Saban Interview

Delmar

Saw an interesting interview just now with Saban on Yahoo Sports. He said these didn’t cause his retirement but that they contributed to it. One was the way some of his players reacted immaturely to the Michigan loss. Secondly he alluded to recruiting nowadays. Said that (1) 70 to 80% of the players he would talk to came right out and asked what their playing time would be the next year. And (2) asked flat out how much NIL money they were going to get. Not a big shocker but thought it was interesting that he admitted it played a part. It is now a big part of recruiting that the coaches have to deal with.

Yep, just read it. And he's 100% right. These excerpts stood out. View attachment 625187View attachment 625186
Yeah, money is not important at all. I’m sure Saban would be fine coaching without pay and only for his love of the game. As soon as the players want a piece of the pie, Saban spins it as “these players are all about themselves”. Loving the game/being passionate about winning, and wanting to be compensated are not mutually exclusive.

Yeah, money is not important at all. I’m sure Saban would be fine coaching without pay, but for his love of the game. As soon as the players want a piece of the pie, Saban spins it as “these players are all about themselves”. Loving the game/being passionate about winning, and wanting to be compensated are not mutually exclusive.

You know good and well it's out of control.

Being allowed to make money for a jersey with your name on it is fine, but your pay is in the form of a scholarship to a major university. A degree that can give you life long income.

NIL is wrecking college football.

Being allowed to make money for a jersey with your name on it is fine, but your pay is in the form of a scholarship to a major university. A degree that can give you life long income.

that doesn't make it right to deny them their own names, images, and likenesses.

doesn't matter if the market is out of control right now for the players. the market has been out of control for coaches for a while, didn't ruin the game there. The POSSIBILITY of future pay from 3rd parties doesn't mean the current system doesn't have to pay money. the scholarship dollar amount is already paid for by the product these players put on the field. It also pays for dozens if not hundreds of other scholarships.

the greed of the NCAA, coaches, fans, and the schools tainted the game long before the players started getting a legal cut.

Reactions: RockyTop140

It's really only "out of control" because it flew under the radar for years, but a free market economy is what works in America. Since it's your apparent profession, are real estate market prices out of control or is it just the market at work?

The players are worth it to the programs and they're getting the money the programs feel is worth offering.

Sucks when you aren't making the money from a market jumping up high, doesn't it?

Saw an interesting interview just now with Saban on Yahoo Sports. He said these didn’t cause his retirement but that they contributed to it. One was the way some of his players reacted immaturely to the Michigan loss. Secondly he alluded to recruiting nowadays. Said that (1) 70 to 80% of the players he would talk to came right out and asked what their playing time would be the next year. And (2) asked flat out how much NIL money they were going to get. Not a big shocker but thought it was interesting that he admitted it played a part. It is now a big part of recruiting that the coaches have to deal with.
Let me clarify. On the 70 to 80% numbers, he was talking about players already on the team. I guess that’s still part of “recruiting” these days. You have to re-recruit your own team. I’m sure a lot of the high school recruits are asking the same questions.

Reactions: DuckInAPen

Yes all of the foosball players are there at these fine universities for their academic acumen. No doubt the kids that are nearly illiterate will benefit from those scholarships. 😂

Reactions: feathersax
I'm physically rolling my eyes reading that. Like UA/Saban weren't paying players before and that is part of the reason they signed with Bama. Give me a break. He is quitting because everybody can do above the table now so his advantage is gone. It's that simple.

Saying its different now because the players are all about money rings pretty hollow coming from a guy raking in $Millions a year.

It's really only "out of control" because it flew under the radar for years, but a free market economy is what works in America. Since it's your apparent profession, are real estate market prices out of control or is it just the market at work?

The players are worth it to the programs and they're getting the money the programs feel is worth offering.

Sucks when you aren't making the money from a market jumping up high, doesn't it?

The Real Estate market prices are 100% out of control.

I'm physically rolling my eyes reading that. Like UA/Saban weren't paying players before and that is part of the reason they signed with Bama. Give me a break. He is quitting because everybody can do above the table now so his advantage is gone. It's that simple.

Saying its different now because the players are all about money rings pretty hollow coming from a guy raking in $Millions a year.
IMO, having to pay guys above the table doesn't stress him (and other coaches) out.

What really stresses them out is the Portal. The real sea change in the sport is guys being able to leave and play immediately. Really has equalized the balance of power between the players and coaches/schools. They have so much more leverage now than they used to.

