Saban, Bama recruiting, and the 3rd Saturday in October

Since it's a boring time of the year re CFB, I'll take a cut at commenting on some of your thoughts.

UT's defense was ranked third in total D last year. You are telling me there will be no improvement over that with Monte the best DC in all of football and Orgeron the best D-line coach at any level?
I expect UT's D to be very good this year. I expect Monte to get the most out of what he has.

Bama may be back, but quit acting like your defense is some kind of god. I lost any kind of awe for Bama's D after watching Utah cut through them and run them over in the Sugar Bowl like that.
Certainly understandable. Utah insisted on exposing our lack of a pass rush and weakness in the secondary. We couldn't talk 'em into running right at us. :cray: You guys are hardly as good as you think you are. Personally, i think your entire coaching staff, including Saban is a little overrated,
I don't; we're entitled to our opinions
and you benefited greatly from Auburn, UT and LSU being down last year.
Of course we did. As TN benefitted when Bama was down in the 90's-early 2000's. As FL is presently benefitting from Miami & FSU being down. It's the nature of the beast.
There were no second half adjustments against Utah in that game. Nothing to go to. Looked like Les Miles or Fulmer was coaching out there. No doubt LSU has had MUCH better teams of late than last year's overrated Bama team. With Chavis over there, I'd say you are hardly a lock for the west in the future now that they will have a defense once again.
I expect Chavis to do well as LSU's D-coordinator. Except on 3rd & long... :yes:

Vol fans, don't let these Bamma blowhards fool you. They realize we stand a very good chance at beating their overrated team next year just like a much less talented Utah team did.
I think TN has a reasonable shot at beating us; and will beat us if we treat the game as a "gimme" prior to the open week. The schedule benefits TN. TN will be coming off an open date; Bama will be playing its 8th game in a row.
I'll take our staff over their's any day of the week.
I wouldn't trade; but TN has a great staff.
Hell, we even took Saban's right hand man, Thompson because he realized our staff is better. That hurt Bama fans worst than they are letting on.
I don't think so. Thompson was a great recruiter and an average LB coach. His replacement is a very good recruiter and a very good LB coach. TBD who got the best deal.

UT's defense was ranked third in total D last year. You are telling me there will be no improvement over that with Monte the best DC in all of football and Orgeron the best D-line coach at any level?

Bama may be back, but quit acting like your defense is some kind of god. I lost any kind of awe for Bama's D after watching Utah cut through them and run them over in the Sugar Bowl like that. You guys are hardly as good as you think you are. Personally, i think your entire coaching staff, including Saban is a little overrated, and you benefited greatly from Auburn, UT and LSU being down last year. There were no second half adjustments against Utah in that game. Looked like Les Miles or Fulmer was coaching out there. No doubt LSU has had MUCH better teams of late than last year's overrated Bama team. With Chavis over there, I'd say you are hardly a lock for the west in the future now that they will have a defense once again.

Vol fans, don't let these Bamma blowhards fool you. They realize we stand a very good chance at beating their overrated team next year just like a much less talented Utah team did. I'll take our staff over their's any day of the week. Hell, we even took Saban's right hand man, Thompson because he realized our staff is better. That hurt Bama fans worst than they are letting on.

hmm...when you put it this way, florida got the short end of the stick too. im not saying that AL and FL dont have talent, but they had some free games. who we need to watch out for is LSU on defense. remember, they have our old dc!

I'll overlook the outlandish homerism of your "best in all of football coaches" and just say, "yes, that is exactly what I'm telling you. wait and see."

Bama may be back, but quit acting like your defense is some kind of god. I lost any kind of awe for Bama's D after watching Utah cut through them and run them over in the Sugar Bowl like that. You guys are hardly as good as you think you are. Personally, i think your entire coaching staff, including Saban is a little overrated, and you benefited greatly from Auburn, UT and LSU being down last year. There were no second half adjustments against Utah in that game. Looked like Les Miles or Fulmer was coaching out there. No doubt LSU has had MUCH better teams of late than last year's overrated Bama team. With Chavis over there, I'd say you are hardly a lock for the west in the future now that they will have a defense once again.

Utah scored 21 points in the first quarter before our team woke up. They scored 10 points the rest of the way. Yeah, "no adjustments". Good call. You should also note that I said going into year three, we're still not where we need to be. Our offense was short some very key players for that game. Not to mention, Utah was a good team - FAR better than the Vol team that Bama pummelled. I'd go so far as to say that Utah was even better than Wyoming.

Vol fans, don't let these Bamma blowhards fool you. They realize we stand a very good chance at beating their overrated team next year just like a much less talented Utah team did. I'll take our staff over their's any day of the week. Hell, we even took Saban's right hand man, Thompson because he realized our staff is better. That hurt Bama fans worst than they are letting on.

I promise you, 90% of Bama fans aren't very worried about the Vols this year. Could UT beat Bama this year? Sure, but so could MSU. You're not at the top of our list of worries. In fact, most of us are waiting with anticipation to see the train wreck that we think is likely coming Tennessee's way.

