole different player right now.

The defense wasn't in lock-down mode. Eric Berry was largely absent in his UT finale, looking more out of position than ever.

Berry was in on just about every hit made...

VN Store

Back