Rupp Rafters

I don't mean the fans per se - more so the administration. No school that is a basketball school (which really means "bad at football" more than it does "good at basketball") actually set out to become one. The cookie just crumbled that way for them over the years.

If you're good at football, you're a football school. It doesn't matter how good the basketball team might be as well. Wisconsin is a great example of this. Historically, their basketball program has been basically just as good as football, but nobody thinks of them as a basketball school. Since the 80s, Michigan's basketball team has been just as, if not more successful than their football program but obviously nobody thinks of them as a basketball school.

If UNC or Duke had historically dominant football programs, everyone would call them football schools even if they also had the basketball success to go along with it. Football is simply the far more popular sport.
Tried to come up with a counter example but the best I could do was UCLA. Historically a good football program but you cannot think about UCLA without thinking about the Wooten teams.

Reactions: Pennheel
I don't mean the fans per se - more so the administration. No school that is a basketball school (which really means "bad at football" more than it does "good at basketball") actually set out to become one. The cookie just crumbled that way for them over the years.

If you're good at football, you're a football school. It doesn't matter how good the basketball team might be as well. Wisconsin is a great example of this. Historically, their basketball program has been basically just as good as football, but nobody thinks of them as a basketball school. Since the 80s, Michigan's basketball team has been just as, if not more successful than their football program but obviously nobody thinks of them as a basketball school.

If UNC or Duke had historically dominant football programs, everyone would call them football schools even if they also had the basketball success to go along with it. Football is simply the far more popular sport.
At one time Vanderbilt was considered a basketball school.

Tried to come up with a counter example but the best I could do was UCLA. Historically a good football program but you cannot think about UCLA without thinking about the Wooten teams.
Everyone will think of UCLA(as they should as a basketball school....Maybe not this year) due to that period of success,and recent Final Four runs. In regards to basketball schools wishing they were football schools, I'd say that's true to an extent. I wish that UNC was better at football. These last few years with Mack Brown constantly and frustratingly underachieving with 1st round QBs and NFL talent are living proof of that. They're content being the master of one and jack of all trades judging from the ADs reluctance to make a change in football.

One thing I'll give the SEC credit for is how they've went out and hired better coaches in mens basketball and as a result will likely get 7 teams in the tournament. Ironically, the ACC isn't fairing too well.

Yes, football is more popular, but from school administrations' viewpoints the most important thing by a long shot is that it is far more profitable, especially if you have a successful P-5 football program on an annual basis. Money trumps everything else.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennheel

VN Store

Back