I'll overlook the outlandish homerism of your "best in all of football coaches" and just say, "yes, that is exactly what I'm telling you. wait and see."

Utah scored 21 points in the first quarter before our team woke up. They scored 10 points the rest of the way. Yeah, "no adjustments". Good call. You should also note that I said going into year three, we're still not where we need to be. Our offense was short some very key players for that game. Not to mention, Utah was a good team - FAR better than the Vol team that Bama pummelled. I'd go so far as to say that Utah was even better than Wyoming.

I promise you, 90% of Bama fans aren't very worried about the Vols this year. Could UT beat Bama this year? Sure, but so could MSU. You're not at the top of our list of worries. In fact, most of us are waiting with anticipation to see the train wreck that we think is likely coming Tennessee's way.

:lolabove:

Speaking of train wrecks, you used we, as in bama fans, and think in the same sentence. Regardless what transpires in October, that disaster is an absolute certainty.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:

Yeah you guys will be waiting on that train wreck to take place for a long time....Kiffin has too good of a staff in place IMO for him to fail, I'm not saying he has the best staff in the country but its definitely in the top 5-8, I'm going to politely agree to disagree with you....I will say this though and I have heard it from a lot of people on TV and everything...Everyone saying that Kiffin will fail and that its going to be bad on Rocky Top until Kiffin is gone and then it will be even worse after that are saying that because they know UT is on its way back to the top...Plain and simple

And I wouldn't say Bama pummeled anyone last year except for Auburn, if Ut even had a mediocre offense that game is alot closer and maybe even a different outcome, but whats done is done

Last edited:
I respect where Bama is right now, and how quickly Coach Saban has gotten that thing turned around down there. However, for ANY Bama fan to suggest you can simply overlook us, or that you really arent "that worried" about UT.....is either the worst kind blind homerism, sheer un-adulterated ignorance, or just a pathetic attempt at getting a rise out of people on a rivals message board. I suspect in this case its a bit of all 3. If that is really how the UA fan base feels.....I SINCERELY hope it represents the feelings of your players and coaches as well.

I dont care how many #1 recruiting classes Bama, our Vols or any other team in the nation puts together. They mean nothing until they strap on the pads in a big-time SEC football game, in front of 100k+, and contribute to a win. Acting like they are going to dominate the entire league just because they have recruited incredibly well is a bit on the premature side. Saban had a laughable stint in the NFL.....much like our new HC. I hope we get it turned around like Bama has.

To me, Bama is our biggest, most hated rival...regardless of what UF accomplishes. I want to trounce Bama every time we play them....just as I am sure they want to do the same to us. But I also respect the hell out of Coach Saban for the job he has done there. Lets not "crown" them the chosen one until they actually win a title, though. This should be a VERY interesting 10 years or so coming up, both in recruiting and on the field (if Nick stays put that long, and CLK doesnt get ran off). I cant wait. Go Vols!

Good post, BuckeyeVols. I agree with most of what you wrote.

- Bama will not overlook TN.
- Recruiting class rankings are for the amusement of fans. Performance on the field is what matters.
- The next 10 years of the Bama-TN rivalry will be highly entertaining. :yahoo:

I respect where Bama is right now, and how quickly Coach Saban has gotten that thing turned around down there. However, for ANY Bama fan to suggest you can simply overlook us, or that you really arent "that worried" about UT.....is either the worst kind blind homerism, sheer un-adulterated ignorance, or just a pathetic attempt at getting a rise out of people on a rivals message board. I suspect in this case its a bit of all 3. If that is really how the UA fan base feels.....I SINCERELY hope it represents the feelings of your players and coaches as well.

I dont care how many #1 recruiting classes Bama, our Vols or any other team in the nation puts together. They mean nothing until they strap on the pads in a big-time SEC football game, in front of 100k+, and contribute to a win. Acting like they are going to dominate the entire league just because they have recruited incredibly well is a bit on the premature side. Saban had a laughable stint in the NFL.....much like our new HC. I hope we get it turned around like Bama has.

To me, Bama is our biggest, most hated rival...regardless of what UF accomplishes. I want to trounce Bama every time we play them....just as I am sure they want to do the same to us. But I also respect the hell out of Coach Saban for the job he has done there. Lets not "crown" them the chosen one until they actually win a title, though. This should be a VERY interesting 10 years or so coming up, both in recruiting and on the field (if Nick stays put that long, and CLK doesnt get ran off). I cant wait. Go Vols!

You are right. Bama is our most hated rival historically. I think there are Vols fans who weren't old enough to remember those long streaks against us and the bitter resentment you felt after 5th, 6th, 7th years that they beat you in a row. I hate them, but the 1990s really fired up the Gator-UT rivalry. Before those days though I remember having that visceral hatred and fear when playing Auburn. The division changes in the SEC took away that great rivalry, but really made the Florida games something else.

Like I said (somewhere on here), I respect the UT football program. I didn't say anybody was "overlooking Tennessee" either. I said we're not worried about Tennessee. Those are two different scenarios completely.

But, as I also said, no matter how good Kiffin turns out to be, you're in the first year of a rebuilding job. How good to you REALLY expect to be? Yeah, you MIGHT beat Bama this year, but right now, what do you think the Vegas odds would be on that?

