Rupp Rafters

Who do Kentucky fans have replacing Cal? Scott Drew? Nate Oats? I'd love if they hired Oats. It would make Kentucky and Alabama both worse.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
there were some serious gems in there. Amongst all the wild language, he called Cal an "f'n, sob, dvd, ged, l m n o p." Another gem, that his "body has gravitational pull that effect our shots..." Just an unreal mess of a post.
Garbage juice and was beat by bruce was my fave line

Reactions: WhiteMike81
True, but that’s many teams. You take elbow throwing Oscar off of UK the last 2 years with all those rebounds, and it’s a different team. Impact players have impact. Mahomes carried the Chiefs. Lebron carried the Cavs to their title. It’s not uncommon in sports.
Danny Manning probably the best example ever. That Kansas team had decent role players, but Manning played about as well as one could in the tournament.

True, but that’s many teams. You take elbow throwing Oscar off of UK the last 2 years with all those rebounds, and it’s a different team. Impact players have impact. Mahomes carried the Chiefs. Lebron carried the Cavs to their title. It’s not uncommon in sports.
Mahomes didn’t carry the Chiefs. That defense was salty.

Basketball is a different sport, though. One man can carry a team. Football is more of a team sport.

Mahomes didn’t carry the Chiefs. That defense was salty.

Basketball is a different sport, though. One man can carry a team. Football is more of a team sport.
Point taken, but there are many times Mahomes did carry them on the offensive side of the ball.

Basketball examples can be Lebron with Cleveland, Walton, etc. Dhaw at times on his career, etc. Players who were the focal point of their teams plans and success. It’s happened in basketball too. An offense running through a guy, as suggested about Knecht, doesn’t make a team a 1 man team as many have called Tennessee. It makes them smart.

Point taken, but there are many times Mahomes did carry them on the offensive side of the ball.

Basketball examples can be Lebron with Cleveland, Walton, etc. Dhaw at times on his career, etc. Players who were the focal point of their teams plans and success. It’s happened in basketball too. An offense running through a guy, as suggested about Knecht, doesn’t make a team a 1 man team as many have called Tennessee. It makes them smart.
Mahomes carried the offense. On that we agree. But without that defense, he doesn’t have the opportunity to make clutch plays at the end. The defense kept it close when the offense struggled. Football is the ultimate team sport.

Jordan is the ultimate example in basketball.

Mahomes carried the offense. On that we agree. But without that defense, he doesn’t have the opportunity to make clutch plays at the end. The defense kept it close when the offense struggled. Football is the ultimate team sport.

Jordan is the ultimate example in basketball.
No argument here. I wasn’t referring to this just year with KC, but was talking about offense as that was the point LittleCat said about Knecht.
Yeah, Jordan is the obvious example. Haha. However, anyone who calls the 90’s Bulls a “1 man team” is mistaken. That’s all I’m saying, is that it’s silly to knock our team because the offense goes through Knecht. It’s silly to call them a 1 man team, as many have.

Last edited:
Larry Bird carrying Indiana State to an undefeated season all the way up to the finals.
What a magical season for Terre Haute. One they will never forget. Bird used to have a restaurant called "Boston Connection" there for years. I think it's closed down now. Man Terre Haute has this funky stench about it. A big slaughter house is/was the reason. Been awhile since I've been there so don't know if it's still around.

What a magical season for Terre Haute. One they will never forget. Bird used to have a restaurant called "Boston Connection" there for years. I think it's closed down now. Man Terre Haute has this funky stench about it. A big slaughter house is/was the reason. Been awhile since I've been there so don't know if it's still around.
I'll be there in summer so I should get a good picture of any potential stench. 😄

Danny Manning probably the best example ever. That Kansas team had decent role players, but Manning played about as well as one could in the tournament.
Kemba Walker and his Championship leading run was great also. UCONN depended on Kemba just as much as Kansas did Danny Manning.

Both guys were great in that 3 week span, Kemba's run actually started in conference tournament that year.

Reactions: CornbreadVol
Going back to the thread title, I peeked over there at Rupp Rafters at halftime of the Texas game. Boy the long knives are out for Cal. Police guarding his house, and people placing (or attempting to place) real estate signs there. Based on what happened with Jimbo at TA&M, I detect the same inertia even though there is a HUGE buyout. He's toast in the court of KY opinion. Also they are calling for the head of the guy who approved the contract. Seems the guys making stupid deals with someone else's money should be accountable.

I think Cal has coached his last game in Rupp.

I would go completely outside the Box. KY needs a coach and the thing that kept them in the mix every year was their ability to recruit, retain and coach them up. Cal is a joke with his facts and farms KY out as a G Team ladder to the NBA and with the one & done. Ky would never go for it but Greg McDermott would be the right fit for them. You get nothing with Oats and Pearl they are shinny objects and would be like chasing cows for show.

Not sure where this needs to be but it involves KY basketball. Maybe it’s just me but there seems to be some odd things going on here. Or maybe it’s just the underbelly of the NIL situation that we are all going to have to live with. “La Famiglia”? Really?

Reactions: Orange.
I would go completely outside the Box. KY needs a coach and the thing that kept them in the mix every year was their ability to recruit, retain and coach them up. Cal is a joke with his facts and farms KY out as a G Team ladder to the NBA and with the one & done. Ky would never go for it but Greg McDermott would be the right fit for them. You get nothing with Oats and Pearl they are shinny objects and would be like chasing cows for show.
Jerry Stackhouse could do special things in Lexington. Special achievements that would also benefit the basketball Vols as well.

VN Store

Back