Saban, Bama recruiting, and the 3rd Saturday in October

Duckhook

I admit it up front: I no longer believe anything can be done to stop Saban. Bama just reeled in another 5 star commit today, heading for at least another top 3 class, and the rich continue to get richer. A huge part of this is my belief that Auburn is no longer even a threat to Bama for the next decade...they're done until Saban exits. So, the question becomes, can LK catch up and match him step for step on a continual basis? The answer to this question can't be found just yet, but here is the fear:

For anyone who lived through 1971-1981 and/or 1986-1994, you will understand this. Bama is literally within an eyeleash of unleashing a 3rd such streak on UT. Winners of the past 2 games (by 44 combined points, I might add), and certain to be heavily favored in Tuscaloosa this year, Bama will probably return to Neyland in 2010 with its most talented team in over a decade. If they win these next 2, I don't think LK can stop them from running off about 7-8 in a row in the series.

LK really needs to literally stem the Tide in 2009 or 2010, or he and Volnation may be SOL for awhile. Just look at the talent assuming Saban stays. Can anyone handle this for a THIRD time?

Do you know how to pray?

We just gotta grit our teeth and bite through it. It'll be a lot better in a few years...

It'd be nice if talent determined the outcome of games. We'd have beaten UCLA, USCe, and Wyoming last year.

Do you know how to pray?

We just gotta grit our teeth and bite through it. It'll be a lot better in a few years...

I would be willing to wager that 2010-2013 will see a Bama pinnacle under Saban. They will be filthy during these years, with an attitude to boot. You're right...it can be done. Pray hard.

It'd be nice if talent determined the outcome of games. We'd have beaten UCLA, USCe, and Wyoming last year.

Nonsense, plain and simple. Talent is paramount in the college game. Lane Kiffin knows this more than anyone...that's why he's here.

Better talent = more victories.

Nonsense, plain and simple. Talent is paramount in the college game. Lane Kiffin knows this more than anyone...that's why he's here.

So, you're saying our talent wasn't good enough to beat Wyoming? If that's the case our season should suck bigtime this year.

One man, Monte Kiffin. Actually talent is one thing and it could be a while before we overcome that, but this staff can bring motivation, game planning, and energy to the table hopefully at a higher level. After all, those reasons along with national recruiting in a hard place to recruit from, are why we brought this staff in, and what I feel like we were missing the last two years when we got blown out. It looked like our players didn't even know it was a rivalry.

So, you're saying our talent wasn't good enough to beat Wyoming? If that's the case our season should suck bigtime this year.

I'm saying that talent does "actually determine the outcome of games". This handy excuse always seems to get pulled out when needed against a rival who is amassing talent...aka Bama and Florida. Looks like their talent determined the outcome of those games in 2008.

Funny the way that is.

I was simply providing proof that just because a team is more talented, doesn't guarantee them a victory; therefore, your assessment that Alabama should beat Tennessee in the years ahead is flawed.

One man, Monte Kiffin. Actually talent is one thing and it could be a while before we overcome that, but this staff can bring motivation, game planning, and energy to the table hopefully at a higher level. After all, those reasons along with national recruiting in a hard place to recruit from, are why we brought this staff in, and what I feel like we were missing the last two years when we got blown out. It looked like our players didn't even know it was a rivalry.

when your mind is set the right way, you can do anything. except fly.

oh look, another thread by duckhook telling us how good bammer is going to be and how UT is doomed at the hands of the mighty Saban.

I was simply providing proof that just because a team is more talented, doesn't guarantee them a victory; therefore, your assessment that Alabama should beat Tennessee in the years ahead is flawed.
Exactly. Tennessee lost a bunch of games in the past to Bammer and Florida under past coaches when they were favored and had much better players on the field, on paper.