And, as I've also said (this makes three times in this thread) Bama still has a ways to go before there is the needed depth at all positions. Nobody is crowning anybody.......yet. I just find it laughable that so many of the posters on here are rationalizing all the other fans who are laughing at the blunders kiffin has been making by saying that "we're just scared". What is there to be scared of? UT has always been a good program. I don't think some young, rash guy fresh off a bad NFL stint is striking fear into the heart of anyone right now. If you guys start winning some games this year, that might change, but right now, nobody's any more worried about UT than they've ever been........ in fact, most of us feel like we have a year or two before you guys have any shot at being really good.

And I wouldn't say Bama pummeled anyone last year except for Auburn,

You didn't watch many games then.

if Ut even had a mediocre offense that game is alot closer and maybe even a different outcome, but whats done is done

Yeah, if UT had a better offense, it might have been closer. If the Chicago Bulls hadn't had Michael Jordan, they might not have won so many titles.

You didn't watch many games then.

Yeah, if UT had a better offense, it might have been closer. If the Chicago Bulls hadn't had Michael Jordan, they might not have won so many titles.
I wasn't taking anything away anything you guys did last year...I guess it just comes from a bunch of you all's fans getting on here and acting like your God's gift to football...You guys are getting to where you used to be but I don't think you will be as dominant as you once were, its just too competitive....Take my post how you wanna take it, I wasn't being a smart aleck but how else would a Bammer take it:peace2:

BTW, I watched enough of you all's games to know that you guys are lucky you put up points in the first half....Even you got admit in almost every game last year you all came out flat in the 2nd half and it almost cost you guys the game a time or two

Last edited:
I wasn't taking anything away anything you guys did last year...I guess it just comes from a bunch of you all's fans getting on here and acting like your God's gift to football...You guys are getting to where you used to be but I don't think you will be as dominant as you once were, its just too competitive....Take my post how you wanna take it, I wasn't being a smart aleck but how else would a Bammer take it:peace2:

BTW, I watched enough of you all's games to know that you guys are lucky you put up points in the first half....Even you got admit in almost every game last year you all came out flat in the 2nd half and it almost cost you guys the game a time or two

Fair enough.

Yeah, we definitely came out flat in a lot of the second half's last year. However, we had a big lead every time. I'm not saying that makes it OK, but that does tend to be the norm in any sport. I'd like to see that fixed this year. I don't want any more 31 point leads at halftime turning into 11 point wins. That's a lack of focus. But, we did have a very very young team. So, maybe they'll turn it around.

Fair enough.

Yeah, we definitely came out flat in a lot of the second half's last year. However, we had a big lead every time. I'm not saying that makes it OK, but that does tend to be the norm in any sport. I'd like to see that fixed this year. I don't want any more 31 point leads at halftime turning into 11 point wins. That's a lack of focus. But, we did have a very very young team. So, maybe they'll turn it around.

Yeah that just comes with being young...you may see that lot at the start of the year this year cause you all don't really have a proven quarterback do you? And one thing is for sure and 2008 for UT is a prime example, if you don't have even mediocre quarterback play its a long year

Last edited:
Alabama= only school in the NCAA that has paid a coach $8 mil over two years for 0 SEC or MNC's.

In January 2010 you can make it $12 mil for 0 SEC or MNC's.

And nothing from nothing is nothing.

Good post, BuckeyeVols. I agree with most of what you wrote.

- Bama will not overlook TN.
- Recruiting class rankings are for the amusement of fans. Performance on the field is what matters.
- The next 10 years of the Bama-TN rivalry will be highly entertaining. :yahoo:

You are right. Bama is our most hated rival historically. I think there are Vols fans who weren't old enough to remember those long streaks against us and the bitter resentment you felt after 5th, 6th, 7th years that they beat you in a row. I hate them, but the 1990s really fired up the Gator-UT rivalry. Before those days though I remember having that visceral hatred and fear when playing Auburn. The division changes in the SEC took away that great rivalry, but really made the Florida games something else.

Sorry to say but bama had a string of 11 in a row against us, the bastards.

Yeah that just comes with being young...you may see that lot at the start of the year this year cause you all don't really have a proven quarterback do you? And one thing is for sure and 2008 for UT is a prime example, if you don't have even mediocre quarterback play its a long year

I'm not too worried about the QB position. McElroy will be fine. He's not going to dazzle anyone, but he's very smart, knows the system, and has good touch. If we have growing pains, it will be along the O-line.

I'm not too worried about the QB position. McElroy will be fine. He's not going to dazzle anyone, but he's very smart, knows the system, and has good touch. If we have growing pains, it will be along the O-line.
Well the way Saban's offense is you don't have to have a QB that will dazzle, he just has to manage...John Parker Wilson is a perfect example of that IMO

Well the way Saban's offense is you don't have to have a QB that will dazzle, he just has to manage...John Parker Wilson is a perfect example of that IMO

That's my point. Although, I do expect a little more passing this year since we likely won't have as dominant a run-blocking line as we had last year.

VN Store

Back