Rumor in Nashville

I would bet money if the next 3 seasons under Barnes we made the NCAAT and didn't make it past the round of 32, he'd complain.

I bet if RB doesn't get UT to the tournament in the next 3 seasons , you'd still come up with excuses for him

I bet if RB doesn't get UT to the tournament in the next 3 seasons , you'd still come up with excuses for him

Try again, if we aren't at least a strong bubble team this year I think he should be gone, and if Year 4 he doesn't make it he for sure should be gone.

When it's clear we're going nowhere with him, it's time to go, but I'm not making that call after 2 seasons.

Reactions: 1 person
If he could recruit as well as he coached, then we could be a perennial Final 4 team!

He might have been told that he has zero tolerance to play in the gray area. Plus the most desired recruits generally need to be worked on for many years. Highly rated recruits that are uncommitted late in the process probably come with a lot of baggage.

It's funny that CRB constantly gets slammed for being a lazy recruiter... yet he picked up
Pons in France and he beat out other programs for Darrington and Daniel.

Reactions: 3 people
Try again, if we aren't at least a strong bubble team this year I think he should be gone, and if Year 4 he doesn't make it he for sure should be gone.

When it's clear we're going nowhere with him, it's time to go, but I'm not making that call after 2 seasons.

That's where I'm at. This is basketball, not football. He has had some limitations put on him by our overall PR issues at UT lately, but he has a complete team now - maybe not the most talented in the world - but a complete team nonetheless.

Just like most people, I thought Barnes would recruit lights out, and then fumble around with his teams on the court. It has turned out just the opposite, which is fine with me, so long as his teams continue to progress, and get the maximum out of their abilities.

This team should show significant improvement over last year. If not, then I would be more than happy to see us move on to another coach. We could say Barnes righted the ship so to speak, and got us out of hot water with the NCAA, and now it is simply time to move forward.

I sure wish Barnes created a lot more energy around the program, but if can just get us into the tourney 3 out of the next 4 years, I will be happy.

Assuming the team doesn't implode, I believe that making the 2019 and 2020 NCAATs are nearly certain. Making the 2018 NCAAT will be quite an accomplishment... it will be much more likely if there aren't any players suspended or lost to injuries. Seems like we've had a lot of those losses over the last 15 years.

I would bet money if the next 3 seasons under Barnes we made the NCAAT and didn't make it past the round of 32, he'd complain.

This

And this

IMO TN is in as good a shape now as they've been in any of the previous 7 seasons. CCM's 3rd year looked to be really good, but that team nearly missed the NCAAT and it looked like there would be a drop off after graduating several important players.

People keep ignoring how much of a dumpster fire the program was 2 years ago.

Reactions: 2 people
IMO TN is in as good a shape now as they've been in any of the previous 7 seasons. CCM's 3rd year looked to be really good, but that team nearly missed the NCAAT and it looked like there would be a drop off after graduating several important players.

Yeah they do, but it doesn't fit their agenda, and they think any coach we hire should produce Pearl-like results in year 1.

Yeah they do, but it doesn't fit their agenda, and they think any coach we hire should produce Pearl-like results in year 1.

The Pearl-like results were primed with the roster that Buzz left for him. That's another thing that's conveniently ignored. Take away JaJuan Smith, Dane Bradshaw, Chris Lofton, and C.J. Watson and the Pearl era would have been much different out of the gate.

This is pretty much spot on. I don't think most really understand why CRB was brought in anyway. We were in a miserable place in bb and he's solidify our program and hopefully returning a level of respect and dignity to the program again. I want to win at an extremely high level too but I try to keep the big picture formost in my mind instead of screaming "fire the coach",...especially one with the respect CRB brings to the table!!!

Answer this...In the last 20 years how many coaches in Year 1 at their respective schools have won 22+ games, won their conference regular season, and gotten a 2 seed or better in the NCAAT?

I'm betting you can't name 3.

You'd win that bet, because I don't care. What I do care about is UT being relevant again. It's not happening.

Rick wasn't some coach just getting started. a coach wirh his background should've hit the ground running

Biggest letdown by far is recruiting

You'd win that bet, because I don't care. What I do care about is UT being relevant again. It's not happening.

Then you know exactly what Chris' point is, your expectations for a new coach regardless of who it is are irrational and simply setting the coach up for failure (in your book).

Rick wasn't some coach just getting started. a coach wirh his background should've hit the ground running

I get that stance but am not willing to jump on board without seeing the results of Year 3...if this season produces a NCAAT trip then I think his plan and recruiting was just fine.

He wasn't going for a quick fix, he wanted to build a foundation so that much like at Texas this program would be making trips to the dance for the next 17 seasons if he had it his way. Whether that plan works out or not, again I don't know, but I think Year 3 will give us that answer.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

The program was an absolute dumpster fire two years ago. Highly rated recruits would be foolish to sign when there's near zero probability for several years to come of making the NCAAT field the and uncertainty surrounding the program after two recent coaches were fired and given show cause penalties. The biggest set backs so far, IMO, are the injuries and weeding out the guys that aren't on board with the program. I like the way the roster looks even without all the star rankings. Maybe top 100 projected players haven't been signing, but I'll bet that Williams is a top 100 rising Sophomore.

Reactions: 2 people
Lather, rinse, repeat.

The program was an absolute dumpster fire two years ago. Highly rated recruits would be foolish to sign when there's near zero probability for several years to come of making the NCAAT field the and uncertainty surrounding the program after two recent coaches were fired and given show cause penalties. The biggest set backs so far, IMO, are the injuries and weeding out the guys that aren't on board with the program. I like the way the roster looks even without all the star rankings. Maybe top 100 projected players haven't been signing, but I'll bet that Williams is a top 100 rising Sophomore.

He doesn't want to acknowledge any of that, so you're wasting your breath unfortunately. But, you're right.

30 must believe that rebuilding a college basketball program from nearly the ground up is easy peasy. I mean look at the landscape of college coaching. It's happening every day.

If they'd hired a younger guy, and UT was his first power conference job, I can understand giving him 3/4 years.

Rick Barnes is an established, successful coach. He should be recruiting at a higher level. He's got some good players, but they will have to improve greatly to sniff the tournament or finish in the top half of the SEC.

He doesn't want to acknowledge any of that, so you're wasting your breath unfortunately. But, you're right.

30 must believe that rebuilding a college basketball program from nearly the ground up is easy peasy. I mean look at the landscape of college coaching. It's happening every day.

It's not easy, but it's not like Butch had it. A few good players will turn it around if the right players were recruited

If they'd hired a younger guy, and UT was his first power conference job, I can understand giving him 3/4 years.

Rick Barnes is an established, successful coach. He should be recruiting at a higher level. He's got some good players, but they will have to improve greatly to sniff the tournament or finish in the top half of the SEC.

I can't understand hiring anybody and not giving them at least 3 or 4 years.

If Barnes isn't able to get it done, some inexperienced young guy certainly couldn't. It's a dumpster fire and Tennessee is fortunate to have Barnes working on putting it out.

VN Store

Back