All of that is probably true. But being close to turning 70, I can honestly say that I wouldn’t have the patience nor the inclination to put up with all the changes that are going on. If I had millions of dollars, multiple car dealerships and four houses, I would have walked away too. Pretty sure being 72 with absolutely nothing left to prove had something to do with it. And I’ll wager you’ll see more coaches hang it up in the next few years because of all the changes.

Reactions: VolNExile
IMO, having to pay guys above the table doesn't stress him (and other coaches) out.

What really stresses them out is the Portal. The real sea change in the sport is guys being able to leave and play immediately. Really has equalized the balance of power between the players and coaches/schools. They have so much more leverage now than they used to.
Yep. You basically have to re-recruit your team every year and that has to be a quantum leap for stress.

NCAA WHERE ARE YOU?

That is a direct violation of old and new rules as coaches (obviously except at Alabama, UGA and tOSU) can’t talk with players about money.

VIOLATION OF ALL RULES…..PAY TO PLAY…

NCAA WHERE ARE YOU?

That is a direct violation of old and new rules as coaches (obviously except at Alabama, UGA and tOSU) can’t talk with players about money.

VIOLATION OF ALL RULES…..PAY TO PLAY…
Did you miss the ruling the other day that the NCAA is powerless to enforce any NIL rules old or new?

Reactions: GroverCleveland
Did you miss the ruling the other day that the NCAA is powerless to enforce any NIL rules old or new?
Did you miss my point. He admitted he violated rules before that ruling, thought Saban never paid and had nothing to do with paying players.

Did you miss my point. He admitted he violated rules before that ruling, thought Saban never paid and had nothing to do with paying players.
He didn’t say he engaged in conversations about money with them. Just said that’s all they were asking about.

Yeah, money is not important at all. I’m sure Saban would be fine coaching without pay and only for his love of the game. As soon as the players want a piece of the pie, Saban spins it as “these players are all about themselves”. Loving the game/being passionate about winning, and wanting to be compensated are not mutually exclusive.
Saban sure didn’t mind his agent leveraging for more money all the time. He can shut up with this garbage. His “Nobody is getting rich here” quote from years ago was laughable. I’m so tired of the schtick from some of these guys acting like they are about what’s pure and good in amateur athletics when he’s one reason coaching salaries have gotten insane.

Reactions: RockyTop140
All of that is probably true. But being close to turning 70, I can honestly say that I wouldn’t have the patience nor the inclination to put up with all the changes that are going on. If I had millions of dollars, multiple car dealerships and four houses, I would have walked away too. Pretty sure being 72 with absolutely nothing left to prove had something to do with it. And I’ll wager you’ll see more coaches hang it up in the next few years because of all the changes.
Amen! This is why people want to retire by the time we're in our 60's, if not sooner. We just lose our patience with idiotic behavior. Putting up with workplace BS 40 hours a week is bad enough for us workplace drones. It must be hell for those on endless call.

(I'm 69, fully retired in 2019 after my mom had The Big Fall, right before the worldwide chit hit the fan in 2020)

Reactions: tbh
Amen! This is why people want to retire by the time we're in our 60's, if not sooner. We just lose our patience with idiotic behavior. Putting up with workplace BS 40 hours a week is bad enough for us workplace drones. It must be hell for those on endless call.

(I'm 69, fully retired in 2019 after my mom had The Big Fall, right before the worldwide chit hit the fan in 2020)
Yep. 69 as well. I retired at the end of the year and I knew it was time. As I’ve gotten older, my tolerance for dumbass has gotten real thin. It was best to head on down retirement road.

NIL is affecting other sports as well outside the top 2 (football and basketball). I've got one playing at a smaller school now in a non-revenue sport and if someone has a great performance they are talking about transfering to a P5 school to see if they can cash in. It's ridiculous how they brush off their educational opportunity at a top 25 school in pursuit of a few thousand dollars now from a more inferior school.

A lot of the old guard like Saban, Coach K, and Roy Williams probably don't want to deal with restocking their rosters every season and the NIL angle.

I agree. The portal is the antithesis of what coaches are all about. Organization. There isn’t a coach in major football, at a least a decent one who isn’t obsessed w/ organization. You used to recruit a guy and know that he’s quarterback of the future and I have him for at least 3 years, maybe 4 or 5. Now, it’s impossible to plan your roster given the transfer rules. Something will have to change, and it will probably something landmark that is needed to keep guys on campus .

VN Store

Back