Russell Smith reporting Kellie Jolly-Harper has been hired

For some of you that live in the perfect snowflake world you may have missed the last few coaching search's for a football coach. or the last couple for a men's basketball coach. Or you may have forgetting how a lot of those have turned out. So this search was uneventful and there are no guarantees in finding a women's coach. Coach KJH will get more out of her players than warlick ever thought about. But you have to remember 1 thing womens basketball is still a money losing sport and for that to succeed you have to have someone that wants to be here. Now you do.

Reading over a few post a few weeks ago about the Women's team I saw majority of people wanted her back home, but reading over alot of these post it seems this is a bad hire. I can tell you one thing alot of posters here on Volnation are bipolar.. :)

Reading over a few post a few weeks ago about the Women's team I saw majority of people wanted her back home, but reading over alot of these post it seems this is a bad hire. I can tell you one thing alot of posters here on Volnation are bipolar.. :)
BVS is alive and spreading into LV basketball. I guess they weren't immune after all.

2y4kwq.jpg

Reactions: WVU05UT09
No all the folks that were saying replace Holly with a monkey and we will be happy and better were living in a dream world that Waltz, McGraw, Graves, Muffet and Geno and others would actually jump at this chance but in truth just like the football program this is not the greatest job on the planet! But KJH will be a good steady hire! May take a couple years to weed out and reload but she will do it!

I think alot of disappointment comes from the idea that all during Holly's tenure alot of us just assumed once Holly did go...that this would be a job that the top coaches in womens basketball would give their right arm to be the coach of.

All of the tip-top coaches I’d have been interested in — Tara, Kim, McGraw, Schaefer, Rueck — are either established icons of their institutions and never going ANYwhere else (Tara, Kim, McGraw), already coaching in their dream job in their beloved homeland (Rueck), or in direct line TOO take his alma mater dream job in his beloved homeland (Schaefer). Walz actively campaigned for the job but it turned out that past issues soured OUR interest, not the other way around.

And so I imagine that Connecticut fans are yukking it up over the fact that no “top-level coach” took the job, but to that, I would ask this:

If Geno were to retire tomorrow and a nationwide search were held, which of those top coaches on my list above would immediately jump to take the job at Connecticut? Even most CT fans used to believe that their next coach will be a prized assistant — their own Shea Ralph — or possibly a former player, Jennifer Rizzotti. Do they think any of the last coaches to beat them regularly would be willing to leave the places where they are institutions in order to replace Geno, despite Connecticut being at the very top of WCBB? I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:
So...I guess the only requirements on your resume to be the Lady Vol coach is...

Sex : W
Experience : Was a Lady Vol player once.

You're hired!!

Reactions: OldNSlow
This is what the blue hairs wanted, so they can choke on this one. You guys keep going to the well of Pat but it's all dried up.

This is what the blue hairs wanted, so they can choke on this one. You guys keep going to the well of Pat but it's all dried up.

Yep. Its almost like people that keep hiring bill belichick assistants hoping for the next super bowl winning coach and constantly failing. But hey she's a former lady vol so she's completely qualified based on that alone.....\sarcasm

Reactions: TrésDay
She'll need to want it. She's been battling health issues so that's a driving factor. I wouldn't be surprised if we went a different direction.
I had hoped the health issues were more in the control. I pray she makes the best decision for her and if she wants it as Kelli did here that she gets it. Mo State who gave us Martin who I did not care for and Kellie back is my 2nd most favorite team now. I will follow and please come back and visit us again on VN!

Reactions: creekdipper
She is a .500 winning coach and just like Bill Parcells says 'YOU ARE WHAT YOUR RECORD SAYS YOU ARE"........so, I'm giving her a HUGE CHANCE, but really NOT EXPECTING MUCH as if something is going to change in her coaching style going forward......she will be a middle of the road SEC coach in my opinion

It is literally like people refuse to learn from something that happened so recently. There are so many variables. There is an evolution of coaching ability. We do not know, before she even starts the job, that she will fail. And it ignorant and honestly disrespectful to place that on her before she even starts. She has failed at 1 semi-big program and it was when she was a very young coach. She now has grown and evolved as a coach and had success at a school with very limited resources. She will now be coaching with the most amount of experience and resources that she has had at any point in her career. Plus the added element of her passion for a program she loves. Don't tell me she won't feel even more incentive to get it right at UT when recruiting and coaching. Now does any of that mean she will 100% be successful, nope. But does it mean she has failed before she started, hell no. Ya'll are ridiculous. And honestly embarrassing. Support a new coach until it is obvious she is not getting the job done. Novel idea.

If Holly would have had Missouri State team this year what would their record had been. Opinion? Missouri did beat them 65 to 61 @ Missouri early in season. My be only common opponent. Dis MSU have a better roster than Lady Vols?

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
If we were gonna hire a .500 coach who was a former Lady Vol, I would rather have had Nikki Caldwell.

Same, but we were not willing pay her, and honestly she wasn't worth what she would've required to be paid, anyway.

This all could've been rectified by hiring Ivey but oh damn well.

Soon the new boarders who probably wrote similar messages when the football team and the basketball team were hiring one coach after the other. I forgot the Athletic Directors also! will move on. It has become so easy to write words on a screen - now called fake news in response to the importance of social media.

I admit to being a senior +, I observed Kelly throughout her career at UT and attended all the Final-Fours. I believe recruiting will not suffer (not: believe) I believe her experience getting the maximum out of non-top 150 recruits will translate in increasing performance from top 40 recruits.

the question now - is who will be future assistants, particularly the post coach and the recruiting coordinator.

You have to know they knew for a while this was the direction they were going in.

The 2019 Kay Yow Coach of the year will be under a huge amount of stress. I admire her loyalty and love for the university, but it will be painful to watch if she doesn't succeed. Best of luck to her.

VN Store

Back