Rob Lewis on Aidoo

I think he is a skilled player that unfortunately could not match the physicality of Zach Edey. He needs to be in that weight room and the old country buffet all summer long. He’s a good player but taking 15-20 foot jump shots is not his game and he took way too many of those the last two games. Awaka might have a higher upside ultimately, and I was really impressed with JP Estrella’s effort today. He was asked to do the impossible and he hung in there. Phillips also had some good moments during the season, so the future is bright in the front court.

Somebody said the radio guys mentioned that Jonas may have been sick too. Will be curious to see if it comes out. I know Santi hadn’t recovered from his bout with it . He was pale as a ghost.
Then perhaps I've been too hard on him. Hard to battle when you're ill. Just another example of our crappy luck.

Estrella surprised me in a very good way.

The book has been written on Aidoo, I wouldn’t be surprised if he moves on, it’s going to be hard to come back from his very obvious deficiencies. Nothing against him at all but he may need a fresh start.
Estrella looking the best he ever has is an indictment on how athletic Edey is. I appreciated JP's game today though

Must have had a roll of charmin before the game!
Jp done pretty damn good in n my book

That one and done SEC Tourney game against Miss State Aidoo had only 5 pts in 26 mins of play. I'm wondering if he is suffering from an injury or has he just checked out.

Reactions: Native Orange
Barnes was complimentary of Estrella and how well he stood up to Edey’s physicality. Said something to the effect of maybe we should use him offensively next year like Purdue uses Edey.

Jonas needs to spend the entire off season developing an 8-12 foot jumper. If he can push himself to shoot thousands of those shots over the next several months, he could be deadly.

Not sure what was up the last couple of games, but he seemed to have lost a half step. Seemed timid and somewhat intimidated.

Imagine having Awaka in the paint and Aidoo kind of like a hybrid low post wing player with a jump shot....

In this day and age, it would suck, but I could see him transferring. I hope he is the dedicated person I think he is.

Reactions: knox73
Barnes said all that needed to be said when he benched Aidoo against Creighton very early in the second half and again today. He was a complete liability on both ends of the court.

I want him to succeed but he completely wilted under the pressure of the last two games on offense and, even worse, on defense.
On defense, several times he moved high to help out, and waited too late to move back down on Edey. JP did a better job of paying attention and getting down low before Edey, to keep him farther from the basket when he got his passes.

I really think that a little better inside game on both ends could have won this one today.

Reactions: JoeMiltonsAgent
Looked like Aidoo had a towel over his head and skipped the handshake line otw to the locker room. I hope this sets a fire under him for 24-25'.
Now that we have a transfer portal we need to find another big. Aidoo is taking up space on the roster. It looked like he was coming around mid-season but it's just not there. He had some big games but against those centers Awaka or Estrella could have done the same. He has the length/reach but no physicality.

Reactions: Native Orange
Barnes was complimentary of Estrella and how well he stood up to Edey’s physicality. Said something to the effect of maybe we should use him offensively next year like Purdue uses Edey.
I was going to mention that. Sounds like Aidoo will have to fight to be ahead of Awaka and Estrella.

I think he is injured. He didn’t look right when he tried to move.

Defense against Edey is all about strength and weight. Ya'll all need to consider that Aidoo has little of both and is more a finesse player. He's been great most of the year but simply didn't match up well against the oak tree. The others did better but still got abused by him. I'm proud of how hard Awaka and especially Estrella played, but some of you are acting like Edey didn't go for a career high today. He's just impossible to stop without double teaming (or triple if you include the stripes).
One-on-one with Edey was the right call, because in all the previous games Purdue shredded opponents who doubled and left their perimeter unguarded. Aidoo really couldn't get it done, but he's had excellent games against other big men who aren't elite, and he's super value against most teams where his perimeter defense is a big strength. He's got another year to figure it out, and hopefully he will get to the point where he can keep these big guys catching the ball further out where we can get some help.

I don’t think all 3 stay (Aidoo / Estrella / Awaka). Aidoo is what he is . . . And the sample size is probably big enough to know he will continue to struggle against a true big.

Time will tell on Awaka and Estrella . . . But Awaka is simply not tall enough . . .

VN Store

Back