I admit it up front: I no longer believe anything can be done to stop Saban. Bama just reeled in another 5 star commit today, heading for at least another top 3 class, and the rich continue to get richer. A huge part of this is my belief that Auburn is no longer even a threat to Bama for the next decade...they're done until Saban exits. So, the question becomes, can LK catch up and match him step for step on a continual basis? The answer to this question can't be found just yet, but here is the fear:

For anyone who lived through 1971-1981 and/or 1986-1994, you will understand this. Bama is literally within an eyeleash of unleashing a 3rd such streak on UT. Winners of the past 2 games (by 44 combined points, I might add), and certain to be heavily favored in Tuscaloosa this year, Bama will probably return to Neyland in 2010 with its most talented team in over a decade. If they win these next 2, I don't think LK can stop them from running off about 7-8 in a row in the series.

LK really needs to literally stem the Tide in 2009 or 2010, or he and Volnation may be SOL for awhile. Just look at the talent assuming Saban stays. Can anyone handle this for a THIRD time?

Yes, Bama will be loaded. But there's a difference between loaded and unbeatable. The first streak predates me but I lived through the 1986-1994 streak and Alabama wasn't the better team every time they beat UT. There were some years when UT had the better team and Alabama still won. I definitely thought there was a mental block there.

First off CLK has to match up with Alabama in recruiting. This is tough but doable, especially considering the sharks he hired to recruit. I'm also hopeful that player evaluation will be a strength of this staff where they might gain an edge. Figure out which 3 stars will make good SEC players and which 5 stars are headed for bustville. I'm not real worried about the game day coaching with this staff either. If USC is any indication the new UT team will be a big game team that will have no trouble getting fired up for Alabama. CLK is a couple of years behind NS but I think he'll be able to match up with him.

Bama is on fire right now for recruiting. They will be playing for championships soon and it will be a fight for second place in the SEC West. Bama UT is a rivalry of streaks and I sure hope we can stop the streak. They have built momentum against us and I would hate to live through the 1986-1994 era again. That was absolutely miserable.

Bama is on fire right now for recruiting. They will be playing for championships soon and it will be a fight for second place in the SEC West. Bama UT is a rivalry of streaks and I sure hope we can stop the streak. They have built momentum against us and I would hate to live through the 1986-1994 era again. That was absolutely miserable.

Floridas miny streaks against us have been asinine also...

Yes, Bama will be loaded. But there's a difference between loaded and unbeatable. The first streak predates me but I lived through the 1986-1994 streak and Alabama wasn't the better team every time they beat UT. There were some years when UT had the better team and Alabama still won. I definitely thought there was a mental block there.

First off CLK has to match up with Alabama in recruiting. This is tough but doable, especially considering the sharks he hired to recruit. I'm also hopeful that player evaluation will be a strength of this staff where they might gain an edge. Figure out which 3 stars will make good SEC players and which 5 stars are headed for bustville. I'm not real worried about the game day coaching with this staff either. If USC is any indication the new UT team will be a big game team that will have no trouble getting fired up for Alabama. CLK is a couple of years behind NS but I think he'll be able to match up with him.

Alabama may have won the game in Knoxville last year but had we had an offense worth a crap we would have beat them. They won 90% of their games last year cause they played ball control and held on to it the whole game. Just my opinion though
Posted via VolNation Mobile

That first streak ('71-81) got started with a bama grad coaching us who was awestruck by the bear ( i have no proof of this, but i feel certain in my heart that bear called him 'son' when they would have their pregame chat on the field). They did NOT have a talent advantage early in that streak. In the later years they did. but it always seemed to me that they were so in our heads.
With that said THIS coaching staff has no concept of cowering under any hc / staff / or team. Other teams are gonna get good players, theres no way around that. This staff has no affect on that other than winning some key recruiting battles. The point is however to take care of the things they can control and we will be fine.

Good luck with that attitude Sparky. Nothing like giving up before the game is even played. With all due respect to my fellow Vol, but this post belongs on a bama site.

VN Store

Back